Should I pursue a Career as a Train Driver?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

badgerface
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Dec 2014, 6:38 am

I find myself approaching 35, through chance and (bad?) luck working in Insurance for nearly 10 years now, and having no interest, enthusiasm or drive to carry on. I just go into work, quite literally count the hours until I go home. I actually do; I draw 10 circles on the side of a piece of paper as soon as I get in, and scribble out 1 an hour on the hour to see the progress towards getting to go home as the day goes by.

I recently completed quite an in-depth questionnaire from a Careers Advisor; which asked lots of detailed questions about me, what I like, don't like and so on; and it suggested the sort of jobs that would suit me. Unsurprisingly, a lot of the obvious "ideal jobs for people on the spectrum" came up; Data Entry, Design Engineer, solitary outside jobs with no people interaction etc. But, one which I hadn't considered came up as a very good "match"; a Train Driver. Since it has a few months back, it's been on my mind quite a bit - it does seem to suit well; I'd be by myself a lot, wouldn't have to speak to hardly any people, it's repetitive and simple in the sense that it's a fixed set of tasks etc.

I wondered what thoughts anyone on here might have?

bacun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2014, 6:38 am

Not a lot of jobs and the ASD will most likely disqualify you altho a waiver can be had . So are you ok with lying or do you feel you don't really have a ASD?

badgerface
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2014, 7:09 am

I'm diagnosed, and I agree with the diagnosis. I would not disclose it, as I do not feel it is relevant; if I pass the tests and were successful in an interview, I do not see why it would matter...

badgerface
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2014, 8:16 am

...I'm more concerned with the intermittent migraines I get being an issue

bacun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2014, 8:30 am

badgerface wrote:
...I'm more concerned with the intermittent migraines I get being an issue

Just don't disclose it man ,no ones gonna look into it unless you tell someone about it or royally f**k up.

badgerface
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2014, 9:37 am

Good point. My Parents haven't even been told; why should I tell anyone else?! :|

bacun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2014, 9:47 am

badgerface wrote:
Good point. My Parents haven't even been told; why should I tell anyone else?! :|

There you go! A lot of people on the spectrum have trouble with lying for some reason ,even though everyone does it to get where they are in life;you should never snitch on yourself.