Trades another job category to consider....

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

PaintingDiva
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2011, 2:20 pm

This is from John Robison's blog, he may have a link somewhere on this website but he has some great comments about jobs in the trades, anyone in the WP community who works in the trades? What has been your experience?

Quote:
This weekend I finished another excellent book about our economy, and how we might recover from recession. One of the suggestions was that we should become better educated, as a society. To bolster that point, the author talked about college graduation rates, and the limited prospects for non-college-graduates who end up with low paying service jobs.

Where are the trades, in that writer’s mind?

I can just hear the answer now . . . Trades? What are trades?

All too often, writers divide the world of work into “educated and professional” labor performed by college graduates, and “minimum wage service work” performed by the unwashed masses; those of us who did not make it out of college or perhaps even out of high school.

That depiction does a great disservice to our young people as they contemplate their future career paths. For the trades still offer tremendous opportunity, and they are overlooked more and more today.

So what are the trades, you ask? Trades are specialized jobs that are taught by doing. People who work in the trades use both their hands and their minds to reason through problems and produce tangible results. In years past you learned a trade by being an apprentice. Today, you might learn a trade at a trade school, or academy. And some apprentice programs still exist.

Examples of trades are:
Carpenter
Auto, truck, or airplane mechanic
Computer service technician
Medical equipment service technician
Plumber
Electrician
Heavy equipment operator

All of those jobs require substantial skill that is developed through both study and practice, and all have different levels. One starts out at low wages as an apprentice, while masters make as much as most people in “professional” jobs.

The next step up from being a master is to own a small business that employs other tradesmen. Examples are my auto service company, or a local electrical contractor. Owners of successful trade business can make as much or more money than even high-level professionals, like doctors or lawyers.

Yet the path to success does not generally pass through a college and it is often overlooked.

There are three hundred million people here in America. It’s tradesmen who construct the places where we live. Tradesmen bring us the electric power, and the plumbing. Tradesmen fix our cars and trucks. The beauty of the trades is that they are not going anywhere. No one is outsourcing those jobs to India or China.

It’s true that the trades change. The job of fixing cars has changed tremendously over the past twenty years, as has the job of wiring a house or even installing plumbing. But everything changes. We all have to learn and adapt.

In some cases, fewer workers are needed in a given area. Construction trades are a good example of that today. With the housing collapse, we have a surplus of tradesmen who know how to work new construction. Yet we still have jobs in other trades, like auto repair, and we even have jobs for carpenters, plumbers and electricians in repair and maintenance.

I find working on things I can pick up and handle very satisfying. I know many other tradesmen feel the same. I like to fix something, see it work, and know it’s a job well done. That sense of personal connection and satisfaction is missing in all too many jobs today.

Tradesmen keep our world running. When your lights go out, you don't turn to an investment banker for help.

So why are the trades overlooked and dismissed? Maybe it’s time for a second glance . . .

Look Me in the Eye

Nick9075
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2011, 2:51 pm

I am seriously considering this but I alway have a BA degree in 'something else' (Accounting). What school or training program would anyone here suggest here in the northeast USA??

questor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 6:47 pm

I agree with you about the Trades. I am in my 50s now, and on SSI due to a number of health issues. If I had a way to communicate back in time to my younger self of about 20 years old, I would tell my younger self to take better care of myself, and to look into the Trades for a career. I never went to college, because I had such a hard time in school from the other kids, so once I finished high school (barely), I didn't want any part of more school. However, a trade school would have been a good choice. My younger brother who was much worse a student scholastically than I was, (and I was not so great), went on to Denver Automotive College, and graduated. This has always made a deep, and good impression on me. He also took shop in high school, and has made good use of both trades in his personal life. He found auto shop employers would not pay a fair wage to auto school students, and the work is often dangerous, so he stopped doing that, but he works on his cars, and those of other family members. He has also made good use of his shop knowledge in fixing up and later selling at a profit several homes. It also came in handy at one job he had.

Boy, I wish I had gone to a trade school back when I was about 20. I was not really into the scholar track, but a trade would probably have worked for me. I like using my hands, even though I am not very dextrous. I always liked playing with Lego, and earlier, with Lincoln Logs, and train sets. I once correctly assembled a new plant cart without instructions, because there weren't any in the box. After I was done I finally saw the instructions printed right on the outside of the box. :-D I also assembled several bookcases and TV carts made by a company I think is called Sauder. They still make assemble-it-yourself stuff. I also assembled some cedar storage drawers once.

Well, I can't turn back the hands of time, but I would definitely advise young people today to consider the trades. They are cheaper then scholastic colleges, and the training can lead to steady work that can eventually lead to a really decent rate of pay.

Remember, we on the spectrum are all:

A Different Drummer

If a man does not keep pace with his companions,
Perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
Let him step to the music which he hears,
However measured or far away.

--Henry David Thoreau

WhoKnowsWhy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2011, 9:43 pm

In response to a couple things from this article....

JohnElderRobison wrote:
All too often, writers divide the world of work into “educated and professional” labor performed by college graduates, and “minimum wage service work” performed by the unwashed masses; those of us who did not make it out of college or perhaps even out of high school.

Really? Sure doesn't seem that way to me. All I hear from the media and from acquaintances is how tradesmen are so much better than us losers with liberal arts degrees. It's those people making minimum wage....not the unwashed masses.

JohnElderRobison wrote:
I find working on things I can pick up and handle very satisfying.

I don't....in fact, I hate working with my hands. It's fine if some people do, but trades are NOT for everyone. I just want to work inside in a desk job. If that means I make less money, so be it (although I would like to at least make enough to support myself). I'm not demeaning the skilled trade professions. We are all individuals with different aptitudes. Some would do well in trades...some like me wouldn't.

JudeFarmer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Dec 2011, 2:36 am

Trades work for me. I was exposed to carpentry starting at a young age, and began working in the field at 14. almost twenty years later, i recognize that woodwork has been one of my special interets of unusual focus and duration. it has helped me develop good coordination. I am self employed, but i recommend working for someone else if you can take direction, unless you are also interested in business.

like John E Robison says in his new book Be Different, find your interest and go for it! I am good at what i do, and it is valued by my customers. my skill comes from putting in way more than 10,000 hours towards this special interest. so find yours and stick with it.

NowWhat
Raven
Raven

13 Dec 2011, 9:15 am

JudeFarmer wrote:
Trades work for me,.... find your interest and go for it! I am good at what i do, and it is valued by my customers. my skill comes from putting in way more than 10,000 hours towards this special interest. so find yours and stick with it.

Yeah that.

I am a IBEW journeyman tree trimmer. Overall it's been a good trade. There are politics, and competition. I've left to try other jobs but have been able to come back on short notice.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2011, 2:01 pm

Trades are still hard to get into, though. I've been trying to get into a union apprenticeship for a while, but there's a lot of competition with the way the economy is.

Nick9075
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Dec 2011, 2:47 pm

Cyanide wrote:
Trades are still hard to get into, though. I've been trying to get into a union apprenticeship for a while, but there's a lot of competition with the way the economy is.

I keep reading about this supposed "shortage" and this "talent mismatch" between available jobs and those looking for work. Supposedly there are more jobs in trades such as electricians, auto mechanics & HVAC than there are people available to fill them.

I have been looking for a school or program in the NYC or New England area but all I am coming up with are for Profit schools. One like Porter & Chester costs $30,000 for a 16 month electrician program.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2011, 6:33 am

It's funny. Both my brothers and brother-in-law are, at best, semi-literate. By contrast, I could read a medical journal for fun.

One of them earns $100 000 a year working in mines, and the others are active and will do anything requiring labour. I'm unemployed and poor.

I wish I'd fixed cars or laid bricks and avoided being a book worm.

PaintingDiva
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2011, 11:27 am

This is of personal interest to me because my son quit college....so with that in mind, I suggested he try DeVry, a for profit college and he said, 'no all they want is your money'.....so I am more than a little motivated to find a 2 year College that offers a technical or trade education.

As far as I can tell they are few and far between. I found this link on the internet, I have not figured out who is sponsoring this link and I do notice the big ads for DeVry etc. uh let me guess.

I digress, they do offer a short list of non profit colleges that offer tech/trade education:

education portal.com

For the poster who wanted names of schools in NY state, they have SUNY College of Technology at Alfred....who knew?

I suggest googling your region and query 'non profit trade technical colleges'

Best of luck to everyone....and let the buyer beware with the for profit trade colleges, I surmise their biggest failing is, they accept everyone and do not offer any support while the student is in the program. And they don't care, they are happy to take your money and see you fail....a bleak take on it but that is sort of what they are known for. I would definitely ask them for the numbers on how many students finish their degree and what is their job placement like after you finish the program....

PaintingDiva
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2011, 12:01 pm

Article from the NY Times on trade schools, universities offering 'certificates' for job preparation etc.

nytimes.com

More of let the buyer beware information.....

WhoKnowsWhy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Dec 2011, 1:10 am

DoniiMann wrote:
It's funny. Both my brothers and brother-in-law are, at best, semi-literate. By contrast, I could read a medical journal for fun.

One of them earns $100 000 a year working in mines, and the others are active and will do anything requiring labour. I'm unemployed and poor.

I wish I'd fixed cars or laid bricks and avoided being a book worm.

While I'm much younger, I know exactly what you mean. The current job market is brutal for bookworms. A high school dropout can make six figures working in mines, while college graduates like me can't support themselves. I'm not saying there aren't cases where blue-collar workers should make more money...yes, sometimes the work is dangerous, but I would just like to be able to make a living.

jess
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Dec 2011, 1:36 pm

Last edited by jess on 22 Dec 2011, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PaintingDiva
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2011, 11:42 am

Go where the jobs are?

If you can, Utah, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Texas, Georgia, Nebraska, Kansas, per Forbes magazine study, October 2010...though I agree as long as the new homes construction is down, the building industry is hit hard.

Forbes.com

I took a class once in sales and the teacher said when you see the housing starts start to rise, you will know the economy is doing better.

Bat_For_Lashes
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Dec 2011, 10:04 pm

^^^ Moving costs money - those on the spectrum are usually in pretty dire financial straits. Plus, "those of us on the spectrum" need to have pretty strong personal networks - if we have to move someplace on our own where we know no one - yeah, that should go well.

I'm I the only one smelling whiffs of ableism and instituitionialism in here?

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 11:15 pm

My experience

as a kid my grandfather and I were always "tinkering"
Dennys, ...cook (3.5yrs)
U.S.Army,... helicopter mechanic (3yrs)
"construction co",.. new homes, multi unit appts, remodeling, additions(2yrs)
"large industrial mfg",.. fitter/fabricator <main job, wiring, test technician(aero/mech), assembly, and rigging(21yrs)
....as a fitter I've got near 40,000hrs of experience

on my own, as interests/ side jobs (for friends)

Pro Mod drag racing cars , ie suspension,engine, NOS, tube chassis, sheet metal,...etc(evenings and weekends)
woodworking, ie entertainment center, bars, chest dresser, dining set,end and coffee table, mantle, etc
home plumbing, copper and pvc
home wiring,
kitchens, bathrooms, laundry room
mountain bikes, just my own 2
radio control trucks, boats, heli and plane, currently own 19

currently not working due to needing heart surgery, after the holidays
and fighting a wrongfull termination >due to a disability... law suit ! !