Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 2:32 am

Bookgirl14 wrote:
Aspendos wrote:
I don't know where you live, but in some countries it's easy to study something different in graduate school, doesn't have to be teaching-related. What subjects would you be teaching? Maybe you could pursue one of those in graduate school and make a career of it (i.e. if you study maths you might get into the insurance or financial industries).

I've thought about studying something different in graduate school because it would be easy to go into a different field but I would have to survive teaching everyday next semester first and hope and pray that I would get good enough grades to graduate. I would be teaching reading, language arts, math, science, and social studies since I would be teaching elementary school.

Quote:
Almost the same thing I recently posted here, yet only one person answered. Here's how I figured it out: what have you enjoyed ever since you were younger? What do you not get bored of? What is something you're still passionate about, no matter what comes up? What is your biggest obsession? What made you slack off? If you can figure these things you, you'll be able to decide on something. If you still can't, go to an advisor and take a test for discover what you might be good at and enjoy.

The thought of going back into Social Work and writing another 16 page essay made me cringe. I don't know how I could constantly work with people in the field and not get depressed from the horrendous stories I'd be told. People can suffer some serious burnout from all that pressure to counsel people.

I'm been working with my advisor and looking into other careers. Teaching was an obsession for several years that I haven't thought about anything else for a long time. From talking it out with my advisor and friends, I've figured out that I'm passionate about working with kids but that's all I've gotten so far. I've been thinking about possibly going into Social Work but I'm not sure what that would entail.

Here's the thing with social work: it's very similar to psychology, except you get paid almost nothing for working your butt off. You learn a ton of techniques for helping people and getting to the root of their problems. It's not at all an easy career. There is always the possibility of burnout when you go into this career. I've noticed one thing that I have had issues with is listening to people talk about some serious stuff in their lives. You will hear a lot about rape, child molestation, abuse, drug use, etc. That goes for most lines of work with counseling people, inside or outside of schools. The highest degree you can get is a Master's degree; you cannot go beyond that for that specific degree, from what I was told in my classes. If you want to genuinely help people who do not have the means to afford a psychologist/psychiatrist, then you will love this job. I mean BEFORE you thought of working with kids. Before you were enrolled in college. What did you want to do when you were young? What have you always been obsessed with? You could work as a child and family social worker. You could also work as a counselor within a school. There are a lot of opportunities in these fields. I left because I got tired of the same redundancy. Long essay writing, days and days of working without sleep on things that I had no interest in, and a wage that wasn't worth the effort that I was putting into it. I made excellent grades in all of my classes, but it wasn't as enjoyable as I thought it would be. My initial plan was to work with people who have autism, but I didn't have a strong enough drive to want to do it anymore.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 5:45 am

Perhaps you could work for a while, and then go back to grad school once you've saved up a little money? Many grad school programs don't require you do have a bachelor's degree in the field, so it could be a good opportunity to switch. Although it would be useful to keep it to a similar field that can build on your teaching degree, rather than doing a complete 180.