I have a job interview tomorrow! Help!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

MissBrooklyn
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Nov 2014, 11:55 am

Ok so I applied to be a beauty consultant at a well known store. Mainly because for years I've been going to this store trying out different skin care products/makeup and I know a lot of information about that. Problem is, I'm gonna have to do a lot of one on one interaction with people, and not being naturally good at that...I just hope it goes well. I mean, I hope I can deliver the information that I know in an understandable way and make people feel comfortable. I would like to receive tips to prepare myself for the interview, and if I do get hired, for the job, Thanks!

Eir
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Nov 2014, 12:35 pm

Congrats! I hope your interview goes well.

Hold eye contact. Smile. First impressions matter. I've gotten the job in the first 5 to 10 minutes in most interviews I've been to and the rest has been just ironing out details. What I mean that that's probably how long it takes the interviewer to decide whether you are "hireable" or not. When I was working a customer service job my boss was incredibly concerned about appearances (and totally tactless about it, but that's another story), and that included looking happy (not concentrated/neutral, which they said looked angry) while I was doing my job whenever I was somewhere the customers might see (open plan office behind the counter). I had to learn to keep a slight smile on my face all the time, which has proved to be an incredibly useful skill in a wide variety of situations. There was a helpful article about first impressions and small talk on WP that I was reading recently, but I can't find it anymore.

If you're worried about communicating what you know, be direct. Use plainer language if your message is not understood. Smile while you do that. I find that people are rarely offended even if you have to use very small words. They want to understand and be understood and that is a reward in itself for them. Just remember to use tact, smile and if necessary use gentle self-deprecating humor. I don't mean you should put yourself down, but that if your message is not understood take the blame for it even if you feel it's not your fault.

Show interest in the job and the workplace. Yes, you're there to be interviewed, but you're also there to interview the job. You could think of a couple of questions beforehand, or more than a couple since some of them might be answered before you have the chance to ask them. It's a good idea to have something to say when the interview winds down to the "do you have any questions" stage.

Don't worry about the technical stuff. It sounds like you know that already, besides which you always learn the specifics at the job by doing the job. They're probably looking more for social and customer service skills anyway. Customer service is (I think) mostly about attitude. Your goal is basically to make the customer feel happy about themselves, about the interaction, about you and about the product (and of course make the sale). You can demonstrate that considerate, respectful and caring attitude by showing interest in them (not just talking about yourself) and asking insightful questions, which is why I suggested you do that. Customer service can be learned, so if you're asked about it be honest about your experience/lack of it and communicate your wish & motivation to learn.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 7:35 pm

I wish you luck on your interview.

The previous advice applies.

But please remember: At stores, you are selling products. You have to interact with people--perhaps even kiss their butts a little bit--perhaps lie about how "beautiful" they look.

If you exhibit the technical knowledge required for the position of "beauty consultant," yet show a lack of the ability to incorporate and convey this knowledge to customers in a "social" way, they won't hire you.

The store is there to make money. People who are socially distant as salespeople don't make money for the store.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 12:06 am

They called you for an interview, so keep in mind that they want you to do well.

Also, if they ask for a fault or a 'what is your worst quality', make it something not related to the job's central purpose. And tell them what you would do to correct it. So, say sales is not the main area, let them know that you had some difficulty with a cash register once, but that whenever you have learned the codes for the register, it won't be a difficulty.

I found that the days that I felt I had failed the interview, and then just had a good talk, were my best interviews.

Wish me luck! Am applying for a new job.

Do not worry! If you have the know how as I think you do, then you will be fine!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2014, 2:01 am

How did the interview go?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

MissBrooklyn
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Dec 2014, 11:49 am

So I went in for the interview and it was such an uncomfortable experience. So I tried my best to be extremely polite and smiling at all times (because I tend to look serious a lot). So here is what went wrong. For one my bag smelled like bananas cause I had brought 2 bananas for lunch and they got really ripe in my bag. For 2 I worked at a perfume store, so we were discussing a lot about that and it was so weird that I worked at a perfume store and I was emphasizing how I liked that job because I like perfumes and helping people. Meanwhile my bag smells like bananas... Secondly when she asked for my resume, I took it out of my purse and my purse accidentally slipped out of the chair and fell on to the floor, which probably made the banana smell stronger. The room was warm and not that big. There was no barrier between us so I felt uncomfortable and held onto my folder on my lap while I was getting interviewed. I'm sure it looked like I had it out in case she asked for more references. But she might have been smart enough to know that I was using it as a barrier. She was extremely nice and bubbly....I'm not an extremely bubbly person but I did do a lot of "no showing teeth" smiling. She kept making deep intense eye contact which was making me feel uncomfortable and I started sweating. I tried my best to keep eye contact and not let my eyes drift away but I'm sure I looked like I was starring and not making genuine eye contact (that is difficult for me to do). Before she continued to ask questions she said if I have any questions for her. I couldn't think of anything so I said "no" and smiled. Then she asked me to pretend she was shopping at the store and she asked me how I would approach her. I told her I would say "hi how are you, do you need help finding anything?" She said "yes I'm looking for an eye liner that is long wear." I then couldn't remember the word "water proof" so I stopped making eye contact and looked to the right (behind her) and blanked out for like a few seconds... she just kept looking at me, as I was trying to figure out what that dang word was. I was thinking "water resistant...oil resistant...." and finally I remembered the word and said "I would recommend a water proof eye liner." It was horrible. She then asked me what kind of eye liner do I wear. I said "wet n wild". I know..weird name for an eye liner but that is really the name of it and it is a cheap brand which I'm sure she knows. I'm broke so that is all I can afford (but I didn't tell her that part). She then said that the job requires me to hold events, attend them, develop relationships with customers, etc. Then at the end she said I would have to go in for another interview. I said thank you, and that it was nice meeting her. She kindly walked me out the door and said have a good day or something like that. It wasn't till after that I realized that I didn't even ask her more info about this other interview that I had to go to. So that probably made the impression that I wasn't even interested. I haven't received any email or phone call since.

MissBrooklyn
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Dec 2014, 12:04 pm

Oh yeah..and also... all of this stress lowered my immune system and now I'm sick with a cold. And when I was at the interview the air felt so dry that my eyes started to feel dry (and I wear contacts) so I kept having to blink a lot at some point during the interview. I probably looked like a total mess...

I don't even know where else to work. I need a job where I could just do my job without having to do so much social interaction because that is my weakness.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 11:48 pm

You got past the first stage and did well enough to get to the second interview. She might not have noticed the banana smell as much because as an NT she might not be sensitive to oders. But the job description sounds awful for people like us.

You have to think of things you are good at and find a job that uses these skills.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Scanner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Dec 2014, 3:38 pm

In my very first interview when I was asked if I had any questions I also said no. I looked around online and I learned that you're suppose to ask them about their job and how they like it and how they got started and what not. They say people like to talk about themselves and you're suppose to give the interviewer a min interview.