Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

KJN
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Mar 2013, 10:32 am

Did your high school teachers prepare you enough for college? What was helpful?What was not helpful? What else could they have done? Looking for advice:)

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 10:53 am

Short answer: NO! They had all of these classes that they said were to prepare us for college, but they were all complete jokes. One of our big preparations was a 2-page report that we had 6 months to write...not exactly the hardest assignment in the world. Then again my high school was mostly catering to people who weren't bound for college...they tried endlessly to get me to become a truck driver. Luckily I didn't take their advice and became an engineer instead ;).

What they could have done better is actually make some of their classes as challenging as some of those in college! So that you're actually required to crack open a book, do some homework, etc. to pass it! Prior to college I pretty much never opened a single book or did a single homework assignment and made straight A's...in college you have to work your butt off for the same grades. I personally think that students should be required to take Calc 1 and maybe even 2 in high school, and those along with physics would be perfect opportunities to really crack down the whip!