Astrometry and G-type star population density

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 8:52 pm

I've recently obtained a fixation in the subject of astrometrics and I was wondering if the population densities of G-type stars within, say, an hundred light years diameter out from Sol has already been mapped. I have a rough idea of how I might do this with some simple vector math using the data from the tabular data included with this map (showing the point locations of each star), http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/50lys.html , although I'm uncertain as to how best to do this and when done what the best units might be. Something like G-type star per cubic deca-lightyear? Has this been done already though so that I'd be merely wasting my time recreating the work of another or would it be worthwhile to do this anyhow?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 9:12 pm

I'm not sure but I suspect such an investigation has taken place. But I don't want to discourage you from doing this it would definitely be an interesting and worthwhile project. Even if it has already been done it would be a fun exercise IMO

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 10:30 pm

Here you go...

http://www.solstation.com/stars3/100-gs.htm

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 10:00 am

DeaconBlues wrote:

That data is also useful although not quite directional which I would be intending to do by plotting them on a map, however it is interesting to notice the increase of G-type stars between 40-50 light years out increases by a quantity of 22, prior to which - in concentric shell 30-40 - the increase was merely 1. Afterward the next largest increase is within concentric shell 70-80 which is, by sheer nature of geometry, dispersed throughout a volume of approximately 707906 cubic lightyears as compared to concentric shell 40-50 for which the quantity of G-type stars is dispersed over approximately 255516 cubic light years, a factor of 2.77 less volume for the quantity of G-type stars to be scattered amongst. What would be interesting to me is to determine how far apart they are from each other. The population density of G-type stars in concentric shells is a nice tool for seeing a pattern that doesn't quite go with the increase in volume, however if they were scattered throughout such concentric shells evenly, rather than grouped, such would be logistically useless. Perhaps just dividing it into cubes and seeing which cubes have the most quantity would be better?