What job skills do Aspies have that NT's don't?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

SusyQ
Raven
Raven

24 Nov 2006, 10:31 am

I am working on a letter to the editor about AS and am also thinking of ways to be an AS advocate and keep thinking about specific skills etc that Aspies bring to the workplace that NT's don't. Right now, all can think of is reliability, honesty, strict rule following, and a new way of looking at things. However, those are things NT's can do as well. Anyone have more specific ideas? Thank you for your input.

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2006, 11:10 am

Willing to work overtime, weekends, and holidays because they ain't got no social life.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

lkonantz
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2006, 4:26 pm

We are very good with detials and getting a task done fast and well.

These are the things that my bosses like about me where I got during the summer, because they don't have to worry about me not getting the job done and they know the it will be done right the first time.

NorahW
Raven
Raven

24 Nov 2006, 4:34 pm

Depending on the Aspie, it could be none or many. Each individual Aspie should figure out what their best skills are and sell themselves based on that, with examples. Not all Aspies have the same skills, just like not all NT's do.

For instance, this one Aspie has a website and gives a lot of advice on career and work to other Aspies, and he seems to think many Aspies have a problem with time management and will be always late unless they work on this diligently. However, many Aspies report being very punctual and reliable (always at work, etc.), more so than some of their NT colleagues.

So I do really think it's based on the individual, just like with NT's, and I get kind of frustrated when I see things promoting these traits that all Aspies supposedly have that will make better workers. I know this is done for autistic advocacy, to try to get more people into the workplace, and it's meant well; but what about those Aspies/auties who don't have those particular traits? Is someone going to hire them because "Oh, they're AS and they have such-and-such traits" and then be even more disappointed when that particular Aspie doesn't have those traits, then they won't want to hire anyone on the spectrum from then on? You know how some NT's generalize about things sometimes.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2006, 4:57 pm

Working alone is a good one and we don't generally spend the day in idle chit chat with others

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2006, 1:33 am

We're good at details, and are willing to work overtime so the job gets finished. I usually stay a half hour later than scheduled, which is good in retail when things have to be restocked.

NorahW
Raven
Raven

25 Nov 2006, 3:53 am

CanyonWind wrote:
Willing to work overtime, weekends, and holidays because they ain't got no social life.

What about Aspies who get overstimulated/overly tired if they work more than a few hours a day? I've heard some Aspies say they couldn't do a full-time job because they need time to recharge. I don't think there's any one thing that can be said to be an Aspie work trait, because there are so many differences between Aspies.

NorahW
Raven
Raven

25 Nov 2006, 3:54 am

parts wrote:
Working alone is a good one and we don't generally spend the day in idle chit chat with others

What about people like me who would like to be able to chat more and, even if not able to do this, spends at least a couple hours throughout the day worrying about who's going to lunch, how social everyone's being and why can't I join in that conversation, is everyone going out after work and not inviting me, etc.

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2006, 10:18 pm

CanyonWind wrote:

Speak for yourself. Some of us have SO's we'd like to spend that time with. And 'they ain't got no social life' is TERRIBLE grammar.

"In what concerns you much, do not think that you have companions: know that you are alone in the world."

Henry David Thoreau

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2006, 11:35 pm

CanyonWind wrote:

Not me. When I live on my own, I am reserving holidays and weekends for listening to my stereo and other fun and leisure. Just you have no social life doesn't mean you can't have quality time to yourself keep in mind.

NorahW
Raven
Raven

26 Nov 2006, 1:43 am

Stereokid wrote:
CanyonWind wrote:

Not me. When I live on my own, I am reserving holidays and weekends for listening to my stereo and other fun and leisure. Just you have no social life doesn't mean you can't have quality time to yourself keep in mind.

That's very true.

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2006, 11:28 am

Furthermore, asperger's doesn't 'doom' you to having no social life. It may change what that means versus what it means for other people. I have a handful of friends, I spend time with them, we talk and play board games and such. To me, that's a social life. I agree that in some places it is more difficult to find that than in others, I used to live in an area where I never made a friend, this was for about a decade and a half. Where I live now if you are socially awkward and interested in 'strange' things chances are there is someone who is also awkward and shares your interests.

Also, it must be stated that not all aspies are introverted and certainly most are not completely reclusive. I find it funny that on a forum like this that people are so prone to stereotyping because of all people we should be aware of the real experience.

"In what concerns you much, do not think that you have companions: know that you are alone in the world."

Henry David Thoreau

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 2:23 am

lkonantz wrote:
We are very good with detials and getting a task done fast and well.

These are the things that my bosses like about me where I got during the summer, because they don't have to worry about me not getting the job done and they know the it will be done right the first time.

seconded =)

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2010, 6:34 pm

Twitch wrote:
Furthermore, asperger's doesn't 'doom' you to having no social life. It may change what that means versus what it means for other people. I have a handful of friends, I spend time with them, we talk and play board games and such. To me, that's a social life. I agree that in some places it is more difficult to find that than in others, I used to live in an area where I never made a friend, this was for about a decade and a half. Where I live now if you are socially awkward and interested in 'strange' things chances are there is someone who is also awkward and shares your interests.

Also, it must be stated that not all aspies are introverted and certainly most are not completely reclusive. I find it funny that on a forum like this that people are so prone to stereotyping because of all people we should be aware of the real experience.

You are totally right about many things, seriously some AS people can actually get along with others, do things on a very timely manner and become wizards at their jobs. You just need to learn how to figure out how to achieve all of your goals in a timely manner and know how to do things efficiently in a timely manner. These are just the simple tricks of the trade, this is just simply my opinion.