We need help spreading the word...

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

jcoment
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jun 2011, 10:03 pm

Hey Everyone,

Yep, Newbie here! But I have a project I am working on that could use your help. I recently came across your website and was impressed with your efforts and discussions in assisting those with disabilities. I am in the process of starting a project here in Florida, USA that will hopefully change the worlds view on hiring adults with disabilities…

I have a company I launched last Monday the 13th called Carbon Crafters, Inc. This company is a composite manufacturing company that I plan to use as a platform to release a wide variety of innovative carbon fiber products. (One of which, will create a whole new market segment in the RV and Boating industries) While carbon fiber is a cutting edge material and the products we will ultimately produce are going to be high tech, the most exciting aspect will be the fact that we are devoted to having our workforce primarily made up of adults with disabilities. A good friend of mine is a Job Coach for an adults with disabilities class here in Pasco County Florida and she has 40+ students that they have not been able to find employment for. We started this past week on a fund raising effort to get this project off the ground and hope to have the company ready by the time the adults with disabilities classes start back up again in August. We even plan to work with one of the Pasco county school media directors to film a documentary about the entire process. Below is a link to our RocketHub Fund raising effort and a link to our website. I would really appreciate your input and help in spreading the word about our plan…

Since I cannot post links until the 5th day or membership, the only thing I can suggest is search for our company Carbon Crafters and on our main page there is a Rocket Hub logo link. Next week we will be able to post more info and links here...

Thanks,
Jason Coment
Carbon Crafters, Inc.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 10:16 pm

I smell spam...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

jcoment
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jun 2011, 10:26 pm

Sorry Fnord, I just figured if we are going to spread the word about our efforts then this would be a great place to do so. If you have any questions or concerns please let me know. We are absolutely open and receptive to everyone's help or suggestions... Just trying to get something going in our own back yard... Thanks :)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2011, 10:35 pm

That's up to the mods to decide.

You did get their permission to advertise here, didn't you?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

jcoment
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jun 2011, 10:44 pm

Yep, We emailed Alex the site owner and let him know of our post since we did not see any other way to get pre-approval...

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 5:32 am

Sounds great. Good luck with the project. Please write again when the documentary is ready so I can take a look. I love cinema.

jcoment
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jun 2011, 7:56 am

Absolutely Ilka! Thanks for the Support!

nicknottaken
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jun 2011, 8:58 am

If you were advertising jobs this would be great. But you want 75 000 USD!!

If, this is legit, which I don't know. What do you want to accomplish here? Personally I think this is the wrong place to fund-raise for this project. You say you want us to spread the word, but how do we know how legit or even serious this is?

ADMIN: Can you please look into this?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 9:04 am

I've reported this to the mods.

jcoment
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jun 2011, 9:27 am

Hey Nicknottaken,

My intent in posting information about Carbon Crafters here are WrongPlanet.net is not to simply fund raise. I understand that in today's world, you continually have to question people's motives and missions. However, our intent is honest and real. Since this section of the forum is about Autism and Asperger's in relation to the current job market. I figured it would be a great place to illustrate our efforts in starting a company that is devoted to hiring a wide range of adults with disabilities for a majority of it's workforce. We would love to hire 100% but you know as well as we do that vocational rehab groups and organizations in our area would frown upon that due to the fact that it would simply become an enclave of adults with disabilities. There are other companies all over the world that have made great strides in hiring for adults with disabilities and we are simply trying to become another example of that. With the nature of our products we feel we have a great chance at pushing it to new levels...

Look, I didn't post a message here to step on anyone's toes or ruffle any feathers and I certainly didn't come here to get your money. I simply felt it would be a great place to possibly get the word out about or efforts and maybe even network with others around the country. We are starting to get some great feed back from educational and government groups and figured that forums like this would be the next step in spreading the word...

Thanks,
Jason Coment
Carbon Crafters, Inc.

jcoment
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jun 2011, 8:55 am

OK, this is cool! We have been talking to a lot of people lately about our company and what we hope to do. Well, through those talks we came up with the idea of implementing a Profit Sharing plan. After some initial research we found it's not too difficult to setup and could inspire our potential employees to come up with their own social entrepreneurial projects! Stay Tuned!

You see that is why we posted here and many other places... to get the creative juices flowing and generate ideas that we never could have on our own!

Thanks,
Jason

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 12:49 pm

I was not aware that the bird is the word.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 5:08 pm

A few things to understand about why you seem to have stepped on a few toes here:

1) I realize you don't seem to be counting people with AS as part of the population you are hoping to serve but, if you were, it would be worth noting that most of our members don't see themselves as disabled. Instead, AS is more about being different in a way the world does not seem to want to adapt to. AS being less the issue than the world and how it treats people with AS. With the right situation and understanding, these are people capable of performing brilliantly, of being true assets. The want is for that right situation, not the ability.

2) Most of the members on this part of the forum are struggling to find work that respects their talents, while not messing with their sensory issues or providing unbearable social stress. Many here are unemployed or underemployed as a result. I don't see anything in your posts that indicates an understanding of the struggles of the population you've chosen to address, or to indicate you know such struggles exist.

3) People who can't find jobs that work for them are about the last people able to fund a venture. This part of the forum is about helping people figure out to interview despite being very uncomfortable doing so, dealing with the nuts and bolts of sending out job applications, and so forth; I'm not sure how reading about your venture helps there, or how you expected to find donors in the midst of it.

4) Growing up with AS leaves someone pretty vulnerable to bullying and being taken advantage of. You can't walk up to someone with that history and believe a happy sales pitch will work. It shouldn't, and it won't. Experience demands extreme skepticism.

I am glad that many companies are learning it is to mutual benefit to challenge conventional hiring practices and look towards traditionally under-employed populations for personnel. But you can't just decide to hire people labeled "disabled" without giving thought to exactly which disabilities - and abilities - the unique work environment will suit best. Somewhere, I would assume, you must have done that ... I think that is the information you would find more members interested in. Show this board that you have some inkling of what an adult with AS goes through looking for stable employment, and what his needs might be.

Sorry for being harsh, but you won't get far with what you say are the goals of your venture if you don't understand the populations you are pitching to. The way you splashed in here seemed a lot like a leap without seeing the nature of the water first.

I do love your enthusiasm for your venture and wish you much success with it, but I'm not seeing why you think it would interest this population. On that, you haven't made your case.

jcoment
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jun 2011, 7:49 am

Hey DWamom,

Thanks for the response, but once again I did not come here with fund raising efforts in mind. If you look at my original post it is titled "We need help spreading the word..." and the only thing I really asked of this community was "I would really appreciate your input and help in spreading the word about our plan…" I was hoping that members of this community would see the value in what we are trying to accomplish and provide input and questions concerning how we plan to accomplish our lofty goals. An open forum of discussion is the best way to fine tune an idea or plan, that's how the profit sharing plan came about and that's what I was hoping to accomplish here.

We are not limiting ourselves to working with anyone with certain disabilities or conditions... It simply comes down to the applications we receive and students our job coaches are already working with. We will have seven different job types; Administration and Clerical, Design, Manufacturing, Assembly, Shipping and Logistical. So, if anyone has any suggestions, comments or questions about our planned work environment, please chime in... If we can identify potential problems and or conflicts with the needs of other employees at this stage, we will be better prepared when it comes time to implement policy.

Thanks Again,
Jason