Maybe I should become a consultant

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2009, 8:54 pm

It seems my greatest strength is my ability to find the flaws, downsides, problems with anything.

This isn't strictly job related, but that definitely seems to be my greatest strength. I have family members that offer suggestions on how I can improve my life, but I can always without even a second's thought, be able to tell them why their suggestions won't work or what's wrong with their ideas. I'm sure it drives them nuts and keeps them from offering ways to help me. Hell, it even drives me nuts.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2009, 6:00 am

That will only be of value if you can spot the SOLUTION to those problems.

Anyone can find flaws. Consultants are wanted so problems can be fixed.

WoodenNickel
Toucan
Toucan

29 Aug 2009, 7:17 am

Not only do you need to be able to offer solutions, you need customers. No business can survive without customers.

And how do you get customers? Networking! Oops, that's something we're terrible at.

Here's a common Aspie conundrum: many of us do not like to work for others, yet we're unable to obtain the customers who would allow us to work for ourselves.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 2:22 pm

I don't know much about consulting, but usually consultants have a lot of university education, some experience, and a sizable network of people to draw from. It helps a lot if you went to an ivy league school. Yes, networking is crucial for a job like this. You need to inspire confidence in your abilities, so people want to be your clients.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 6:23 am

WoodenNickel wrote:
And how do you get customers? Networking! Oops, that's something we're terrible at.

Here's a common Aspie conundrum: many of us do not like to work for others, yet we're unable to obtain the customers who would allow us to work for ourselves.

I SO agree!! !

We are smarter than they are but we lack the social skills, the drive and the killer instinct.

One answer is to take on a partner to act as the front man.

Find a good salesman or agent and let him line up the work.

He can sell you as the great Guru but you can't do that for yourself.

WoodenNickel
Toucan
Toucan

30 Aug 2009, 2:45 pm

Wombat wrote:
WoodenNickel wrote:

I SO agree!! !

We are smarter than they are but we lack the social skills, the drive and the killer instinct.

One answer is to take on a partner to act as the front man.

Find a good salesman or agent and let him line up the work.

He can sell you as the great Guru but you can't do that for yourself.

A way I've heard to do this is to sub to one or contractors that can line up work for you. So far, I've been unable to find those in my fields. :(