College Applications and Aspergers

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

raggle-taggle-gypsy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jan 2009, 7:53 pm

I'm in the process of writing up my application for my postgrad in History and I'm torn between whether or not to include the fact that I have Aspergers. I still haven't been diagnosed but I'm seeing a psychiatrist on the 12th and things should be clearer then.

My academic record is good, but it's not as good as it could have been. It doesn't show the potential I actually have. After reading about AS, I have a better understanding of where I went wrong and how I can perform better when I go back to University. I don't want any special help when I go there (unless they'd like to pay my rent with some disability grants ;) But I think that AS is a huge part of my personality and it would go some way towards explaining why I would be a better student than I have been.

Things like studying in a noisy environment, timed exams, my diet and general health, depression are all easier to understan when I think of them in the context of AS. I would be very happy to discover I have it becasue it helps explain where I've gone wrong and gives me hope that I can pursue my dreams if I apply myself properly.

Do you think I should include a letter from a psychiatrist with my application?

in the arms of me raggle taggle gypsy-o

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 9:49 pm

^I never did when I applied to Mason and I was accepted with no problems because my high school's GPA was good along with other things like NJROTC.

raggle-taggle-gypsy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jan 2009, 10:09 pm

I don't know that's this NJROTC you speak of. My GPA isn't fantastic though. It's measured differently over here in Europe, I was 2.5% away from a first class honours. I'm not sure how competitive the course i want to do is, and my written work should be convincing enough but I'd like to be going in with everything I have

I graduated a year ago, and when I go back to do my post grad, I'll be two years out of college. In that time, I've learned a lot about myself and the way I study. I'm just worried that this will sound like self pity to the application reviewers. The reasons I didn't do as well as I should have done are simple. I made bad choices. I was smoking and drinking a lot. I had just come out of a period of social hibernation and that went hand in hand with alcohol and drug abuse. That affected my concentration along with the fact that I couldn't get my hands on any Ritalin. I had previously used it unprescribed and found it to be very useful. I get sensory overload very easily, but that's not something I understood when I was studying. I just thought i was stressed

Now that I know* i have AS, I understand how my brain works. It makes sense now, I know what I want to do and have come to a realistic evaluation of how much I can accomplish. I just wonder if those reviewing my application could be made to understand the same...

*Diagnosis pending

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 10:20 pm

^NJROTC Stands for Naval Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps. Its an American thing in high schools along with our Army, Marine Corps and Air Force basically. Though they are some in other countries due to U.S. Military Bases are there.

Well I don't recalled mentioning AS in my essay to Mason, Madison and Mary Washington but I never sent any of my documentation because that is not paper work for them to use to review. That paper work actually goes to Office of Disability Services who are not involved in the application process at all in the States. Also it could make those reviewers form an opinion that might be harmful to your chances. Its best to mentioned it in the essay you have write since it gives them a different view. Also not mentioning it may work as well but mentioning may increase chances for you.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 10:25 pm

raggle-taggle-gypsy wrote:
I'm in the process of writing up my application for my postgrad in History and I'm torn between whether or not to include the fact that I have Aspergers. I still haven't been diagnosed but I'm seeing a psychiatrist on the 12th and things should be clearer then.

My academic record is good, but it's not as good as it could have been. It doesn't show the potential I actually have. After reading about AS, I have a better understanding of where I went wrong and how I can perform better when I go back to University. I don't want any special help when I go there (unless they'd like to pay my rent with some disability grants ;) But I think that AS is a huge part of my personality and it would go some way towards explaining why I would be a better student than I have been.

Things like studying in a noisy environment, timed exams, my diet and general health, depression are all easier to understan when I think of them in the context of AS. I would be very happy to discover I have it becasue it helps explain where I've gone wrong and gives me hope that I can pursue my dreams if I apply myself properly.

Do you think I should include a letter from a psychiatrist with my application?

Just a thought here - but you can tell them you have AS when you get to university, rather than feel it has to go on your application. However I really doubt it will hurt your application, I only got one rejection out 6 with in on my own. Personally I suspect it helped rather than hindered it.

raggle-taggle-gypsy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jan 2009, 10:30 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
Its best to mentioned it in the essay you have write since it gives them a different view. Also not mentioning it may work as well but mentioning may increase chances for you.

This is what I'm thinking about. Do people really talk about personal development in those application letters. I'm a complete bastard cynic, I see the alterior motive in everything and project that quality upon others. Saying you have AS in an application letterr could havee one of three effects

1. They see my point of view and look upon my application favourably
2. They're of the opinion that diagnoses of 'syndromes' and creation of new drugs to cure them shoot upwards in a never ending spiral of causality - it's a school of humanities, I've been told that's how they think
3. They think "No place here for the ret*d"

ARRGHE. Why is it so hard to make decisions like this? I calculate the probability of any of the outcomes happening. :x

raggle-taggle-gypsy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jan 2009, 10:32 pm

Kangoogle wrote:
Just a thought here - but you can tell them you have AS when you get to university, rather than feel it has to go on your application. However I really doubt it will hurt your application, I only got one rejection out 6 with in on my own. Personally I suspect it helped rather than hindered it.

This is what bothers me. Will it help my application? I don't think I'll need any help when I get to college - though extra time on tests and a free laptop wouldn't be any harm. :lol:
All I'm worried about for now is being accepted, and I want to figure out whether putting AS into my application will increase my chances.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 10:35 pm

Kangoogle wrote:

This is what bothers me. Will it help my application? I don't think I'll need any help when I get to college - though extra time on tests and a free laptop wouldn't be any harm. :lol:
All I'm worried about for now is being accepted, and I want to figure out whether putting AS into my application will increase my chances.

I think it will probably be a marginal help to your application - though I think its better your referee mentions it rather than you put it in your personal statement (assuming the system is vaguely similar to the UK). Which country are you applying to university in?

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 10:39 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
Its best to mentioned it in the essay you have write since it gives them a different view. Also not mentioning it may work as well but mentioning may increase chances for you.

This is what I'm thinking about. Do people really talk about personal development in those application letters. I'm a complete bastard cynic, I see the alterior motive in everything and project that quality upon others. Saying you have AS in an application letterr could havee one of three effects

Yes - though there are ways to easily cheat this. Just embellish massively - for example "I play chess once in a blue moon" becomes "I play competitive chess"
Quote:
1. They see my point of view and look upon my application favourably
2. They're of the opinion that diagnoses of 'syndromes' and creation of new drugs to cure them shoot upwards in a never ending spiral of causality - it's a school of humanities, I've been told that's how they think
3. They think "No place here for the ret*d"

ARRGHE. Why is it so hard to make decisions like this? I calculate the probability of any of the outcomes happening. :x

2. They nearly always don't know what it is - so just treat you as another applicant. They have diversity quotas in most places anyway.
3. Then you don't want to go there and rejection is a blessing in disguise.

raggle-taggle-gypsy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jan 2009, 10:48 pm

That's what I hate about application letter though. Do people actually buy any of the s**t that isn't substantiated? I can put proof to a lot of my achievements, but my motivations and desires sound really hollow when I read them in a text.

Nobody's gonna write "I want to be a History professor because my lifelong dream of leading my people into a bloody and glorious war isn't in synch with the times. I think being a History prof would be realistic second best. It would give me the opportunity to sit around and read books all day. People will listen to my opinions even if they're elitist abstract lefty BS. Plus I've always wanted to indulge in my fantasy of having sex with a female student and I can wear what I want to work. This is why I want to be History Prof."

I think that would be a lot more honest than BS American motivational hype talk. I'm sorry to pin it all on the Americans, I'm not just feeling very eloquent at 4am this morning.

Last edited by raggle-taggle-gypsy on 04 Jan 2009, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raggle-taggle-gypsy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jan 2009, 10:51 pm

Kangoogle wrote:
Which country are you applying to university in?

St. Andrews in Scotland

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2009, 11:01 pm

That's what I hate about application letter though. Do people actually buy any of the sh** that isn't substantiated? I can put proof to a lot of my achievements, but my motivations and desires sound really hollow when I read them in a text.

As long as your referee backs you up then yes.
Quote:
Nobody's gonna write "I want to be a History professor because my lifelong dream of leading my people into a bloody and glorious war isn't in synch with the times. I think being a History prof would be realistic second best. It would give me the opportunity to sit around and read books all day. People will listen to my opinions even if they're elitist abstract lefty BS. Plus I've always wanted to indulge in my fantasy of having sex with a female student and I can wear what I want to work. This is why I want to be History Prof."

Here are some examples of personal statements - might be worth you taking a look at them (bear in mind some admissions tutors have looked at that page too):
http://www.studential.com/personalstatements/
What I suggest you do is make a list of all the things you have done, split it into academic and non-academic. Then come up with reasons why you like your subject - have you read any books, been to museums etc. Then come up with a good starting sentence explaining why you are passionate about your subject. The rest follows on from there.
Quote:
I think that would be a lot more honest than BS American motivational hype talk. I'm sorry to pin it all on the Americans, I'm not just feeling very eloquent at 4am this morning.

Lol - I am not much better at this time. Are you applying to any other UK universities, if your grades are good enough for St Andrews it might be worth sticking a few more down. Anywhere outside of Oxbridge is open to applicants, that includes Bath, Durham and a few other small town but high ranked universities.

Edit: Was sloppy of me - I thought you were applying for undergrad :(

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 7:17 am

I would advise against discussing Asperger's in your personal statement.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2009, 7:56 am

Orwell wrote:
I would advise against discussing Asperger's in your personal statement.

Hm depends though Orwell since I cannot recalled my personal statement for the three universities that I applied for at all but there are diversity quotas in place in some nations including our own. I think for my acceptance to Mason was more based upon my academic GPA (3.64) in High School and my other activities in High School like NJROTC and NHS.