Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 7:31 am

I wanted to throw this against the wall to see if anyone has experience here. As of right now I'm with an AP auditing company and in my particular region of the US we aren't gaining enough contracts to keep ourselves busy and we've been overstaffed for as long as I can remember.

I've done some soul searching, including talking to someone who's both a psychologist well versed in ASDs and also who's the head of his own employment consulting group. I did take some tests which lead me right back to accounting. The reason I've decided that I really wish to chase the international route - I've been studying Spanish and realize that I enjoy foreign languages a great deal. As of right now I have a BBA in accounting, four years experience with auditing and collections, and I do realize that I'll likely want to start - with a multinational company - in a different spot. As far as I know international business often prefers an MBA, which I'm more than happy to go for but I'd also like to have a job with a company who can make use of such a degree before I start working on it rather than price myself out of the job market.

My question is really this: for anyone who's done international accounting, what's the usual matter of course from being where I'm at to being in the door and speaking with - say - Latin/South America? If I get in with a company who is a multinational as such, what are some spots that are more likely for promotion as such rather than just being stuck in a broom closet and kept there? For instance I tend to think of accounts payable and accounts receivable positions as clerk positions, which may or may not seem like the most motivated staff and if I were trying to request a transfer into international from there I'm not sure what kind of response I'd get. Is GL a better place to start? Are there any additional do's and don'ts you can think of that will help in keeping me on the right path? Also are there any specific multinationals who you'd highly recommend? Mind you my aspie issues are pretty manageable and unless I'm dealing with some very overbearing personalities I can do pretty well with coworkers. My biggest concern really is training and finding a company who will give me the tools I need to teach myself how to do the job right.

Any takers?

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin