Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

NathanYoung
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Mar 2009, 2:00 am

Most of what I do 7 days a week has to do with candles and employment advocacy. I work with the media about autism work activism, radio stations and master suppliers. I devised formulas for ingredients and easy methods to produce professional higher end candles not typically sold in stores. In idea if I was to help others outside of my area it would be under the Compassionate Integrations platform as the ability to integrate the candle products into stores for the employment benefit of others is very easy by doing so and outside of the area such relations can be streamlined. All a person with a credible diagnosis of an autism related disorder would have to do is make them from home, label the candles and deliver the cases with even the help of family to stores and supply fundraisers such as schools with the candles.

I have not decided on whether to branch out with individuals or credible registered group based employment organizations. If you would be a qualifying individual what do you think, would you want to make candles without having to research hundreds or even thousands of formulas to find ones to out do competition? As far as supplies with advocacy I've been able to reduce the prices but may provide introductory candles for free and provide assistance on placing them into the first few stores in your area. Anyone that is on Wrong Planet here would at all be least a bit interested in the idea and what are your thoughts?

It's not all very easy, I have support workers that help me get around and I do not know the circumstances of others, especially in other states. I'd really like to work with people that are on the SSI or SSDI and who have autism as these are supposed to be special employment opportunities for those that cannot sustain mainstream employment.

Nathan Young

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 4:32 pm

No one is buying candles or other such nick nacks in this economy. People are finding it hard to even put food on the table and keep a roof over their head.

NathanYoung
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Mar 2009, 4:49 pm

Creating new products in a poor economy is not optimal. However based on my present experience sales are higher then ever before.

I'll explain why I think this is so.

1. The candles I have here are in a local economy that supports local product brands and small businesses.

2. People are indulging in the simple pleasures and not more expensive pleasures. Such as a new car, going out to eat every other day and diamonds.

3. The product brand is assisted by media sponsors and local businesses that feature the brand.

4. In bad economic times churches find higher funding many times. I think that less funding is around but not necessary impossible to derive, it's the choice of wherever funding exists as to where it goes.

I'd base a personal decision to create a new candle brand in another area based on a local economy. Not just if people are higher income but how locally oriented a community is. Small businesses that thrive in an area over that of a formula type of business (or simply co-exists well) will be a better choice. When a product is associated with locals and with disabilities for gainful employment you will find improved sales. Obviously those that cannot afford to put food on the dinner room table will not buy candles. However those suffering in a poor economy may get mad at disability employment product because people with disabilities are assisted in getting food on the table regardless of attempting to work if substantially disabled.

My attitude is in a bad economy it is easy to plant the seeds (assimilate and formulate the frameworks) for opportunity but not necessary prosper. I am not someone that gives up easy and have done very well in being patient and building up a local and regional brandology and advocacy product. The target audience for candles is mostly female in exception for males that buy as gifts or that are into non-feminine fragrances.

Nathan Young

ptown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Mar 2009, 7:10 pm

if you can do candles, you can do melt and pour soaps also and everyone uses soap!!
:-)

NathanYoung
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Mar 2009, 7:15 pm

I have thought about that and including shampoos. Disability to work must be competitive and right now the soybean candles beat all the competition.

Candles have a spectrum of costs which are acceptable to charge. Charging $4-7 for a bar of soap even if handmade and luxury with all the good stuff I do not imagine to be ok.

To begin to be competitive I'd have to order 1,800 pounds of soap base like I do with the soybean wax by the pallet. Good idea though of yours.

ptown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Mar 2009, 9:47 pm

could you upload photos of your candles to your website?
i love humboldt. my sister used to live in ferndale...

NathanYoung
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Mar 2009, 9:53 pm

Hi,

I'm working on it. My camera was stolen and cannot get another one yet. However it's all part of the plan. The online side of things I'm just working on when I can. I have one store alone that sells 40+ candles a month and there are many more stores coming on board. All year long I somehow have to catch up with the Christmas season. Right now I'm between funding large supply purchases and really hiring the disability to work labor I need cause I work to much. It's all entertaining and I like business allot.

Some folks say the Candles are a positive thing here. Some people perceive Humboldt as drugs.

Nathan Young

NathanYoung
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Apr 2009, 1:44 am

Ferndale we seemed to have skipped and right now the focus is on tourism related locations. Trinidad and the Avenue of the Giants mostly. I think Ferndale we will talk to soon about the candles. I know a hotel owner called from there a few months ago and said how much she liked the candles.

ptown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2009, 6:08 pm

from all the times i've been to ferndale, i would say it is VERY touristy and upscale...2 movies have been filmed there...
you could do really well in ferndale.

NathanYoung
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Apr 2009, 6:10 pm

Yes it is a nice place.