Why am I not even getting rejection letters?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jinto1986
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2012, 6:18 pm

Over the past couple months I have tried finding jobs at a ton of places. Many of these jobs are only asking candidates to have a high school diploma, occasionally slightly more. I have a Master's degree in special education, I am just not certified. So why can I not get a special education job, or even get an interview or rejection letter for a job? Why do they seem to always leave me squirming hoping that they will give me a job offer, but never actually doing so. If they aren't going to hire me, just tell me so so I can move onto other jobs (especially considering I have to move out of my current place in less than a month), it is really frustrating not to hear back from them.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 6:35 pm

jinto1986 wrote:
Over the past couple months I have tried finding jobs at a ton of places. Many of these jobs are only asking candidates to have a high school diploma, occasionally slightly more. I have a Master's degree in special education, I am just not certified. So why can I not get a special education job, or even get an interview or rejection letter for a job? Why do they seem to always leave me squirming hoping that they will give me a job offer, but never actually doing so. If they aren't going to hire me, just tell me so so I can move onto other jobs (especially considering I have to move out of my current place in less than a month), it is really frustrating not to hear back from them.

Take the first job that comes along, when a better one comes along take it without explanation to anyone. It's a jerk move, but we live in crappy employment times.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 6:50 pm

What does it take to become certified?

taxman
Raven
Raven

08 Jun 2012, 7:01 pm

Unfortunately, it has become commonplace for employers to not even contact rejected candidates, sometimes even those who were called in for an interview. Generally you just have to move on if you haven't heard anything after a couple of months.

jinto1986
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2012, 7:13 pm

shrox wrote:
jinto1986 wrote:

Take the first job that comes along, when a better one comes along take it without explanation to anyone. It's a jerk move, but we live in crappy employment times.

I have around $700 a month in student loans, and I already have a job that could be decent if I could get enough hours... I am not willing to move for nothing :-/

jinto1986
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2012, 7:15 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
What does it take to become certified?

I have to complete student teaching. Sadly, the two times I tried the teachers basically failed me for being autistic (and basically admitted as much). I would practically have to sue to try again... and that would cost a lot of money I don't have (even when/if I am successful). Some of these schools are willing to hire non-certified teachers, so I am hoping I can get a teaching job if I prove myself.

jinto1986
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2012, 7:17 pm

taxman wrote:
Unfortunately, it has become commonplace for employers to not even contact rejected candidates, sometimes even those who were called in for an interview. Generally you just have to move on if you haven't heard anything after a couple of months.

I sadly don't have months, more like weeks if that to get a job. I wanted a job by now so I could give my current client a months notice... I don't think that will happen anymore.

jinto1986
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2012, 9:22 pm

taxman wrote:

P.S. On second thought, the better question might be, why am I not getting that job interview. Generally in the interview I am articulate and intelligent enough impress one enough to get a job (keeping it sometimes is another matter), but if I don't get that far I am in trouble.

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2012, 9:53 am

Many employers state on the job details/ auto response email that if you don't here from them within 6 weeks you haven't got the job.

Since most applications are through online systems, it would seem easy to automatically email the rejected candidates with a simple message (at no cost to the company), unfortunately most HR departments lack the courtesy to do so.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 6:14 pm

Although you have a Master's, you didn't mention anything about the amount of experience that you have. I've been told that experience is much more important than the degree for those who hire you. Having experience means that you actually know how to execute the necessary skills and can thus be counted on to do a good job with minimal training. University in particular mostly provides you with the theories, so you also need the practice part of it.

Another thing to consider is whether you really know how to write resumes and do interviews. I've met someone who was confident that she could write resumes, but I've tried writing my resume like she did and didn't get any offers from anyone that way. When I went to a resume writing workshop and implemented the strategies I've learned there, the right people actually began considering me. You have to be as detailed as possible in both your resume and cover letter. Bring up your skills and assets and then back them up with evidence from your past work experience. List all of your educational awards and describe a project you have completed at the university that was relevant to your job, whether it be an essay, a presentation, a study, etc. And you need to show that you are really excited to get the position at hand.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

jinto1986
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jun 2012, 8:06 pm

In this field I have a variety of internships, about a year working respite/hab, and I worked at a summer camp for kids with special needs. Not a ton of experience, but about as much as anyone willing to take a job that only makes 22K a year would have.

As for my resumes, I have had them reviewed by peer review people at two colleges, parents, co-workers, etc. I have also done a variety of resume writing workshops. Trust me, there is no problem with my resume or someone would have told me a long time ago. Educational awards I have a hard time with (undergrad GPA wasn't high enough, graduate school didn't offer any award, so that basically leaves me with what I know is pointless, though I list it anyway). I do mention my past projects though in the form of the orginal resesarch study I did. Trust me, very few of your comments seem applicable.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 4:38 pm

taxman wrote:

tell me about it, geeze, not getting a response back after submitting a job application/resume is one thing, but not getting a response back after an interview is another, and even when you take charge, initiative to follow up with them, call them back, they still never respond

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Sep 2012, 5:36 pm

Lots of places accept applications even thou they aren't currently hiring. They keep em on file till they get old just incase they do hire. Sometimes they also do interviews for that reason.. I also been told from a few places when I called to check on the status of my app that they get soo many applications they don't get around to checking them all & one guy sounded shocked when i asked & said we get thousands of applicants & I don't have time to look through them all

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 7:29 pm

WantToHaveALife wrote:
tell me about it, geeze, not getting a response back after submitting a job application/resume is one thing, but not getting a response back after an interview is another, and even when you take charge, initiative to follow up with them, call them back, they still never respond

A career counselor once made a promise that he would help me get an interview with a company. He asked me to call him back and promised he would have an answer to my query. I left 8 F*$@#ING phone messages for the guy and he STILL never had the courtesy to reply. Yes, I was pretty desperate but after 3 messages he could have at least told me to get lost. Why can't people just say 'thanks but no'. Am I the only person in the world with manners?

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 9:49 pm

Assuming your in America, in most places you need a license to teach. I'm surprised special ed jobs are even interviewing you considering your not certified to teach.

One of my friends came within a day of loosing a job offer because the state messed up in sending her licensing documents.

I would suggest meeting with a college disability office and seeing if they can help get you through student teaching or you'll need to look for TA Jobs and such that don't require licensing.

But then again, having a Masters and not a license to teach is a huge red flag to employers.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 3:56 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:

A career counselor once made a promise that he would help me get an interview with a company. He asked me to call him back and promised he would have an answer to my query. I left 8 F*$@#ING phone messages for the guy and he STILL never had the courtesy to reply. Yes, I was pretty desperate but after 3 messages he could have at least told me to get lost. Why can't people just say 'thanks but no'. Am I the only person in the world with manners?

yes, like i said!, at least respond back after an interview, but don't have to as much when responding back after an application/resume