Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2009, 8:16 pm

Does anyone know of people with HFA or AS being accepted into the military? I'm putting a lot of effort into being able to qualify, but I'm worried that my diagnoses will hold me back. If anyone has any pesonal experiences with the military, that would help answer my question, I would really appreciate the help.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2009, 8:52 pm

I was in the Navy for 1 year 4 months and 12 days. I was heavily recruited by all branches of the military because I nearly aced their ASVAB test. I went into the Naval nuclear program. I was at a point of my life where records of my diagnosis were not in the hands of the government or school system (I was diagnosed with autistic disorder at 3). At the time, I was not asked about being autistic, so I didn't tell. However, I received a medical discharge.

I think now that autism is all the rage, the military does ask. However, I think they would allow an Aspie into the military as long as there is no special accommodation needed. However, please be aware that the military in general is full of NT's and thrives on NT rituals. I believe that the most Aspie friendly branch of the military would be the Air Force. I would have joined the Air Force and would likely still be in had I not been heavily pressured my the Navy recruitor.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2009, 9:07 pm

x_amount_of_words wrote:
Does anyone know of people with HFA or AS being accepted into the military? I'm putting a lot of effort into being able to qualify, but I'm worried that my diagnoses will hold me back. If anyone has any pesonal experiences with the military, that would help answer my question, I would really appreciate the help.

I know of one (undiagnosed, but classical Asperger's symptoms). They tried really hard to keep him in.

Air Force is the more lenient of issues. The Marines might be the hardest on you.

The Air Force is IQ first and fitness 2nd (unless you are wanting SERE or PJ)

The Navy would be the 2nd best choice and is also IQ first and fitness 2nd (unless you are becoming a SEAL)

the Marines would probably be 3rd, and the Army 4th.

However, your acceptance depends on your job as much as your branch of service.

What do you want to do in the military?

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2009, 10:08 pm

I had 6 years in the army, I just never disclosed my diagnosis. The VA psychologist told me that Asperger's syndrome wasn't a disqualifier in the first place.

Whatever you do, don't tell your air force recruiter about your diagnosis, they're the MOST strict when it comes to pre-existing conditions. Ironically, they're the least likely to need somebody in perfect health, their standards don't excactly make sense.

If you join the army, be perepared to do a lot of push-ups, standing, sleep deprivation, and tons of getting yelled at. Once you're past basic training things tone down a lot, but you're going to have changes thrown at you from nowhere. I didn't enjoy it as much as other people did.

From what I'm hearing, there's a huge enlistment surge thanks to the economy. Good luck.

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2009, 11:38 pm

Recruiters are under a lot of pressure to get recruits. If you don't think you can lie or otherwise hide it, just level with him, and say you have this condition, but you know you can succeed as a soldier anyways. Trust me, 9 out of 10 of them will get you in regardless.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 12:15 am

sacrip wrote:
Recruiters are under a lot of pressure to get recruits. If you don't think you can lie or otherwise hide it, just level with him, and say you have this condition, but you know you can succeed as a soldier anyways. Trust me, 9 out of 10 of them will get you in regardless.

only the army and the marines are in need of recruits.

the AF is not, and has become more particular about who they let in. They have plenty of recruits and do not see as much combat, so their ASVAB scores and other requirements can be higher.

the only thing you have to be careful of is what is in your contract when you sign it.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 8:38 am

Shiggily wrote:
x_amount_of_words wrote:

I know of one (undiagnosed, but classical Asperger's symptoms). They tried really hard to keep him in.

Air Force is the more lenient of issues. The Marines might be the hardest on you.

The Air Force is IQ first and fitness 2nd (unless you are wanting SERE or PJ)

The Navy would be the 2nd best choice and is also IQ first and fitness 2nd (unless you are becoming a SEAL)

the Marines would probably be 3rd, and the Army 4th.

However, your acceptance depends on your job as much as your branch of service.

What do you want to do in the military?

I'm hoping to get into the Airforce since I know it is more technical and less physical. I'm not sure about what MOS I want though. I guess I'll see what I qualify for when I take the ASVAB.

I'm sure they will ask me about prior diagnoses. Since I know the DX is in my records, I'll probably just play it down as much as I can. Hopefully it won't be a problem if I don't need meds or accomodations...which I wouldn't expect anyways. But if no branch will accept me, maybe I'm just not meant to be in the military. I know it will be difficult with the whole anxiety thing, but I think I can do it.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 7:27 pm

They don't have to look at your medical records, as far as they're concerned, they don't even exist. These guys aren't in any position to verify whether or not you've seen any kind of provider as long as you've been alive. I'm willing to bet it'll be the airforce recruiter who turns you down for having AS. Never mind the fact that every airman I run into seems to have it, they just get so many recruits that they can play the numbers game and decide turn people down for any reason.

I'd reccomend trying the airforce first just because it is the most AS friendly, but if things don't work out, you can sign up with the army and actually pick your MOS (the other branches won't exactly let you do this).

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 10:13 pm

MDD123 wrote:
They don't have to look at your medical records, as far as they're concerned, they don't even exist. These guys aren't in any position to verify whether or not you've seen any kind of provider as long as you've been alive. I'm willing to bet it'll be the airforce recruiter who turns you down for having AS. Never mind the fact that every airman I run into seems to have it, they just get so many recruits that they can play the numbers game and decide turn people down for any reason.

I'd reccomend trying the airforce first just because it is the most AS friendly, but if things don't work out, you can sign up with the army and actually pick your MOS (the other branches won't exactly let you do this).

you can pick your MOS in the AF. my husband did. You just need the job written into the contract when you sign up. Otherwise they can change it. And it is not too hard to convince the recruiter to do so if you pick a job they are in need of. Otherwise you will be an MP or food services.

SK4
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Sep 2009, 2:10 pm

I'm in the process of getting into the Army myself, I've never recieved special accomidations at work because when I apply I don't tell, same works with the Army because US health care isn't government run so they don't look into it unless you're getting medical care for certain reasons I suppose. (Not entirely sure on medical discharge rate for Army other than what's been confirmed here so far.)

At the moment the active Army reenlistment rate is almost 100% and just the reserve recruitment is delaying about a year or longer (basically not taking anyone) because of the economy, everyone is trying to get into the military.