For those who are on or were on IEP

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

caty
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Sep 2007, 1:42 pm

i'm under traumatic brain injury, it used to be mentally ret*d,and before that other health impaired because i had seizures, but now it's tbi, although i don't see myself as any of those i see my self as autistic

TOCAD_KID
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Oct 2007, 6:37 am

I don't know what I was under, but they only had me there for math and english. I miss those days, I got more work done and I had friends, small 2-5 people group with a helper is a lot better than 15-25 and a teacher or what ever in a full class :? anyone know where in a high school i'd go to ask for one again? Guidance maybe? I don't know where the resource room in this school is.

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 4:05 pm

well alot of you seem to have a label, my iep was from 1994 which at that time aspergers wasnt really known that good. i had a complete different label for my iep report. you may find it interesting though. and what i IEP and phsyco educational report may look like, as you can see from the report even with someone who may have had a hard time as a child, still did well in school and graduated from high school with good grades p=. so dont ever give up on your child. if i can do it, you all can do it. anyways thought it may help understand what autism/aspergers, adhd is all about in school.

health: Rhinitisrhinitis: 50 million people have it is estimated., sensorineural hearing lossSensorineural hearing loss, vision screening is within normal.

motor perceptual:
sensory-motor testing from beery developmental test of visual motor integration (1994) indicates delay in visual-motor development is 6 yrs.10 months.. vmi percentile is 3rd vmi scaled score is 1., have difficulty copying the correct number of dots, forming angles, integrating two designs and spatial awareness. no rotational errors were present, the bender gestalt visual motor test also indicates a delay with a visual motor test at a 7 and a half range.

cognitive: intellectual functioning is within low average range with a difference between verbal abilities and visual spatial abilities ( borderline to deficient)

wisc III 1994.
wechsler intelligence scale
verbal tests
information: 9
similarities: 6
arithmetic: 10
vocabulary: 5
comprehension: 6
digit span: 10

performance tests:
picture completion: 3
coding: 3
picture arrangement: 7
block design: 6
object assembly: 4
symbol search: 4

iq standard score.
verbal 84- percentile 14.
performance: 68-percentile 2
full scale 74: percentile 4.

cognitive: (continued)
verbal comprehension: 81 percentile: 10
percepual organization: 71, percentile: 3
freedom from distractiblity: 101 percentile 53.
processing speed: 67: percentile: 1

relative sub test strengths

average scores are measured in math reasoning, auditory concentration, including short auditory memory. and long term memory for general info.

relative weaknesses

below average scores in short term memory and visual awareness of details. 1st percentile.
visual matching/discrimination and visual perception of concrete forms as in puzzles 2nd percentile. expressive and amazing vocabulary at 5th percentile. visual perception of abstract forms, verbal abstract reasoning analogies and logical verbal reasoning, receptive language at the 9th percentile.
measures significant deficits in visual perceptual organization and visual processing speed indicating difficulties in organizing and remembering visual information.

academic:

resuts of achievement measures indicating low average math skills, where reading and language skills are delayed.

has great strengths in applied math/word problems (at grade level) and word indentification/decoding skills beginning 6th grade level. weaknesses include writing samples mid 3rd grade level, reading comprehension 4th grade level, and spelling dictation: mid-5th grade level.

an iep meeting on 5/28/87 indicated participating in sdc program with a LH/Ld handicapping condition.

communication
assessment of communication development by speech therapist earlier this year articulation distortions of r, and ing in isolation and words, displays inconsistant substition of s. he continues to measure severe delay in receptive and expressive semantic skills below 1 1/2 standard deviations. continues to speech and language skills since 10/87, special class program ch/sdl 6/10/86 at age 6-2.

social/emotional
social emotional development is at grade level appropriate. peer group is 2-3 yrs younger this his chronological age, he appears emotionally secure.

psychoeducational assessment- march 14, 2000 (high school level now)

weschler adult intellgence scale-III

verbal IQ 85
performance IQ: 77
fullscale IQ; 79

verbal tests
vocabulary 10
similarities: 8
arithmetic 9
digit span: 8
information: 5
comprehension: 5

performance tests
picture completion 5
digital symbol coding-6
block design 9
matrix reasoning 7
picture arrangement 5
symbol search 6

the test results appear to be valid, rappot was easily established and maintained, his efforts was satisfactory, the standardized test is valid to use with students background.

WISC-R- not sure what the no blanks mean.. maybe someone else knows?
verbal scale
1-84:
5-86: 8%
5-94: 84
3-98:
performance iq
1-84: 16 percent
5-86:
5-94: 68
3-98: 74

his test scores indicate strengths in vocabulary and abstract pattern reproduction. his speed of processing is consistant with his overall ability, and fall in the borderline range.

his perceptual testing indicates delays in both visual and auditory memory skills, he seemed to become overwhelmed with visual memory tasks and has difficulty with frustration tolerance.

description of specific disability
weaknesses in visual and auditory memory
below grade level in all academic areas

the conditions for which the student originally qualified for special education services, have not be remediated to the point where he can adequately function in regular education without special education support.

summary and recommendations
a senior in high school, a good standing, he reports no injurys or illness that may have effected his learning, he passed his vision screening, but has a documented hearing loss in left ear, his current ability testing reveals very consistant scores with his previous ability tests, his scores fall in the borderline to low range, his verbal skills are slightly stronger this his non verbal skills. since he does have a documented hearing loss his verbal skils may not be accurate measure of his ability. his overall scores are not consistant with his success in school setting, he has been very successful in his academic classes.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2007, 1:37 pm

WISC III (taken at age 6 1/2)
Similarities 14
Arithmetic 18
Vocabulary 18
Coding 14
Block design 19
Object assembly 17
Symbol search 12

Average IQ = 160

Apparently I did get rather hyper at times during this test.

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2007, 7:44 pm

They had me as Gifted and Nld. The dreaded Gifted/Learning disabled diagnosis. Theere was some other term they used before I was diagnosed with AS, I know processing deficit was one of them, but there was some other abbreviation that I can't remember.

Stockton
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Oct 2007, 8:22 pm

The last one I had said "severe learning disabilities." They knew I was AS, but couldn't say so because there was no official dx.

vette
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Oct 2007, 4:48 pm

You know, I'm SO jealous of you folk these days...

I'm 41 and "back then" I was just stuck in some of the "remedial classes" and considered ret*d...

Then I got in trouble in math class for contradicting the teacher as he did a problem that amounted to a negative number, but he put the answer as zero! I contradicted him and said it was minus whatever it was & he said "we don't use minus numbers in THIS class"! !! :roll:

I have gone on to do various studies since leaving school with NO qualifications and have allsorts of things, up to and including degree... Some kinda ret*d, eh?!?! :twisted:

Be well

'Vette

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 9:29 pm

vette, dont worry about it to much, i'm 27, and i'm in the same position as you too. i'm gotten alot of qualifications and certifications and it didnt lead anywhere....

Soon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2008, 10:38 pm

Vette they did that to me in a way they just put me in a room. I had to teach my self how to read and do math, and every thing elts i know. I was just sweept under the rug and forgotten. I was labled gifited and emotional handycaped EH for short, Autistic. but the school did not include it. All the need was to use the EH to shove me in a cornor and not taken seriously. I have true hate for the school!

windscar15
Toucan
Toucan

18 Feb 2008, 4:41 am

Don't know I can't remember mine, but it said that I'm verbally smarter than 95% of the country. My friend is 96% I think.

OneLastBreath
Toucan
Toucan

18 Feb 2008, 4:09 pm

I had, "Emotional Disturbance"
Also, "Learning Disability"

A350XWB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2008, 11:46 am

Autistic too (I was placed among classes of NT students)...