Anyone here work with autistic kids?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 2:04 am

I'm wondering if there's anyone here who's on the spectrum and has some experience working with children with moderate to severe autism? If so, does it seem any easier for you to communicate with them and understand them than it is for your co-workers? What effect (if any) do you feel your own ASD has had on your job performance and satisfaction? Thanks.

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 2:17 am

I did once, in a very unwanted situation, babysit for a friend of my parent's child who was autistic. I found it relatively easy, but I didn't have to deal with any severe situations. Perhaps this was because after reviewing his routines, I was easily able to synchronize these with mine, and of course I avoided sensory stimulation, so we had no conflict. The child was familiar with me, so that was not an issue either. We seemed to get along well, and I was easily able to recognize any early signs of distress. On an irrelevant note, we have the same name. My younger sister (who was the original babysitter) loved the child, but experienced far more difficulties during her time.

I have considered working with autistics as a career in relation to my interest in psychology, but I do not desire to make this experience happen with children.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 3:01 am

Thanks, chaotik_lord. Sounds like you're lucky the kid knew you already, they seem to behave worst around people they're not familiar with. Is this child verbal? Did your sister have more trouble recognizing signs of distress or otherwise interpreting his/her requests?

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 4:23 am

My son has an ASD but his is mild to moderate although some days are far worse than others. I get along very well with my baby. Better than with my NT daughter. I pick up on his cues and what sets him off very fast as opposed to most people. Part of it is that I'm his mother but part of it is I'm an aspie and I know too....I plan to become a speech therapist and work with children on the autism spectrum.

Autumnsteps
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2010, 4:46 am

My son was diagnosed with adhd though I believe he maybe on the spectrum. Now I've figured out that fact and I'm figuring out myself, I'm finding it easier to understand him. I'm also half way through a course in autism (which is what made me realize) which has helped. I'm hoping to work with children with behavioral or emotional problems after my degree and would really like to work in the school near us that has a unit for children with autism

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 6:18 am

I work with kids on the spectrum right now. I've also worked with adults on the spectrum, who are very severe cases, mostly nonverbal. I've found it much easier to understand the adults, even though many children I've worked with were less severe than the adults. Nevertheless, I often did find that I had more effective approaches to working with people on the spectrum than my co-workers. However, there are some variations among the way they think, so I can understand certain people better than others, but it's certainly easier than working with NTs. I don't think I could handle doing that for such a long period of time: it would be very exhausting. I remember having to tutor two kids all by myself at a local elementary school, and it made me very exhausted, indeed.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 9:04 am

Thanks for all of your responses. I've been disappointed in my career choice and looking to make a change. Having worked briefly in a school for autistic children and gathered advice all around, I'm now looking at grad schools to pursue a masters in special education, and reading your responses here has made me feel more convinced and less nervous about this decision. Thanks again and best of luck to all of you in your careers.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 4:18 pm

Once I did a work placement at a day centre for disabled young adults. And one of them was a severe autistic, he is verbal but only talks when it's really necessary. I got on well with him and we used to play on his "who wants to be a millionaire?" DVD game, it was easy because I'm not pressured to keep talking and entertain him, we just sat there quietly and chose the right answers. When I did the activities with the clients with general MR, downs etc it was really hard because I had to look fun and animate my voice and be outgoing which I can't do to save my life.
I'd like to work with autistic people and I want to be a learning support assistant at a highschool and chances are I would have the chance to work with an ASD-er.

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 4:09 pm

As a health care professional in the neurological field, I have the opportunity to work with many children and adults on the spectrum. I enjoy it immensely and the kids like it that I seem to "click" with them, even the non-verbal ones.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu