Difficulties with spoken lectures

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

rugulach
Toucan
Toucan

07 Dec 2014, 7:16 pm

When I was in college, I was unable to keep up with the spoken lectures. As a result, I fell far behind. I am trying to find out more about what might have caused this. Is this the result of an auditory processing deficit? Have other ASDers here faced similar problems? Is this sort of auditory processing issue common for those on the spectrum?

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 12:44 pm

I always sucked at lecture classes... trying to comprehend everything that was being said... paying attention for that long... whatever it was, it just didn't work for me.

It got easier when I went back to college at a later age, and I could have a laptop with me. Instead of trying to process the meaning of everything I heard, I would type most of it, then read it later in the quiet of my house.
The activity of typing kept me from wandering too much mentally, and having the written words to learn from later was far more effective for me.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 2:20 pm

I do okay with lectures, but I take copious notes...

Like MissD, I think the act of taking notes helps keep me focused and gives me something to go over/study later.

Jezebel
Toucan
Toucan

12 Dec 2014, 8:32 pm

Sensory processing disorder seems to go along with ASD, so I wouldn't be surprised if you had an auditory sensory issue. As of now, I've only taken my college classes online (still a freshman though :P), but next semester I'm going to try some on campus classes as well. (I was also homeschooled/online schooled so my "lectures" have been pretty flexible. What helps me is being able to go back and listen to something as much as I need to.)

One thing for me is I don't think I'm good at listening to something (such as a lecture) for a very long time. Do you know if you would've had the ability to record lectures? Nowadays, that can be an accommodation.

Interestingly, I'm terrible with notes. I don't think I really know how to write them and when I write, I tend to obsess over how I'm actually writing. Therefore my "notes" tend to take the form of online flashcards (StudyBlue has been a lifesaver).

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2014, 2:57 am

I've always been bad at paying attention at lectures. Well, depends on the class and subject, actually. can't help but go doze off in my mind.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 8:39 am

Never thought something like this was related to my sensory issues. Anyway, I've always had trouble listening to what the teacher or professor was saying while taking notes. While writing notes I'd miss something they said or forget the rest of it when I got to a certain point. Since I started college in 2011 I've had the ability to record all of my lectures thanks to my accommodations through Disability Services and it had been a TREMENDOUS help. If I miss any notes, I just go back over the recording and fill in the blanks. :)

If you can, I highly recommend getting a voice recorder and the proper accommodations to be able to record your lectures.