Post Pandemic Prospects for Autistic Educational Achievement

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2024, 12:28 pm

This may be more of a philosophical question, but it is directly about young people and college so I'm putting it here.

I sometimes like to read a forum on another site that may start with a consonant, then have a forewardslash, and then have the word "teachers" after it...I'm not going to say more than that because I'm not trying to give out advertisements to other sites from Alex's site.

There is a lot of talk on there about how there is no more middle ground. There are only high achievers and people who literally cannot read or write anymore. I have been thinking about people with executive functioning problems, who may have very high IQs and capabilities, but when put in a poor environment, may appear to be low achievers. What is happening to these people when transitioning out of high school and into college?

Could a world like this give an advantage to autistic people? Where appearing "weird" or "anxious" no longer matters to other people? Or would it hold a young person back more in an otherwise difficult situation? Is the educational drag affecting everyone, or just the more social people? There have been anecdotal articles here and there about autism DURING the pandemic. But I'm wondering what will happen after, with this specific generation.

If anyone has thoughts or personal experience, I would love to hear more.