Help. I need some advice about college

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

mercurialasakaa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Aug 2008, 5:48 am

Hi. I'm hoping someone has some advice. I was only formally diagonesed with Asperger's 6 months ago, even though I have struggled all my life with the symptoms. One of my main problems was school. I had absolutely no friend, was misunderstood by the teachers, and even though I got shockingly good grades, I hated doing the work as I felt it was completely pointless. Point is that I basically detest school. I wanted to keep my parents happy so I applied to college for Musical Theatre (which is my chosen profession which I of course adore). I got in to the schools I applied, and was even able to live at home. But when it was time to go, I had a major panic attack and took a year off. My orientation was yesterday, and the same thing happened. Not because I was scared or worried but I realized that this is not the place for me, neither is it the way I wish to be taught. I do not want to stay in one area just learning and not applying what I learn. A liberal arts education does not agree with me. However, I am stuck. I did not apply anywhere else this year, not many conservatories will take a transfer in the middle of the year, and I don't want to waste my time at home. Please someone advise me on what to do. I dont think I can cope with the coursework and the overall environment of college!

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 6:14 am

mercurialasakaa wrote:
I dont think I can cope with the coursework and the overall environment of college!

just don't over-analyze it. if you don't want to waste your time, the best would be to go along with it. why do you think so much about it? then you come into these conclusions that complicate it all. you are supposed to learn first and then, once your studies are completed, to apply what you have learned, or do it in your free time. and most of all, college is great, the best time of your life, you'll see.

kraken
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Aug 2008, 10:22 pm

It seems like you have a couple of options.

1. You can quit. You can then focus your energy on applying for another school more appropriate to your interests and needs. This would allow you to find a job and earn money in the interim, especially if you are living at home.

2. You can complete the school year and use your record at your current school to transfer to one that is more appropriate to your interest and needs. It will be harder to earn money in a job, but you will have (presumably) a solid record to recommend you to your transfer school, without a record of having previously dropped out of college.

3. You can stick it out and earn a degree at your current school.

4. You can quit college and decide to do something else with your life.

It sounds like you want an education, so I'd recommend looking into option 2. Another advantage to this possibility is that your school will likely offer the services of an academic advisor who can help you with the transfer process.

mercurialasakaa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Aug 2008, 9:29 pm

Yeah. I am hoping that I am able to stand at least a semester and that the school next door to my house will take me (I was accepted there as well). However, the minute I think about this other school I start to cry and have panic attacks. I just really hate it. I'm going to attempt it for a week and PRAY this other school comes through. Or I'll have to get a job until I can start next esemester.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 5:23 pm

You can do one of these things.

Take a Gap Year.
This allows you to take one year {or 1 1/2 years} off
and allows you to figure what you want to do with yourself.

Start over and go to community college.

Drop-out and find a job.

Or just simply stick with your current circumstances.

You really want an education so try talking to an adviser first.