Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

whats more important work or your personality?
work 17%  17%  [ 9 ]
work 17%  17%  [ 9 ]
personality 33%  33%  [ 18 ]
personality 33%  33%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 54

edgey123
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Apr 2006, 9:10 pm

Do you think work is more important than your personality?

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2006, 11:20 pm

edgey,

Could you elaborate on that one, please?

I'll try to answer your Q from what I do see here: as I see it, your job is your responsibility. Be there as scheduled and do a good bit of work when on the employer's premises. Get along with the staff and the management and don't allow friends and family to call you there unless there is an emergency. Conflicts are a fact of life in any workplace and they have to be resolved in the most civil way possible.

OTOH you have your own life when not in the employer's jurisdiction. Your shift is over, you punch out your time card, and once you leave the employer's property, the same has no say whatsoever as to whatever you are up to in your personal interests.

Back at the workplace, some colleagues will like you for what you are, some will dislike you, and some will be neutral about it all. That's just the way it is.

YOU are the captain of your own ship :wink:

Be yourself no matter what they say

**Sting, Englishman In New York

edgey123
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2006, 8:59 am

What I meant was do you think work defines who you are?

Many people tell me about their jobs but I think "What's that got to do with me?" Are theses people hinting that I should get a job like them or are they saying I don't work hard enough?

I wonder whether them telling me about their jobs is some way of making me feel guilty. :oops:

Thanks for the reply! :)

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2006, 10:45 am

So far it's a completely one-sided vote, with 100% votes for personality. Including my vote.

Why should we compromise our personalities - who we are - just for an employer? I have strong feelings on this one because of one employer in particular who was bent on making me subsume myself, my whole life and even my whole soul to the company (i.e. to him).

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2006, 7:05 pm

Keeno wrote:
Why should we compromise our personalities - who we are - just for an employer? I have strong feelings on this one because of one employer in particular who was bent on making me subsume myself, my whole life and even my whole soul to the company (i.e. to him).

I did work for an employer like that in the past. When you were employed by them, you didn't have a personal life let alone any personal needs. Being employed by them was like being part of a religious cult. Nice try on their part :wink:

Be yourself no matter what they say

**Sting, Englishman In New York

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2006, 11:19 am

I'd say personality, on the basis that we need to preserve those with a personality as many people don't seem to have one these days, most people are shallow or follow others like lost puppies, so the persona is by far more important.

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2006, 11:51 am

Fiz wrote:
I'd say personality, on the basis that we need to preserve those with a personality as many people don't seem to have one these days, most people are shallow or follow others like lost puppies, so the persona is by far more important.

Yes I agree with you and everyone needs to be themselves and not lose who they are. Personality I think is more important than work because not everyone wants to become mindless people with no personality at all.

lunatix
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Apr 2006, 9:29 pm

If you do not have an occupation which benifits humanity, no matter how small, you are no better than vermin. You are then a simple waste of resources - a vacuum of time and energy. You are an anathema to all of the laboring people ceaselessly performing their duties.

Mordy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2006, 9:15 pm

lunatix wrote:
If you do not have an occupation which benifits humanity, no matter how small, you are no better than vermin. You are then a simple waste of resources - a vacuum of time and energy. You are an anathema to all of the laboring people ceaselessly performing their duties.

So I guess that would put many rich people at the top of the list. I always wondered how anyone could live so extravagantly when people are dying and their are millions of poor people that need help in their own countries.

Ninki
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 May 2006, 3:04 pm

I've never liked the fact that most people will ask what you do for a living, like that defines me as a person? I never ask people that question because to me it's irrelevant.

N.

~Ludwig van Beethoven

ion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 May 2006, 7:12 pm

Your personality is more important.
That's all you have, really. A job is optional.
That's just someone paying you money for performing a service.
The only thing that counts is if you perform that service or not.
Your personality, looks, religion, race, sex, have nothing to do with it, unless they make you unable to perform that specific service.

Ninki wrote:
I've never liked the fact that most people will ask what you do for a living, like that defines me as a person? I never ask people that question because to me it's irrelevant.
N.

Just tell them you don't live... ;)

mielikki
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 May 2006, 12:33 am

My work is more important.
It does define who I am. I really don't have much of a "personality", or at least not one that I am really interested in.

natalia
Raven
Raven

16 Jun 2006, 9:37 pm

i voted work, but only because sometimes you have to adapt your personality in order to make a decent effort at doing your job.

personal example: i am kind of lazy and chaotic and i prefer to live in leisure and chaos... but i owe it to my students to get their papers back to them and post their grades and things like that. i am also creative and appreciate if they see things from odd perspectives, so some parts of one help with the other.

also the thing i teach (foreign languages) is also my main special interest and i hope many other people are able to find jobs that are fun for them like that, where it's sort of all connected: personality with work.