Extreme Obsession with University

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 6:42 pm

Just some quick information based on what you said, then I'll address the obession part.

ebec11 wrote:
I know I can get into the school I want to get into (it's the "lower" university, but it suits my spec. ed needs better and I like the courses better), it's a matter of choosing the major.

Oftentimes, it's best to have decided what you want to major in before you pick the school you intend to go to. There are several reasons for that; some schools don't offer certain majors, some have better programs than others, and some offer more resources and experiences than others.

ebec11 wrote:
Yeah, but it's only grade 10. They only count grade 12 courses.

Transcripts of all the years are sent. They might only count the last year of grades, but they'll see all of them; it's still a consideration.

Don't skimp on the courses. I know some of them suck - personally, I don't like math at all - but if you just do the minimum that your high school requires to graduate, you're opening yourself up to the possibility that a college won't accept you because you have less than what they require. Many colleges and universities require at least three years of science, even if you don't plan on majoring in it.

As for the obsession - I was like that when I was in sophomore year. I decided what I wanted to major in, where I wanted to go, what I would take, ect, ect. And you know what? None of it is what I'm actually planning on now. The schools are completely different, the major is related but not the same, and I don't know for sure how it will go. As time went by, my interest in it lessened; perhaps yours will too.

Three years!

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 9:42 pm

886 wrote:
Then get all the science credits out of the way grades 9-11 and don't take it your senior year.

It's what I did. :?
I only have to take it for two years! I can take co-op instead for the third one!

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 9:46 pm

RainSong wrote:
Just some quick information based on what you said, then I'll address the obession part.

ebec11 wrote:
I know I can get into the school I want to get into (it's the "lower" university, but it suits my spec. ed needs better and I like the courses better), it's a matter of choosing the major.

Oftentimes, it's best to have decided what you want to major in before you pick the school you intend to go to. There are several reasons for that; some schools don't offer certain majors, some have better programs than others, and some offer more resources and experiences than others.

ebec11 wrote:
Yeah, but it's only grade 10. They only count grade 12 courses.

Transcripts of all the years are sent. They might only count the last year of grades, but they'll see all of them; it's still a consideration.

Don't skimp on the courses. I know some of them suck - personally, I don't like math at all - but if you just do the minimum that your high school requires to graduate, you're opening yourself up to the possibility that a college won't accept you because you have less than what they require. Many colleges and universities require at least three years of science, even if you don't plan on majoring in it.

As for the obsession - I was like that when I was in sophomore year. I decided what I wanted to major in, where I wanted to go, what I would take, ect, ect. And you know what? None of it is what I'm actually planning on now. The schools are completely different, the major is related but not the same, and I don't know for sure how it will go. As time went by, my interest in it lessened; perhaps yours will too.
I'm NOT skimping!! !! ! ::(:(:(:(:(
I'm trying my heart out, but I can't get science!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !
I'm not barely passing on PURPOSE!

I will never be a scienist though, and I will be in the creative field, no matter what.

I would never GO to my other university though, as it doesn't have the stuff I need spec ed wise, language wise, and desire wise

I won't go to another city, so it narrows it down to that one.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 1:33 pm

ebec11 wrote:
I'm trying my heart out, but I can't get science!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !

I didn't mean skimping as in you weren't tying; I wouldn't know about that. What I meant is that it's not all that wise to only take the minimum number of years required for subjects, because oftentimes, universities require more credits to get into than high schools require to graduate.

Three years!

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 1:40 pm

nory wrote:
From the lovely Judith Martin, otherwise known as Miss Manners...

Excellent list. I wish I had that when I went to college :D

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 3:30 pm

RainSong wrote:
ebec11 wrote:

I didn't mean skimping as in you weren't tying; I wouldn't know about that. What I meant is that it's not all that wise to only take the minimum number of years required for subjects, because oftentimes, universities require more credits to get into than high schools require to graduate.
Sorry, it just gets me riled up.
I have an extra year, so I can fit in grade 11 science if I have to
I'm going into English though...it just doesn't seem to be important...

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 9:35 pm

ebec11 wrote:

This is all I'm trying to say. Lots of colleges have a certain number of courses that are required, regardless of what you plan to pursue. I'm excellent at creative writing; that doesn't mean I can skip math though (I would love to, trust me), even if I plan on pursuing a degree in writing.

Here's an example. The circles that are outlined with dashed lines are required. The circles that are outlined with solid lines are required.
Requirments to be Admitted

This is the same thing, with red dots to show what I've taken. If I didn't meet what was required, I couldn't get in. Actually, my math situation is a bit shaky because at the moment I only have 3 1/2 years; I can easily make the extra half year up though with an online course.
Completed courses

If, however, I wanted to go OSU (which I truly, really would hate to do), I wouldn't need as many sciences. In this college, only two are required, although three is recommended.
Required Courses for OSU

You also have open admission schools, like Ohio University. There aren't requirements there.
Open Admissions OU

The site I linked to is really helpful, especially to know what's required and how you match up to that.

Three years!

ButchCoolidge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Apr 2008, 12:03 pm

ebec11 wrote:
I can't stop!
Everyday I'm obsessing about what university I'm going to, what program I'm going to, the residencies, the food plans, the reputation, the professers, the size of the schools, the size of the program, etc. It's interfering with my ability to concentrate (along with other anxieties), and I don't know if I'll even make it to University if this keeps up. I'll already had a number of meltdowns at school and I just am so worried!
Maybe this is in the wrong section, but I need some help as to what to do. I can't continue with this constant rattling of thoughts and worries!

I was exactly the same way. All I cared about was building the perfect college application and getting into a top school, and of course that included plenty of obsession about which ones had the most to offer.

Having gone through the exact same trip, I can say with confidence that your energies are being misplaced. What I didn't understand before I came to college was that I really had no idea what I wanted in a college environment. For instance, I all but completely neglected the social component of college in deciding where I wanted to go, and I had no idea how city life (I ended up in NYC) would affect me. I also thought I knew what I wanted to study, but in reality I had no idea. So, my best advice is to chill, because you're going to spend hours and hours obsessing over it only to arrive at campus freshman year to realize that (if you are like me) you had no idea what you really wanted in the first place or what the college you chose would actually be like. Just focus on being happy and on finding your place in the realm of academia and on getting the most out of your education wherever you go. The rest will work itself out.

Stimshieme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2008, 2:28 pm

oh wow! I have the exact same problem! I can't decide to. In fact I'm so afraid of rejection I don't what I'll do. Please help her you'll be helping more than one person here!

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 8:44 pm

ebec11 wrote:
I can't stop!
Everyday I'm obsessing about what university I'm going to, what program I'm going to, the residencies, the food plans, the reputation, the professers, the size of the schools, the size of the program, etc. It's interfering with my ability to concentrate (along with other anxieties), and I don't know if I'll even make it to University if this keeps up. I'll already had a number of meltdowns at school and I just am so worried!
Maybe this is in the wrong section, but I need some help as to what to do. I can't continue with this constant rattling of thoughts and worries!

If you go to community college it can help you figure out where you want to go later on. That is what I am doing. :)

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 10:09 pm

RainSong wrote:
ebec11 wrote:

This is all I'm trying to say. Lots of colleges have a certain number of courses that are required, regardless of what you plan to pursue. I'm excellent at creative writing; that doesn't mean I can skip math though (I would love to, trust me), even if I plan on pursuing a degree in writing.

Here's an example. The circles that are outlined with dashed lines are required. The circles that are outlined with solid lines are required.
Requirments to be Admitted

This is the same thing, with red dots to show what I've taken. If I didn't meet what was required, I couldn't get in. Actually, my math situation is a bit shaky because at the moment I only have 3 1/2 years; I can easily make the extra half year up though with an online course.
Completed courses

If, however, I wanted to go OSU (which I truly, really would hate to do), I wouldn't need as many sciences. In this college, only two are required, although three is recommended.
Required Courses for OSU

You also have open admission schools, like Ohio University. There aren't requirements there.
Open Admissions OU

The site I linked to is really helpful, especially to know what's required and how you match up to that.
My requirements are only that I have to have a 70-80% (or more) in 6 U or M course :/ It doesn't say I have to take another science...

tksteph
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Apr 2008, 4:49 pm

matsuiny2004 wrote:
ebec11 wrote:
I can't stop!

If you go to community college it can help you figure out where you want to go later on. That is what I am doing. :)

same here, I've realized that my chances of starting out in the school I want to graduate from are too low, but I got a list of all the classes needed for the major i want and I found a list showing which classes at my local community college that give full transfer credit. Even though it's a bit complicated I've got the whole schedule planned out and I feel alot better off (and way less stressed) now that I know that I can graduate from the college of my choice on the same schedule as everyone else and without having to move away to a dorm or deal with the horrendous application process (at least initially). It could be something to look into if you really don't think your grades are good enough, otherwise just try to get through highschool and apply to where you really want to go, but know that even if you don't initially get in you can still attend there.