Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 5:56 am

so I just want to vent a little frustration about the arbitrary reasons that people are held back (besides academic). I had to repeat the fourth grade because the school and my mom thought I lacked social development (I didn't hang out with my peers). Of course they didn't tell me this, so I presumed it was because I was stupid and did no discernible work for a long time (until high school). Then in middle school my math teacher told my mom that I should be in the gifted program. Which at the school I attended meant you do extra work and you get beat up. Gifted = Bullseye. So I refused. I did however beg my mom to let me homeschool myself. Which she refused on the grounds that it would once again hurt my social development by allowing me to progress beyond my peers. then I petitioned the board of directors to allow me to graduate a year early. Apparently it is only allowable to graduate a semester early.

So less than a year after I left high school I couldn't even remember who I attended with, by name or picture. So much for social development. And I spent high school sleeping in class and playing Solitaire.

I wish I could have gone to college at 13/14 instead. Or I wish they would have realized that I might have AS and holding me back for social development was silly.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 6:22 am

It happens at work too, I was never permanently promoted (job security), only allowed to 'act' at higher positions.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 7:53 am

Postperson wrote:
It happens at work too, I was never permanently promoted (job security), only allowed to 'act' at higher positions.

yeah I am expecting that too. which is why I might switch to teaching college so I can alternate research and teaching.

Depends on if my super brilliant genius idea to restructure the US grade school system ever works out. I have to work out some logistics (like funding, etc.). If that works out then I am not sure what I would do.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 8:17 am

I had a similar experience with that, the school system wanted to advance me forward as fast as possible, but my mom refused to let them do that for the same reasons of social skills. I could have had a college degree before my driver's license, but I have to admit that I'm glad I stayed where I was and forced to develop rudimentary social skills. Though it would have been nice to skip over middle school entirely.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 8:35 am

DNForrest wrote:
I had a similar experience with that, the school system wanted to advance me forward as fast as possible, but my mom refused to let them do that for the same reasons of social skills. I could have had a college degree before my driver's license, but I have to admit that I'm glad I stayed where I was and forced to develop rudimentary social skills. Though it would have been nice to skip over middle school entirely.

I skipped the entire 4th grade by just not showing up. then I started smoking, drinking, stealing anything I could touch, looking at pron, and I fell in with a gang (though I didn't join).

all before I left elementary school.

well the gang thing was 5th-7th grade.

so not sure how that developed social skills

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 12:12 pm

Want to restructure the school system, huh? I suggest you read the works of John Holt and John Taylor Gatto before you try that one. I do not want to discourage you, simply make sure that you are under no illusions.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 1:09 am

demeus wrote:
Want to restructure the school system, huh? I suggest you read the works of John Holt and John Taylor Gatto before you try that one. I do not want to discourage you, simply make sure that you are under no illusions.
it was just an idea for a study for a doctoral thesis I had bouncing around that a few people heard about and really liked.

It could be interesting as a potential research topic.

LolaGranola
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2008, 9:26 pm

I missed school to avoid bullying.
Missed too much, grades went down.
If I were just left alone, I wouldn't have stayed back.

Dee_
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Dec 2008, 12:10 am

Shiggily
"yeah I am expecting that too. which is why I might switch to teaching college so I can alternate research and teaching. "

"Depends on if my super brilliant genius idea to restructure the US grade school system ever works out. I have to work out some logistics (like funding, etc.). If that works out then I am not sure what I would do."

You have caught my interest!

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 12:22 am

Dee_ wrote:
Shiggily
"yeah I am expecting that too. which is why I might switch to teaching college so I can alternate research and teaching. "

"Depends on if my super brilliant genius idea to restructure the US grade school system ever works out. I have to work out some logistics (like funding, etc.). If that works out then I am not sure what I would do."

You have caught my interest!

my husband said out of all my crazy ideas it is the one that is the most impressive.

hmmph... I thought all my ideas were impressive (j/k)

anyway if I did this it would be for a dissertation project.

orngjce223
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Dec 2008, 1:54 pm

The gifties were saying the same thing, actually.

A350XWB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2008, 11:12 pm

orngjce223 wrote:
The gifties were saying the same thing, actually.

I know that it ain't easy to be a gifted person, no matter how gifted one is. :D

Some people envy the prodigies, while others among prodigies say their skill is a curse instead.

normally_impaired
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2008, 11:35 pm

My problem is that I've always been bad with math unless I'm using it to make a task easier. Because of this, math is extremely hard for me in lessons, and thus held me back. When it comes to physical science, I'm right on top of it, but because my math skills are so low, I never got to take physics. In fact, because of my extremely low math skills and my dysgraphia, I wasn't even allowed to go to a regular highschool, but had to go to a SPED school 4 towns away instead. The SPED school was on the grounds of a regular high school, but all my classes were in one room with 14 other students.

It's not that I was an outcast in school, I got along with the other SPED kids, but when everybody else found out that I was in the "ret*d department", any possibility of a friendship was gone. It's not that I personally wasn't socially acceptable, it's that I never really got the chance to have any real social interaction since the only times I was at that school were spent with the rest of the SPED class. I lived 4 towns away, so it wasn't like I could meet up with anyone after school.

Oddly enough I don't seem to see that many cases like mine, where rather than I having anti-social behavior, instead I was involuntarily put in a situation where I couldn't have social interaction with normal people my age even if I tried.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2008, 11:54 pm

normally_impaired wrote:
Oddly enough I don't seem to see that many cases like mine, where rather than I having anti-social behavior, instead I was involuntarily put in a situation where I couldn't have social interaction with normal people my age even if I tried.

I think the problem with gifted students is that no one knows what to do with them. Place them with intellectual peers or with age peers. So they are held back to be with age peers.