Anyone else going back to school for a different subject?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

dementagirl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jan 2012, 1:19 am

I went to school with the idea that I was going to create, write and preform as the first autism-spectrum muppet for Sesame Street. Since it is damn near impossible to get a job on SS, I've made the choice to go back to school. In the year since I graduated two things happened; my childhood obsession with art history came back into my life and I made the hard realization that I didn't want to work in TV anymore. Adding to this is my frustration that in order to do anything significant in TV now that you have to be involved in improv which I've never felt comfortable doing. Since I still love writing, I'm going back for a museum education degree so I could create fun programs for kids. I'm sort of worried about going back to school. College the first time around was rough because of my AS diagnosis, I went to a special needs school and hadn't ever really dealt with neurotypical people before which lead to some really f*****g awkward encounters with people. I'm also probably going to be the only person in my program without a history degree of any stripe. Has anyone done a 180 like this for school/future career and have dealt with the self-doubt/stress that comes with it?

Telekon
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2012, 6:28 pm

I'm going back to university this Spring if I can afford it. I was thinking of majoring in computer science. If you're going back to earn a second bachelor's degree, you have to write the university explaining why you're doing this. Some universities won't allow you to earn a second undergraduate degree.

jess26
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jul 2012, 10:52 pm

I am doing this now. Summer Session is just about to wrap up at my local community college. I started taking classes this past spring, so this summer is my second term. I was an English Literature major the first time around. Went to grad school for English, taught a freshman composition class, realized I did not want to do it anymore and dropped out after a semester.

A year later I started at community college for an associate's degree in graphic design. I haven't taken an art class since I was in the 7th grade. I'm definitely unsure about all of it, but I enjoy art and I really loved my art history class that I took last semester. I hope this interest sticks.

shortcircuit3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jul 2012, 2:40 pm

i'm the epitome of an academic 180. i spent a decade fostering a frenetic obsession with fine art, graphite and photorealism. at age eighteen, i started college as an art major. after taking some time away from school due to trauma and illness, i developed a passion for physics and numbers that transcends my theretofore unrivaled interest in art. today, i'm a physics major and math minor. i went from portraits and acrylic, to multivariable calculus and quantum mechanics. it hasn't been as unnerving as i might have expected it to be. i think having an unusual passion for whatever you're doing takes precedence over having requisite pedigrees, because you're motivated to learn at an accelerated rate. and for me, my social life is pretty void, so i have more time to devote to the material than the average pupil.

autismthinker21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 4:28 pm

since people are going back to school. it's more of like a job to get accomplished than an experience. it's crazy. if you have to go back to school again for another subject. it's pointless in my opinion. more money to waste on college. you would of known your career already without figuring it out again. but i guess it's just a way to find your true passion.