Asian American 2%  2%  [ 34 ]
Latino/Hispanic American 1%  1%  [ 19 ]
Latino/Hispanic American 1%  1%  [ 19 ]
Latino/Hispanic American 1%  1%  [ 20 ]
Latino/Hispanic American 1%  1%  [ 20 ]
You don't live in America so you don't know jack about American race relations LOL 4%  4%  [ 72 ]
You don't live in America so you don't know jack about American race relations LOL 4%  4%  [ 72 ]
Total votes : 1940

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 9:15 pm

Tom wrote:
Not very exciting for me....just born and bred in the English Midlands.

What is not exciting about the English Midlands?

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 9:24 pm

Actually, there is a little more to the racial relations situation in Melbourne than I implied earlier. There has been some controversy about Sudanese refugees, with some people ignoring histories of suffering and generalising from isolated instances of antisocial behaviour. I believe that there has generally been in Australia some issues with attitudes to Muslim immigrants (not a single ethnic group I know) and the immigration policy of our current Federal Government, a coalition of the Liberal Party and the National Party (yes I know detention centres began under a Labor government - American English spelling used for the Australian party unlike British Labour) with regard to asylum seekers has been pretty dreadful. This is probably moving more towards content appropriate to the Politics, Philosophy and Religion Forum rather than Statistics.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 10:48 am

looks like I am an American, with roots of Irish-Spanish (survivor when the Spanish Armada cracked up on the coast of Ireland) and French Huguenot ( baby in a basket rescued in a shipwreck on the way to US and named Benjamin Franklin Phillipe by the adopting rescuers.) and Swedish enough to make me sweat like I am in a sauna alla time. Some ancestors migrated from Germany with a religious sect that became the Pennsylvania Dutch.

I had red hair before it all went grey, and I have a fair complexion that tans beautifully. I pass for white, and I guess I am, but I doubt if any of my forbears were from the Caucus Mountains, though (Caucasian)

I went to Ellis Island once and looked up all the family names, and there was only ONE there and she came through and married a far offshoot 5th cousin of my mom, but that was it. I remember people around me being astounded, they had never realized that before Ellis Island people long ago could just take a ship and dock on the land mass of North America and just walk on in!

So I guess I am just as an "American" than any "original People" that walked over the land bridge from Asia.

Merle

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2007, 8:08 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
looks like I am an American, with roots of Irish-Spanish (survivor when the Spanish Armada cracked up on the coast of Ireland) and French Huguenot ( baby in a basket rescued in a shipwreck on the way to US and named Benjamin Franklin Phillipe by the adopting rescuers.) and Swedish enough to make me sweat like I am in a sauna alla time. Some ancestors migrated from Germany with a religious sect that became the Pennsylvania Dutch.

I had red hair before it all went grey, and I have a fair complexion that tans beautifully. I pass for white, and I guess I am, but I doubt if any of my forbears were from the Caucus Mountains, though (Caucasian)

I went to Ellis Island once and looked up all the family names, and there was only ONE there and she came through and married a far offshoot 5th cousin of my mom, but that was it. I remember people around me being astounded, they had never realized that before Ellis Island people long ago could just take a ship and dock on the land mass of North America and just walk on in!

So I guess I am just as an "American" than any "original People" that walked over the land bridge from Asia.

Merle

Thank you for this very interesting post. I think the Caucasus link with Caucasians is referring to ancient history (please correct me if I am mistaken) perhaps a hypothetical point from which people speaking a language or languages ancestral to the Indo-European languages migrated over a very long period of time to Iran, India, Asia Minor (Turkey today; NB however main language spoken there today the result of later migrations from central Asia) Greece, Spain, Gaul, etc.; some references refer to an origin in the south of Russia, a region consistent with the Caucasus hypothesis.

Interesting about the Irish-Spanish connection. I had heard something abot some surviving the devastation of the Armada and being shipwrecked not only in Ireland but in Scotland; do you know much about the history of how they and their descendants were able to integrate and find acceptance? This would be very interesting to look into.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2007, 3:48 am

Mom's side- Cherokee, Choctaw & Welsh
Dad's side- Cherokee, Ashkenazi Jew and Creek (Native American tribe)

Oddly enough I am told I don't look Native nor Jewish, but instead am accused of being Mexican or Middle Eastern.

Cameo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Sep 2007, 5:52 pm

I am 1/4 Polish and 1/4 Puerto Rican, and the other half is a mix of Scottish, Irish, German, Welsh, Norweigan, French-Canadian, and English.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2007, 12:39 pm

I have Scottish, Irish, Alsatian (a French/German mix), and Cherokee blood in me.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

weird_el
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Oct 2007, 11:22 pm

Northern European -- Swedish, Norwegian, Dutch, English, Alsatian, Austrian -- in that order.

Road_Kamelot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2007, 10:21 pm

I'm German/Polish/Ukranian/British

Mom's German/Polish/Ukranian

Omi's pure German

Opa's Polish/Ukranian

my So called Dad is pure British

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2007, 10:55 pm

I have these backgrounds: Irish, German, English, Welsh, Polish, Cherokee, Osage, Jewish. A lot of these are relative.

Helek_Aphel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2007, 5:50 pm

I'm Caucasian.
I have a German/Dutch (roughly half of both) background.
My father is an honorary black person. The black people he socialized with declared him "too cool to be a white guy".

merr
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2007, 9:22 pm

Helek_Aphel wrote:
I'm Caucasian.
I have a German/Dutch (roughly half of both) background.
My father is an honorary black person. The black people he socialized with declared him "too cool to be a white guy".
:lol:

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 11:59 pm

I am an Alaskan and therefore quite oblivious to 'America.' Never lived on the continent. I love Alaska too! But I am not an Alaska native - I am Caucasian.

I am of European ancestry. Most especially UK background; this means English (mostly) - family from Blackheath near Birmingham. And Scottish. Some French-ness in there. And my great grandmother was from India - Kashmir region, Muslim Sikh.

This means I'm white (born in AK means really ghastly pale - never had a tan - genetic too though)! I have dark green eyes with dark eyebrows and eyelashes, dark around the eyes. My hair is dark blonde.

I think OP meant ethnicity, not so much demographics, which can be misleading. I think we all know that anthropologically there is no such thing as human race, by definition. We have cultures, ethnicities though.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 6:50 pm

I'm causaian (how do you spell it?)

Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 7:35 pm

ebec11 wrote:
I'm causaian (how do you spell it?)

Caucasian ;)

LabPet