For anyone in Psychology of some sort.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 7:58 pm

I put his under the College board since maybe someone from WP is in College studying Psychology of some sort. :-) I constantly hear that Aspies shouldn't get into it but that's not what I'm here to ask/discuss. I find the field of Psychology VERY interesting but don't know where to start. :-( I know what I don't want and maybe do want and 100% want LOL!

Don't WANT: Oh you have AS *Insert disorder here* (I am not becoming one to diagnose YOU!! !! !)

Kind of want: I saw a special on Neuropsychology and how a guy studied someone who woke up from a coma and it got me to thinking how about analyzing you drunk? But a friend made a point perhaps it's too many variables? (Plus Alcohol affects EVERYONE differently but seeing your brain in action WHILE Drunk sounds interesting)

100% want research Psychology of some form LOL! (Uhh can't go further then that since I can't think of anything LOL!)

I know Psychology is a vast field and the ONE thing I had the most fun with is I was doing short stories/answering questions and the teacher said write 4-5 sentences NOT one word so I said oh they are Psychologically traumatized suicidal etc. IF CARTOONS WERE REAL THE WOMEN WOULD OF HAD HER JAW DROPPED TO THE FLOOR!! ! She was like Uh Uh where did you think of that!? I told her I was in General Psychology etc. Analyzing in that form comes natural to me why I don't know.

I hope someone here at WP can help me. Thank You.

t0
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 11:01 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
I put his under the College board since maybe someone from WP is in College studying Psychology of some sort. :-) I constantly hear that Aspies shouldn't get into it but that's not what I'm here to ask/discuss. I find the field of Psychology VERY interesting but don't know where to start. :-( I know what I don't want and maybe do want and 100% want LOL!

Start taking college classes. It's not like you can take the advanced classes right away. You have to go through all the intro courses first. They touch on all the various areas and you can decide what you like. I earned a psych minor focusing mostly on the brain and various theories of learning. Fit well into my real obsession - artificial intelligence.

ThisUserNameIsTaken
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2009, 1:25 am

Start with an intro psych class and work your way up from there. Intro psych will introduce you to all the fields in psychology and all the major theories. After you take that class you'll have a much better idea of what all the disciplines in psychology are all about and which one interests you the most.

For me that ended up being the biological aspects of behavior so now I'm a neuroscience major. The plus to that is that neuroscience fits my AS personality a lot better than psychology did, especially in regards to research. Back when I was a psych major and running experiments on human participants I got in some trouble when I inadvertently freaked out some of the participants by commenting on how their brain scans were "interesting" (to me I was just stating an opinion but apparently the person hooked up the machine heard "interesting" as "cancer"). I also had to deal with some bs from the humans when they would miss their experiment time, or back out of the experiment for some paranoid reason (the lab's research was funded by the Department of Defense so when some participants saw that on the informed consent sheet they figured we were going to try to turn them into mind-controlled assassins). And I never completely got the hang of the various speeches I had to give at the beginning and end of the experiment (I think I came off as an idiot to everyone who worked in that lab because of how awkward I was when speaking). But luckily I don't have to deal with any of that crap in neuroscience research since all my participants are now rats.

jessimus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2009, 8:08 am

i wanna do criminal psychology when im finished high school :o

Firegirl531
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2009, 3:15 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
Kind of want: I saw a special on Neuropsychology and how a guy studied someone who woke up from a coma and it got me to thinking how about analyzing you drunk? But a friend made a point perhaps it's too many variables? (Plus Alcohol affects EVERYONE differently but seeing your brain in action WHILE Drunk sounds interesting)

100% want research Psychology of some form LOL! (Uhh can't go further then that since I can't think of anything LOL!)

I know Psychology is a vast field and the ONE thing I had the most fun with is I was doing short stories/answering questions and the teacher said write 4-5 sentences NOT one word so I said oh they are Psychologically traumatized suicidal etc. IF CARTOONS WERE REAL THE WOMEN WOULD OF HAD HER JAW DROPPED TO THE FLOOR!! ! She was like Uh Uh where did you think of that!? I told her I was in General Psychology etc. Analyzing in that form comes natural to me why I don't know.

I hope someone here at WP can help me. Thank You.

Well you could go into research (neuro, [animal/human] behavior) or neuro psychology. Research at the basic level only requires a BA or BS, but to be in charge of a study, it's best to be at least at the masters level.