Where in the UK can I get employment without competition?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Gutcruncher
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jul 2011, 9:03 pm

I cannot compete in the jobs marketplace, as someone cursed with AS, I am considered lowest of the low, the untouchable caste.

I need suggestions to how to go about getting employment without having to compete with people, if there is competition involved, I will always come last.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 9:44 pm

What do you love to do?

Negolin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jul 2011, 10:41 pm

are you goal oriented?

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 12:32 am

Gutcruncher wrote:
I cannot compete in the jobs marketplace, as someone cursed with AS, I am considered lowest of the low, the untouchable caste.

I need suggestions to how to go about getting employment without having to compete with people, if there is competition involved, I will always come last.

I suspect your attitude is to blame for your results, not your AS. That said, think about what you're passionate about, and then try and come up with a way to monetize it.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 2:05 am

What you need to do is to consider what your skill set includes, then try to match that skill set to a profession.

For argument's sake if you have a good head for heights and do not mind being far above the ground then consider working as a steeplejack or a scafolder. You may need to take a course to get the license required to put up scafolding. If you get a skill like this then you could go and work in the building trade, you would have to work with other people around.

You would need to practise getting on with other people, you do not need to like your coworkers but you just need to get on with them. I suspect that a building site could be a bit of a rough place with vulgar jokes and mean jokes but my experience from working as a factory labourer is that if you keep yourself to yourself AND never try to act as if you are something better than the rest of the work force then they tend to leave you alone.

What angered the factory workers most was a pair of 16 year old boys who thought that they were men of the world who were better than everyone else. These two were targets for a lot of jokes and some verbal abuse. I would say that in that environment it is better to be the grey man.

I worked in one factory where there was one NT who was the herd leader, he did not like me as I was a student until he saw that I was willing to kunckle down and work hard like the rest of the factory. I think that at that point he tolerated me and viewed me as just another member of staff in the factory.

As a general warning to young aspies I would like to point out that sitting around the house on facebook or playing video games might be fun but it is unlikely IMHO to provide you with the skills that you will need for work. For the hypothetical scafolder a better training would be rock climbing, climbing trees and the like.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 3:55 am

It's impossible to get a job without any competition. The demand for jobs is high while the supply is low. Even if you go for an obscure or low paid job, you will have competition.

That said, don't let it get you down. If you think that stuff about yourself you'll never achieve anything.

Gutcruncher

17 Jul 2011, 7:47 am

It doesn't matter what I like doing as leisure, or like doing in terms of something more suited to work, or want to do as a job: It is the employer would decides which jobs you have. I have spoken to a woman from Adecco for example, she said people like you (AS sufferers) are as bad in employers eyes as nonces and druggies, go away, bad. As the employer is the gatekeeper, not you, you have to like I have apply for anything and everything, as someone who is considered part of the üntermensch. I need to be able to get employment without competition.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 9:32 am

It does matter what you like doing as leisure. You are probably good at it and motivated at it and you can carve your own niche in it. You don't have to try to fit yourself into the existing corporate structure. It's built mostly by and for NTs. You could be your own boss in any number of ways.

Gutcruncher

17 Jul 2011, 10:28 am

If I was self employed I would go from income (benefits) to negative income (no income, and increasing overdraft/debt). So that is financial suicide. How would I be self employed if I have no friends and no social contacts and can't use a phone and never leave the house? I don't have any contacts and no means of paying for new training/qualifications in skills to sell.

Gutcruncher

17 Jul 2011, 10:29 am

Being employed in a job is what is required I cannot cope with the stress of self employment I would not know what to do I have no skills to sell or no means of affording new skills to sell and I could not organise myself I cannot open normal bills and letters too stressful.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 3:14 pm

Some self-employed pursuits that don't require all that stressful bureaucratic nonsense:

writer
musician
artist (painter, woodcarver, postcard-maker, etc.)
small fruit and vegetable stand owner (where I live anyway these are common, roadside stands at people's houses that at the very most could only require a simple business license)
furniture maker
dogwalker/petsitter (done this on occasion)
tutor
home aide to an elderly or disabled person

Some of these might require training but you could get the training from one person informally. If you wanted to learn to garden, for example, you could contact a natural society for info or ask if anyone has any relatives/friends who are farmers and could show you the basics.

So what do you love doing? That's why I wanted to know, I think you can make a career out of it!

Kirsty_84
Raven
Raven

18 Jul 2011, 8:59 am

This guy is still asking the same questions he posted on the BBC Ouch board (now closed). He wants everything handing to him. There were multiple threads started by him, hundreds of posts yet he keeps on asking the same things about employment.

Gutcruncher - you got a small proofreading job from the Ouch board, is doing more of that not an option?

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 6:27 pm

I highly doubt he wants everything handed to him. He just wants a job. I had a proofreading job that I couldn't keep due to depression. Being AS in an NT-ruled corporate world is very difficult.

It's a testament to how much he wants a job that he has persisted for so long in trying to get one.

Kirsty_84
Raven
Raven

19 Jul 2011, 7:58 am

purchase wrote:
I highly doubt he wants everything handed to him. He just wants a job. I had a proofreading job that I couldn't keep due to depression. Being AS in an NT-ruled corporate world is very difficult.

It's a testament to how much he wants a job that he has persisted for so long in trying to get one.

He won't apply for anything, he won't try and get on a course, or even ask about a course, he won't visit the job centre, he won't ask family/friends, he disregards every piece of advice, he has said previously that he will only work alone, he won't join any kind of help scheme because they apparently treat him like a "druggie" or has down's syndrome (he didn't use the words down's syndrome, he used a horrible word which was completely derogatory). He has given up really, and I can empathise because employers DO treat us like s**t sometimes but we should persevere. A lot of people on another board have told him that his bad attitude is letting him down and I agree with them.

Jane43
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jul 2011, 9:15 am

Perhaps Gutcruncher should call his local ASD support office. There is probably a place that helps Aspies and their families. Maybe they can help him get a placement with an employer who is willing to try him out. Sort of like blind people going through the Blind institute to help them get placed.

Gutcruncher

19 Jul 2011, 7:31 pm

Kirsty_84 wrote:
He won't apply for anything

I do nothing by apply for things, constantly. It's almost an obsession.

Quote:
he won't try and get on a course, or even ask about a course
HOW
DO
I
AFFORD
A
COURSE?

I would have done "a course" years ago if I could. If you have level 3 qualifications (e.g. A-levels) or more you don't get ANY funding for courses even if you are out of work. Admittedly, I couldn't function in a classroom environment at all, I've never been able to, but I'd love to learn more. And, no, the bloody Open University isn't "free" either.

Quote:
he won't visit the job centre
They either harass/bully you, or patronisingly make you write a CV for the nth time as if you are illiterate, or both. They offer NO recognition of, support for, or understanding of, AS. Job Centre is the last place I'd want to go after my horrific experiences of them in the past.

Quote:
he won't ask family/friends
Don't have friends, family don't care.

Quote:
A lot of people on another board have told him that his bad attitude is letting him down and I agree with them.
I never get as far as meeting potential employers, no interviews, nothing. They do not meet me, and couldn't know if I have a "bad attitude" or not.