Finally there's a glimmer of hope!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

anewman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jul 2012, 4:51 pm

I studied Psychology, achieving a first and graduating in 2005. Struggling to find work, and in the hope it would help find employment, I studied for a masters, graduating in 2008. Ever since I have been applying for jobs. Whenever I've managed to get an interview, the interview has always gone poorly. I believe this is due largely to AS. Understandably, I never managed to get a job after an interview.

I did have one job, but there was no interview for this. Merely a case of checking you were a human being. It was factory work, involving pressing a mould onto icing on Christmas cakes. Quite some pressure was needed to do this properly, it involved thousands of cakes each day, leaving me physically aching - and I felt I was becoming the target of jibes from the line manager. Probably due to AS. I gave up after 2 weeks.

A few months ago I applied for a job at a Government department working as a statistician. I was rejected, mostly due to not showing good examples of my experience in teamwork or managing work load at interview. I wrote an email of complaint addressing it to the company's diversity officer - who had been mentioned in emails sent by them when inviting me for interview etc. The basic theme was that I felt they were not adhering to their obligations under the Equality Act (UK legislation) by making the recruitment process so rigid and inflexible, that a person with a disability such as mine might never get through, and that in fact I felt my disability might be an asset in this job. I also asked if it might be possible to have some work experience.

Then a short time later I received an email offering unpaid work experience for 4 weeks. I accepted and have been doing it for a few weeks now. I actually kind of enjoy it. I figure I enjoy it as much as I would ever enjoy any job. I feared the open plan office layout and interactions with other people, but those aspects don't seem overly bad. In fact, I kind of figure that had I been provided with my own isolated office, or a desk next to a window, I'd probably spend more time absorbed in myself/staring out the window. I guess in a way I've been shielded from the "office politics" though, as I'm only on a work experience placement.

I appear to have impressed them, and now they are discussing the possibility of a short term (few months) contract of paid employment. No firm offer as yet, but I'm hopeful. They said some of the people they get as employees are extremely poor at the job. This only seems to confirm my hypothesis that giving a good interview, does not necessarily mean you will be good at the job. That the NT skill of b*** s******g is far more important when it comes to getting a job.

It would be an unusual feeling working, and in a relatively skilled position, while I know I would never manage to get any kind of minimum wage job, because I can never appear "normal" in an interview situation. I know how hard it is out there to get any kind of job. Especially for Aspies who are often disadvantaged against other candidates in the interview situation.

I only wish that if I managed to get a job, and keep it long-term, that I could somehow help other Aspies who have had the same difficulties finding work I have over the last 7 years. I'd love to setup a business and automatically reject people without a disability - this would in fact be entirely legal under the legislation, as non-disabled people are not protected. Unfortunately I doubt it would ever happen.

Nikkt
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Jul 2012, 6:31 am

Hey, congrats. I think resilience is something aspies can become great at, and judging by your story you're a prime example.

anewman wrote:
This only seems to confirm my hypothesis that giving a good interview, does not necessarily mean you will be good at the job. That the NT skill of b*** s******g is far more important when it comes to getting a job.

Turn that hypothesis into a theory. One with as much evidence as, say...gravity. Of course a good interview doesn't necessarily mean a good job performance, even NTs know that. But it's the most efficient (read: lazy) way to do things and it's not likely to change any time soon. It's why you've got to either play the game or find a way around it. Seems like you might have found a way around it. Sweet. :)

http://linguisticautistic.tumblr.com/

anewman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Aug 2012, 7:14 pm

I have been offered a one year contract. Far more than I had expected.

periphery
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Aug 2012, 10:46 pm

This is a great story! I love how you persevered instead of just feeling defeated after your rejection (as I likely would have done). And now you've finally be given the chance to prove yourself you have done just that.
Well done I hope you feel extremely proud, and once you have this one year experience under your belt you will be in a far better position to seek (skilled) employment elsewhere if you choose not to stay on.