Writing Research Paper On Aspergers Syndrome.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

GamerNerd07901
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Nov 2013, 9:40 pm

For my writing seminar course I have to write a research paper on a topic of my own choice. I decided to write it about AS, since I already know alot about given that I have it.

however, this led me to once again bump my head into my old nemesis, Topic Specificity. This a formal research paper, not an informative essay, so I need to write it around answering a question, not a generalized topic. But I have no idea. I know I want to write about the inherent strengths of the aspy mindset, like extreme attention to detail, pattern seeing, and unique insight. But I'm not really sure how to phrase it as a question I can write a paper about.

Any helpful ideas?

What is learning? Its paying attention. its opening yourself up to this great big ball of****that we call life! And whats the worst that could happen? You get bit in the ass! Well let me tell you, My ass looks like hamburger meat,But I can still sit down!

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 12:35 am

I think you've chosen an insightful subject. One I've not seen in print before, other than the passing "oh and also they do this" sort of thing, but without definition to their words.

Is it plausible to present a study rather than ask a question.

What percentage of Aspgergers people have this feature (<---I think this needs answering).
Are there differences in focus, duration, intensity, brain activity, accomplishment.
Do NT's also have this feature, and are they equvilant (<---I think this is an important one).

GamerNerd07901
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Nov 2013, 1:10 am

Those are all very significant and relevant subjects, but you are overestimating the scope of this paper.

This is a generalized, short (for a research paper anyway) freshman level paper. So while I agree with you that such a study would be pretty cool, it is way outside my ability to perform. I need a specific topic

What is learning? Its paying attention. its opening yourself up to this great big ball of****that we call life! And whats the worst that could happen? You get bit in the ass! Well let me tell you, My ass looks like hamburger meat,But I can still sit down!

GamerNerd07901
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Nov 2013, 10:14 am

Am I allowed to request that this topic be moved to General Autism Discussion?

It seems like the better option in terms of getting suggestions for my paper

heatherbk
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Nov 2013, 8:39 pm

Psycinfo is your best friend. There are tons of academic journal articles you can find there. With regards to Aspergers syndrome, you might want to use keywords like high functioning autism, autism spectrum disorder and aspergers. The newest edition of DSM5 have eliminated Aspergers and lumped it into autism spectrum disorder. Good luck on your paper.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 11:17 pm

Aptitude in a specific subject or specific skill such as math, computer science, etc? Cases of special interests leading to success?