Autistic kid in one of my classes last semester

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MetalAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2012, 9:45 pm

So, for those of you don't know, I go to art school. I have EXTREMELY mild aspergers, and I don't have any problem talking to teachers, getting my work done, staying focussed in class (unless it's a lecture class), or socializing (in fact i'm the life of the party at my school). If anything, I come off as someone who has ADD more than someone with aspergers

Anyways, this brings me to my next point...last semester in my Illustration class, there was a guy who appeared like he was in his mid-20's. He would show up to class late everyday. Like an hour late.... He would then take out his sketchbook and art supplies, and before he could even start working on the assignment, he would get up and leave the class. Where he would go? Who knows. But he would come back periodically, draw for a little bit, and then leave again. This was a 6 hour studio class, and he would probably spend 2 hours in the class total..and we got two 15 minute breaks AND an hour and a half lunch. Sometimes he would get up during critiques and just wander around the classroom...sometimes he'd just look out the window...sometimes he'd rub his back against a wall...sometimes he'd go up to a paper towel dispenser and constantly pull out a bunch of paper towels for no reason whatsoever. He never actually finished an art project. Everything that he would put up for critique was either just a sketch or a color study.

I remember one class, I also forgot that a project was due. Me and him both completely forgot about the assignment (go figure...). So I spent the next 6 hours busting my ass. I only took 1 break instead of 2 and came back from lunch a half hour early. Of coarse, this kid did the same thing he did everyday. Wandered off for long amounts of time.. At the end of the day, I ended up with a DECENT colored pencil illustration on bristol. I would have gotten a C+ on it but since it was late i got a D+...oh well, my fault. I did my best....this kid ended up with a small sketch on a piece of sketchpad paper, and he didn't even bother to tear the frills on the edge of the paper off...

Towards the end of the semester, after the teacher had spoken to disabilities services, he had decided that if this kid hands in 1 completed assignment, then he can pass him but that was the only way.

Personally, I feel like he should have had to do all the assignments and that the teacher should have done something about him WAY earlier in the semester. Disabilities services could have given him the chance to have extended deadlines and extra help. If I was the teacher, I would have addressed the issue the minute I noticed he was leaving the class repeatedly for ridiculous amounts of time. Plus, it's art school. If you have autism/aspergers and you're going to art school, chances are its because you grew up with a love for drawing and creating. I remember a time when I'd get in trouble for drawing in class when I wasn't supposed to...now all I do in school is draw and paint. Therefore, I savor every minute where I'm in class and try my hardest to create damn good work! And any moment where I'm feeling stressed about an assignment, I just tell myself "hey at least its not math or history"

I'm just wondering if you guys feel the same way I do and feel that this kid should have had to do the same amount of work as the rest of the kids, or if you think the teacher was right in letting him pass in 1 finished assignment in order to pass the class.

atdevel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Aug 2012, 9:51 pm

Although I can't seem to form an opinion, I was exactly like that in an art class once! But I was 15, four years ago, I was way more restless than today. Maybe he's just restless. You just reminded me lol

MetalAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2012, 10:05 pm

i can be somewhat restless too but i feel like if you're paying for art school, then you shouldn't just blow off all your work. you're not only wasting money, but you're wasting your teachers time.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 12:19 am

The teacher should not have passed him. Instead he should have been treated as a non matriculating student--that is, one who takes the class for the experience, but won't qualify for the degree/grade. Many people who can't afford to pay for classes take classes anyway as a non matriculating student. Because they don't pay for the class they don't qualify for the degree, but they can at least get some benefit from taking the class. Also, people who may not be able to attend every class session, or the full class period, due to health or work, etc., can also attend as non matriculating students. This student should first have been approached by the teacher, who should have told him the class rules, and reminded him that to pass he had to complete the assignments.--Yes, I know--he should not have needed to be reminded of that. If this did not fix the problem, then the teacher should have told the student that he would be treated as a non matriculating student if he didn't complete the assignments, and would not be getting a grade. In the case of a student who actively interferes with the class or with other students, then such a person should be kicked out of the class, as they don't have the right to interfere with the class.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 10:46 am

MetalAspie wrote:
So, for those of you don't know, I go to art school. I have EXTREMELY mild aspergers, and I don't have any problem talking to teachers, getting my work done, staying focussed in class (unless it's a lecture class), or socializing (in fact i'm the life of the party at my school). If anything, I come off as someone who has ADD more than someone with aspergers

Anyways, this brings me to my next point...last semester in my Illustration class, there was a guy who appeared like he was in his mid-20's. He would show up to class late everyday. Like an hour late.... He would then take out his sketchbook and art supplies, and before he could even start working on the assignment, he would get up and leave the class. Where he would go? Who knows. But he would come back periodically, draw for a little bit, and then leave again. This was a 6 hour studio class, and he would probably spend 2 hours in the class total..and we got two 15 minute breaks AND an hour and a half lunch. Sometimes he would get up during critiques and just wander around the classroom...sometimes he'd just look out the window...sometimes he'd rub his back against a wall...sometimes he'd go up to a paper towel dispenser and constantly pull out a bunch of paper towels for no reason whatsoever. He never actually finished an art project. Everything that he would put up for critique was either just a sketch or a color study.

I remember one class, I also forgot that a project was due. Me and him both completely forgot about the assignment (go figure...). So I spent the next 6 hours busting my ass. I only took 1 break instead of 2 and came back from lunch a half hour early. Of coarse, this kid did the same thing he did everyday. Wandered off for long amounts of time.. At the end of the day, I ended up with a DECENT colored pencil illustration on bristol. I would have gotten a C+ on it but since it was late i got a D+...oh well, my fault. I did my best....this kid ended up with a small sketch on a piece of sketchpad paper, and he didn't even bother to tear the frills on the edge of the paper off...

Towards the end of the semester, after the teacher had spoken to disabilities services, he had decided that if this kid hands in 1 completed assignment, then he can pass him but that was the only way.

Personally, I feel like he should have had to do all the assignments and that the teacher should have done something about him WAY earlier in the semester. Disabilities services could have given him the chance to have extended deadlines and extra help. If I was the teacher, I would have addressed the issue the minute I noticed he was leaving the class repeatedly for ridiculous amounts of time. Plus, it's art school. If you have autism/aspergers and you're going to art school, chances are its because you grew up with a love for drawing and creating. I remember a time when I'd get in trouble for drawing in class when I wasn't supposed to...now all I do in school is draw and paint. Therefore, I savor every minute where I'm in class and try my hardest to create damn good work! And any moment where I'm feeling stressed about an assignment, I just tell myself "hey at least its not math or history"

I'm just wondering if you guys feel the same way I do and feel that this kid should have had to do the same amount of work as the rest of the kids, or if you think the teacher was right in letting him pass in 1 finished assignment in order to pass the class.

No advice, but....lucky bastard. :D

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 11:36 am

I believe you are correct in your opinion. Accommodations and disability services are designed to level the playing field, not give you an advantage. There is a huge difference between giving someone extra time and letting him pass just for doing something.

It hurts the caliber of the university, and isn't fair to everyone else.

MetalAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Aug 2012, 4:58 pm

muslimmetalhead wrote:
No advice, but....lucky bastard. :D

How old are you man, 15? Social fluency comes with time and experience. When I was 15, I was awkward as hell. Back then, people KNEW I had something. When you reach your 20's, you'll start to grow out of your awkwardness but experience has alot to do with it. Basically keep forcing yourself to be social, and pay attention to how your peers interact with each other. If you basically try to "copy" what to do, it'll eventually just start to come naturally but like I said...time and experience.

You're gonna grow up to be one cool dude. And I know this because you're a metalhead.

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 5:05 pm

Don't copy bullies, though; that just leads to trouble. :P

AQ: 33