Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2006, 1:21 pm

... a website that tells you how much you would make as a salary for any specific job? There's three jobs I'm deeply considering doing with my life (I'm seventeen right now) and I want to choose the one I'd make the most money with. The jobs are being a marketing executive, a real estate broker, or a lawyer. I need to know what the salary would be for Indiana. I've already looked but I can't find anything on it. So does anyone know of any websites where I can find this sort of information? Thanks!

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2006, 1:32 pm

I think factors such as "character" and "talent" might have an influence. Which one would make you the easiest money?

In terms of money I'd say law and real estate would be better than marketing, but that IS a guess. However, in terms of working environment I'd rate marketing top, then real estate, and then law. That makes real estate the best bet overall, if you have a talent for it.

The only other thing is job security. Marketing and real estate are both heavily dependent on economic success. Lawyers will always be in demand, indeed they are probably MORE in demand in times of stress for the population at large.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2006, 2:01 pm

As far as I know, I'd be really good at all three. I'd be equally happy with them and what ever I end up with, but I want the one that would pay the most. We actually live next door to two attourneys, but my mom alone is making more than both of them combined (she's a CPA and a mall manager and is doing very well in the stock market). Right now, I'm probably leaning a little bit more toward real estate broker, especially after I went to the Parade of Homes over the weekend.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2006, 2:28 pm

FYI...the realestate market is very risky right now.It is believed that housing market may encounter something similiar to the internet bubble bust that happened several years ago.That being said,if you know what your doing there are always going to be people who can "make a killing" on other peoples adversity.There are a lot of people who are financially over extended.The cost of living has risen but middle class wages are stagnent.Because of this,many people have morgaged their houses to take out loans.When the value of their house goes down the loan payments will increase and many will end up losing their houses.(houses they were incouraged to buy with GW Bushes push for private ownership).
As more middle class jobs are out sourced and replaced by lowpaying "service" jobs",more people will be forced to sell their houses for less money and the flooding of the market will decrease the prices of the houses.Theoretically,that would be the time to buy(buy low sell high)The only issue is....will their be
enough "middle class" jobs that allow people to afford the houses?Dont know.As long as GW Bush is in office protecting the "privledged" over the need of the lower and middle class...I doubt it...I think it is "class warfare"....but I am crazy as a bedbug....so,nevermind.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2006, 3:34 pm

Oh Lad, stay away from Real Estate, unless you want yer heart broken. (Sounds like a song title). I'm an assistant to a Real Estate Agent/Loan Officer and it's feast or famine. Right now here in the Southwest, it's dead-dog slow. The main problem with Real Estate is that the license is too easy to get, so there are waaaaaayyyyy too many people out there with a license and little else. You spend your first three or four years in the business doing everything you can to build a client-base, and most people starve out during that time. Plus, it's very cut-throat. My boss has recently had two would-be clients go to another agent after he spent time outlining a sales strategy for their home. Plus every scoundrel has an advertising gimmick to sell, none of which attract clients. Even during the best of times, which it's not right now, it's still weekends and evenings, and angry sellers because their house didn't sell in two weeks, and other agents calling your clients trying to steal a listing, and on and on ...

Do get some respectable employment instead, like used car sales, or undertaker...

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2006, 5:46 pm

Sounds like Prof is talking about sales. Prices in housing are starting to collapse nationally so no wonder he doesn't like his job. :lol: I think it's a buyer's market, baby, and once I get my first big paycheck that covers my bills and living expenses, I'm throwing a quarter of what I left in the stock market and the other quarter in tangible investments like real estate and precious metals. Actually, I've already started buying up silver and have around $250 dollars worth of coins and rounds already.

About land, you've got to know where to purchase. That requires thinking long term. Read up on a guy named John Jacob Astor. I won't tell you where I'm looking at, though...lol

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2006, 6:19 pm

Try geology. They're starting out at $74,400 a year right now--and that's with only a bachelor's degree.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2006, 7:07 pm

Lightning88 wrote:
There's three jobs I'm deeply considering doing with my life (I'm seventeen right now) and I want to choose the one I'd make the most money with. The jobs are being a marketing executive, a real estate broker, or a lawyer.

I wouldn't make the salary your top priority. Is being a marketing executive, a real estate broker, or a lawyer something you would enjoy doing for years on end, day after day? If not enjoy, then at least be able to deal with it. If it sounds like something you would struggle with, I would forget about the money aspect of it, and find something you would actually like, even if it makes less money. After all, money is just pieces of paper with numbers on them; your job will take up eight hours each day for most of your life. While it's somewhat easy to adjust to living on a little less money, spending eight hours each day somewhere you hate will be intolerable. It was like that in school, so I want my working life to be at least pleasantly tolerable.