You know what would be an awesome job to have?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

galvatron
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Mar 2011, 3:04 pm

Being a hiring manager!
Why? Because you can get paid to NEVER EVER ACTUALLY COME INTO WORK! Wouldn't that be great?!

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 3:05 pm

astronaut cowboy millionaire.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 3:43 pm

I think a lot of autistics would be happy to be the guy who preps walls for painters--doing boring stuff like filling holes, day after day.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 5:00 pm

galvatron wrote:
Being a hiring manager!
Why? Because you can get paid to NEVER EVER ACTUALLY COME INTO WORK! Wouldn't that be great?!

Now that you mention it, it's true. A few years back, every time I inquired about a job, I was told the manager that does the hiring wasn't there, on vacation, doesn't work Monday's (this week), is only there in the mornings, or on a break.

I once managed to annoy one of the employees into telling me where he was on his break, chased him down, and wouldn't leave until he gave me an interview.

I didn't get the job.

sandrana
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2011, 7:08 pm

BTDT wrote:
I think a lot of autistics would be happy to be the guy who preps walls for painters--doing boring stuff like filling holes, day after day.

I would love this. I used to read a lot of Charles Bukowski, one of his characters worked in a dog food factory. For years I thought this would be a great job. Good old predictible drudgery...

cammyyy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Mar 2011, 10:26 pm

The army would be really awesome, but they aren't hiring for the trades I want.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 12:42 am

i'd love to be an audio restoration technician, doing the job my way.

riverspark
Toucan
Toucan

17 Mar 2011, 3:38 pm

I really loved the part-time job I had as a student at the first uni I went to. I was assisting with a research project by sorting benthic macroinvertebrates (bugs and little critters that live in rivers and lakes) under a microscope and taking pictures of them with a special computer camera attached to the microscope. Those just happen to be one of my special interests. I worked by myself, sorting those little things for hours and hours at a time. One of the professors in charge said that most people hate that job. I adored it. It was calm and predictable, and to me it wasn't boring at all. The 300th amphipod or mayfly I counted was just as interesting to me as the first one.

Sometimes I would make a mistake, but nobody ever yelled at me or got upset. They would just calmly explain what I did wrong and why, tell me how to keep from doing it again, and say, "Please do not do this in the future." And I would thank them and then not make the mistake ever again.

Oh, how I loved that job. They would have let me keep it the rest of the time I was at that uni. Unfortunately, I had to transfer to another school, so I couldn't continue. I could definitely do a job like that full-time for the rest of my life.

I recently visited that uni town and ran into the two professors and postgrad who were my bosses, and they were very happy to see me. I told them how much I missed the job. They missed me as well. I hope I can find another job like that someday.