Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Torec
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Aug 2008, 1:30 am

Hi, I'm new here and I have a question for you. I have been going to University for a least 1 semester and 3 weeks now. I have many friends, however I am hoping on expanding the circle. The University has a large composition of asian students, mostly japanese and chinese whom I would like to talk to, however there is a langauge barrier, they do have the ability to speak english but usually stay in close packs of people who generally speak their langauge. Besides learning their langauges which I'm currently set on doing for more reasons than just this, how should I approach. Trying to get a one on one is best but are there better ways to get to know this people. Any suggestions?

sort30030
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2008, 2:23 am

Where is this university?

If it's in an english speaking country, then I would suspect that those chinese and japanese students are not native to that place. Don't be shy and just try approaching them whether they are in groups or alone. I don't think they will try to exclude you. You'll eventually get to know them.

Bunni
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2008, 12:01 pm

Just a thought but since you want to learn their language for other reasons, that might be a way to get to know them too. What if you were to just strike up a conversation with one of them and tell them you are interested in learning their language, and that you plan on taking a class..but it would be cool if you could learn a bit from them?

That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger, and really pisses me off.