Wanting to bring childish stuff to work

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ElmersTrueLove
Toucan
Toucan

09 May 2024, 11:46 am

I'm being told I can't get a job because I can't bring my Looney Tunes emergency bag + water bottle, lanyard and lunchbox to my job because it would be too babyish and they won't let me script there and I just want to explode or rip my hair out!

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

ElmersTrueLove
Toucan
Toucan

09 May 2024, 12:02 pm

Update: The person I was talking to said they all look cool (I brought up images from Google) and I can bring them. The problem is she thinks I'm bringing them to volunteering and I want to bring them to my actual job if I ever get one.

Update again: I can bring them to my actual job and not volunteering : ))) Just need to get the lanyard.

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

Last edited by ElmersTrueLove on 09 May 2024, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 12:07 pm

I've usually brought toys and comfort items to jobs. As long as they don't interfere and aren't a distraction no one cares.

Odds are your boss will have some sort of comfort item on their desk, so they'll probably get it.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 12:12 pm

Lots of adults bring small toys and other things to decorate and personalize their desk. Anyone who tells you you can't do that is a likely a very toxic person.

MoeTrashPanda
Raven
Raven

09 May 2024, 12:18 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I've usually brought toys and comfort items to jobs. As long as they don't interfere and aren't a distraction no one cares.

Odds are your boss will have some sort of comfort item on their desk, so they'll probably get it.

Same! I have fidget spinners, slime, figurines, mini squishmallows, etc. at my desk at work. These items are childish, and I have gotten people comment/giggle at them (mainly people curious about what the item is, or where I got it from!). I take it in stride and giggle along with them! I think it is totally fine to bring those items to work with you--especially if it makes you feel more comfortable, confident, and allows you to stim.

Try not to worry so much about what other people have to say/might think about you (easier said than done, I know)! If your boss doesn't mind, then other people's opinions don't matter. You might even find a coworker who also likes Looney Tunes who notices your merch! People are usually more focused on themselves to worry about your comfort items. ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

ʕ◉ᴥ◉ʔ

ElmersTrueLove
Toucan
Toucan

09 May 2024, 12:42 pm

I'm not referring to toys (my "guys" stay on display most of the time due to fear of contamination, but I could visit with the doll at some point maybe), I am referring to common work items (bags and lanyards) with "baby show" characters on them, namely Looney Tunes. I also posted an update.

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 12:51 pm

ElmersTrueLove wrote:
I'm not referring to toys (my "guys" stay on display most of the time due to fear of contamination, but I could visit with the doll at some point maybe), I am referring to common work items (bags and lanyards) with "baby show" characters on them, namely Looney Tunes. I also posted an update.

If you can get away with literal toys, work related items with cute things on them will be even less of an issue. Unless there's something deeply offensive on your lunchbag no one is going to make a big deal out of how it's decorated.

And if they do, they'll be in the wrong and will be corrected if you draw attention to their judgmental behaviour.

MoeTrashPanda
Raven
Raven

09 May 2024, 1:27 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
ElmersTrueLove wrote:

If you can get away with literal toys, work related items with cute things on them will be even less of an issue. Unless there's something deeply offensive on your lunchbag no one is going to make a big deal out of how it's decorated.

And if they do, they'll be in the wrong and will be corrected if you draw attention to their judgmental behaviour.

^^ this

ʕ◉ᴥ◉ʔ