Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Moomoogelato
Raven
Raven

31 Mar 2009, 9:21 pm

Hi, I'm Katie, I'm 17, and I am currently homeschooled, and just finished going over the hardest part of the GED book, well, the hardest part for me at least-- the math section. I am diagnosed as borderline NLD/Asperger's, and on top of which, I have Tourette's Syndrome. I am planning on taking the test at the South campus of a community college, and after we get the forms we need, and after we have all the forms filled out by all my doctors, we should hopefully have my accommodations met while I take the test. The accommodations I am asking for are extra time, and to take it in a separate room from everyone else. My main reasoning for these things is my Tourette's. Ticcing can take up a lot of time, and also be distractive to other test takers, and if I try to hold them in, instead of working on the TIMED TEST, I spend all my time focusing on not ticcing so I won't distract other people. I also do a lot better with not timed tests, because I'm the kind of person who thinks about the time limit the whole time I'm trying to take the test, instead of actually taking the test. Funny how that works. But I do very well on not timed tests.

Anyway, I'm looking for people on the Autistic Spectrum who can offer advice about taking the GED sometime during or after 2004. If you have NLD/NVLD or a dual diagnosis of NLD and AS, and took the GED in the time line given above, and have advice and support to offer me, please do!

I pretty much understood all of my GED book except the math part, which I had to study, but once I started studying in a GED book made specifically for math with the help of my AS boyfriend, I finally understood most of it. Well, everything except Geometry. Does anyone know how much of a part geometry plays in the 2009 version of the GED? If it's a small part, I think I will just leave it be, and work through the rest of the test and hopefully do well enough to pass.

Also, anyone is welcome to post here and tell me what they think, or offer support. I was just thinking maybe those who know someone with NLD or have NLD and have taken the GED recently would know best how to judge what I need to do or try not to fall into the trap of.

Posts would be greatly appreciated!

~Katie

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2009, 11:47 am

My sister took the GED at 15 and passed it on the first try, and she's always been terrible at math.

I think you'll do fine with it. Good luck.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Moomoogelato
Raven
Raven

01 Apr 2009, 12:33 pm

Thank you so much PrisonerSix! That makes me feel pretty good about it.

Moomoogelato
Raven
Raven

01 Apr 2009, 12:43 pm

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2009, 4:18 pm

Moomoogelato wrote:

You are very welcome, I do hope you pass. I wish I could have done something like that, homeschooling and GED, to avoid all the nonsense that went on in high school. My parents wouldn't go for it though, mainly because they saw how my sister was really stuck on herself and looked down on those of us who had to spend 4 years in high school. They didn't want that to happen to me, but it wouldn't have anyway, since she has always been stuck up, and still is.

Keep studying at it and do the best you can do. If someone who is 15 years old only had 2 years of high school can do it, someone who has been in a good homeschooling setup can do the same.

Good luck to you.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"