How was your first week of college/university?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 2:15 pm

I'm starting university next week and I was just interested in other people's experiences of their first week of college/uni.
For example did you find it fun? Meet some nice people? Get drunk at one point? Find out that your flatmates or roomates are nuts? :lol:

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 10:29 pm

No, I didn't find it fun. No I didn't make any friends (throughout the whole 4 years). Nope, I don't get invited to parties. Then I didn't live in the dorms, so I can't answer that last one.

karenina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Sep 2011, 11:00 am

I had a really good time in my first week at uni. It's one of the few occasions where everyone is going to be very enthusiastic to talk to anyone new, simply because no one knows who their friends will be yet.

The student bar in my halls was so crowded I couldn't bring myself to go in there, but I found that I could sometimes stand outside and talk to the smokers. My next door neighbour was fantastic. He actually brought me a drink out once because he'd noticed I wasn't going in. We spent a lot of fresher's week playing cards in my room. This was 6 years ago and a lot of the people I met that week are still my friends now. Actually I currently live with two of them.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 11:16 am

Cyanide wrote:
No, I didn't find it fun. No I didn't make any friends (throughout the whole 4 years). Nope, I don't get invited to parties. Then I didn't live in the dorms, so I can't answer that last one.

Ah well I suppose it isn't fun or good for everyone. Thanks for answering! :D

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

Eldanesh
Toucan
Toucan

15 Sep 2011, 3:56 pm

I found frosh week as they called it tiring and forgettable.

Regards,
Eldanesh

Drezden
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Sep 2011, 10:28 pm

My roommate was the coolest kid from Indiana, a film major. We became really good friends because he was sort of an outcast too. I unfortunately fell head first into alcohol and other things because it helped me be more social, but I started missing class and it just wasn't a good situation. Moderation is something I wish I'd had. It was fun, but being away from home for the first time in a place where I didn't know a single person made me depressed and lonely at first, but a lot of people are going through that too so people are mostly friendly, and it's fun.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 10:40 pm

When I finally had the financial aid to go to college, my thought was "Yeah, I'm in college! I've always wanted to go to college." After a while, I became disillusioned and now believe it to be little more than a scam to gain money through gullible people who have been convinced throughout their childhood of the importance of college. Personally, I rather wish I had gone the way of Nathaniel Bowditch and never had been able to afford college and instead just continued learning autodidactically for the rest of my life without gaining debt. It's far better to spend less and learn more than to learn less and spend more.

Sniffletouille
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Sep 2011, 12:14 am

Its only been a week?!

Taylor1002
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 7:40 pm

My first week was pretty stressful. I had been told that professors give the least amount of work the first week, and mine gave the most work that week. I was a little scared :lol:

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 8:08 pm

my first day of a brick and mortar college was pretty bad. Students had a habit of cornering people they new where new and playing with hand drums and screaming welcome newb or whatever . . they found me i didn't know about this and ended up crying in a fetal position. things degenerated from there. doubt your experience will be like mine tho.

JohnXIX
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Oct 2011, 9:13 am

It was quite bad and stressful. It's like high school multiplied by 2.5 when it comes to social things.