Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2015, 12:59 pm

I can only collect surveys until September 30th.

If you are working or have ever worked in a paid or unpaid job, please consider taking some time out to complete my survey. I will be sending this out for publication in a few months.

I want to know if you have disclosed your autism status at work, if you haven't, and your reasons. I want to know what it's like for you at work, what helps you, and what makes things difficult.

All the stories you see online or in the news about the sorry state of employment for autistic people link back to one of only FOUR studies. Two in the US, one in Australia, and one in the UK. Only two of these studies contain accounts from autistic people themselves. Those two stories were only about problems, not about what works.

If you want a better work environment for yourself and for others on the spectrum, or even if you want people to know that you're doing well and don't need help or sympathy, please consider contributing to this project. If you don't have time to fill out the whole survey, just contact me before September 30th and finish the survey later.

Thank you for reading!

Marjorie Nye (SocofAutism)
Virginia Tech Dept of Sociology

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2015, 6:08 pm

Will a moderator please lock this thread? My thesis committee is letting me extend the deadline through November.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2015, 7:04 pm

I sent in mine.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2015, 7:31 pm

Thank you, Kraftie! I wasn't allowed to talk directly about the data, but I have something like 33 or 34 so far, which is a LOT, and I could vaguely discuss a couple of things. The people overseeing this project got so excited that they all three asked me to extend data collection as long as possible, to get as many people's perspectives as possible.

It's GOOD. Like, great news! A better shot that we will all be published and get noticed! It also means all this will take a little longer.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2015, 7:33 pm

Who knows....maybe this will open doors.

Maybe this will help with how employers perceive autistic people and how employers adapt to the needs of autistic people.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2015, 8:16 pm

I hope so!

In the Autism Disclosure in the Workplace I posted details about what the committee asked for going forward. I won't repeat it all here since I requested this thread be closed. There aren't only seven days left anymore so I don't want to confuse anyone.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 11:33 am

Probably best to post on the MODs ATTENTION thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=13&p=6789877#p6789877

I think there are only two active mods and they spend most of their time fighting the spammers.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 11:42 am

neilson_wheels wrote:
Probably best to post on the MODs ATTENTION thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=13&p=6789877#p6789877

I think there are only two active mods and they spend most of their time fighting the spammers.

Thanks! I didn't realize.