Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ZooZoo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2011, 9:44 am

hi all,

i was wondering if there is a list of jobs that people who have aspergers cant do. i dont mean jobs that some aspies might struggle with, i mean jobs where aspergers means you shouldnt even bother to apply. ive heard that aspies cant apply for the army, is that true? and if so what about other thing, police, fireservice, etc?

especially interested in if you can be an aspie fireman.

thanks,

ZooZoo

Last edited by ZooZoo on 07 Mar 2011, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 12:26 pm

I see no reason why you couldn't be a fireman. You do need to expect some hazing at first and you need to remain cool about it.
Policeman I would doubt. You would be dealing on a daily basis with the worst of humans and people under deep stress. You need to have a "people" sense.

Mack27
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2011, 1:02 pm

I was in the military before my diagnosis and I'm certain I wasn't the only one there. Aspies can thrive in the military, especially in highly technical roles. But now they don't let people diagnosed with ASD enlist. If I had an aspie child I might hold off on getting an official diagnosis and just work with a recommended diagnosis to keep the child's options more open.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 1:55 pm

I'd guess Public Speaking and High Stress/Social Jobs

ZooZoo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2011, 2:17 pm

i know what you mean about the army, it seems like an aspies dream job. they practically force the aspie into people. i know a lot of army/ex-army and they are definately not as nt as the general populus after finishing. was also wondering now they dont let aspies join, what if youve got a guy, been in the army twenty years, done really good, got some medals and a good rank, and then he gets diagnosed? do theysay, oh sorry, we were mistaken, your diagnoses shows that you cant cope with army life so we'll have to fire you now? seems a bit ridiculus.

i would never be a policeman, sounds awful, who'd want to have drunkards swearing at them and throwing up on their shoes for a living?

fireman however, its my dream job, ive read up on all the application process, fitness tests, training, etc, but cant find anything saying wether i am eligible with a diagnosis. there was a bit on mental disabilities preventing entry but it didnt actually give any examples.

are there any aspie firemen out there?

and are there other jobs like the army where aspies are disqualified from entry?

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 2:36 pm

ZooZoo wrote:
i know what you mean about the army, it seems like an aspies dream job. they practically force the aspie into people. i know a lot of army/ex-army and they are definately not as nt as the general populus after finishing. was also wondering now they dont let aspies join, what if youve got a guy, been in the army twenty years, done really good, got some medals and a good rank, and then he gets diagnosed? do theysay, oh sorry, we were mistaken, your diagnoses shows that you cant cope with army life so we'll have to fire you now? seems a bit ridiculus.

i would never be a policeman, sounds awful, who'd want to have drunkards swearing at them and throwing up on their shoes for a living?

fireman however, its my dream job, ive read up on all the application process, fitness tests, training, etc, but cant find anything saying wether i am eligible with a diagnosis. there was a bit on mental disabilities preventing entry but it didnt actually give any examples.

are there any aspie firemen out there?

and are there other jobs like the army where aspies are disqualified from entry?

I can only understand them rejecting an aspie if they have seizures, toe walking or communication issues as a few examples. But a fully functioning aspie would probably thrive in the military.

ZooZoo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Mar 2011, 5:47 pm

Peko wrote:

I can only understand them rejecting an aspie if they have seizures, toe walking or communication issues as a few examples. But a fully functioning aspie would probably thrive in the military.

my thoughts exactly, it doesnt make sense :?