Why all the "self-definitions" of AS?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Which should I believe? (or should I just get treatment?)
Its a hard thing to deal with but, on the bright side, it enhances your skills! 61%  61%  [ 11 ]
It is hard to deal with in daily life, but treatment could help w/ some things? 39%  39%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 18

Jedipinkkid1138
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Mar 2012, 11:21 am

I have heard SO MANY THINGS ABOUT Asperger Syndrome! Some that it's disabilatating and hard to live with, because of all the physical, emotional & sensory ways. But also, many (at least my IEP teachers, for sure) people have also explained to me how "wonderful" it can be, because, I "see the world differently than everybody else does," (even more than every othe autistic person & aspergarian, if I'm using that term correctly?), and my aspergers enhances my artistic ability, so I'm also more creative than millions of ordinary, or average people who are and/or aren't autistic (seeing as every individual autistic person & aspergarian is unique & different).... But I know that those are just two sides of that type of Autism. And I don't know which side to believe more? I KNOW there's some things I can't change, yet I could possibly work on some, yet I know it's what helps me be highly maticulous (eye for detail), and therefore helps me & my artistic ability/talent.... I just am not sure what to do? (besides to get treatment for it?)

it's not gonna own you!..." -"Now" by Fireflight

questor
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 1:19 pm

Spectrum disorders are caused by a neurological problem, and are not curable. However, there are some treatments and coping methods available that can help. Sometimes people need financial help from the government to afford or qualify for some of the treatment programs out there. In order to get government help, you need a formal diagnosis from a doctor.

For those of us who are coping well enough without government assistance, or are too old to be helped much by the treatment programs, a formal diagnosis is not absolutely necessary, but we may suspect we are on the spectrum, and want to know, without having to see a psych doc. Many of us (myself included) were taken to many psych docs and therapists as children, and were not helped by these people, and often were hurt by the meds they put us on. When I was growing up spectrum disorders were not recognized as such. We were diagnosed as having emotional/behavioral problems, and/or discipline problems. I hated being forced to see all those psych docs and therapists. I have no trust for them, and don't believe they can help me any more now that I am in my early 50s, than they did back when I was a kid. I was always offended by their intrusive questions into my private thoughts, and never told them everything, just as little as possible.

I am too old to be helped by any job training programs, and all ready get SS for my other health problems. I also have developed my own coping methods over my 5 decades of life, so I don't absolutely need to have a formal diagnosis. However, when I first read about Asperger's I immediately saw myself in that article. Over the next few years I read any other Asperger's articles I came across and became more and more convinced that I have it. I finally started researching it online, and then took one of the online tests, which confirmed my belief. Not long after that my sister contacted me, and said she had read about Asperger's and believed that I have it. I had not discussed this with her ever before that. I told her that I had heard about and researched Asperger's, took one of the tests, and agreed that I do have it.

Why bother with an informal, self diagnosis? Well, I have spent all of my life being very different from other people, and often being treated badly because of my differences. All without knowing why I was different. It feels bad enough without the not knowing why. The not knowing why part made it worse. I can't fix my problems, but if I have to continue going through this for all of my life, I at least want to know why I am different! My self diagnosis doesn't fix anything, but it brought me relief from the unpleasant mystery of why I am different.

As for how legitimate such a diagnosis is, well, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. I am an Aspie duck. :lol:

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2012, 2:47 pm

I've known for a few years since taking all the AS/Autism tests online. Only sought formal diagnosis because of an issue at work.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 3:15 am

I think it would depend on how badly you are effected by it.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com