Anyone have problems Finding & then keeping a job

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Nick9075
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2011, 10:39 pm

I am 36 years old and have been unemployed for close to two years which just scattered temp assignments from Nov 2010 - Aug 2011. Now nothing :(

Don't even really have courage to apply to jobs. My interview skills I don't think are that great. I always hear, you had good skills but they hired someone stronger.

I am in Accounting & worked in financial services which I found stressful. Has anyone started over at this age?? I am going to therapy. therapist thinks I have 'alot of issues' which he thinks I need to address before seeking employment. I have a BA & MS degree and don't want to throw my life away

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 12:20 am

I have always had a hard time finding a job but never had a problem with keeping one.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 3:14 am

welcome to the club, nick9075 :)
the only middle-class job i ever managed to rate, was as a civil servant in a military hospital. i only got hired because everybody else quit and they needed a body in there. that i worked in an army hospital before was a plus but not the clincher. other than this, i was in the army for 4 years [too long] and before that i had a series of mcjobs from which i got laid off of each, either because they went belly-up or because i wasn't fast enough. in those mcjobs i invariably found other people who were uber-qualified [at least a few had bachelor's degrees or higher] but during the reagan and bush sr. recessions there were insufficient jobs to be had even for well-educated [but socially less apt] folk.
the one thing i learnt, was that it is not enough to be well-educated, one must also be streetsmart and socially keen- if one is that way, an employer will more often than not be willing to train you on the job if you lack the exact credentials. i've seen many such folk get hired to do the job i spent 4 years getting the hang of in the military [operating room tech/central material supply tech]- folk whose only experience was maybe a few months as a nurses's aide. but i was tasked to train 'em how to do my job. they eventually replaced me.