Putting Asperger's down on your Curriculum Vitae

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

anewman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 May 2012, 4:18 pm

As I seem to be stuck in the rut of apply for job -> go to interview -> be rejected for reasons apparently due to Aspergers, I thought I might take a different approach. I have been looking into putting it on my CV with the hope it will help. I was largely inspired by:

Quote:
I have a visual impairment (full details are available on request), but this has not in any way prevented me from successfully completing a demanding degree course and further education qualifications. Far from being a disadvantage, this has increased my awareness of the needs of others and has increased my determination to succeed and to persevere when obstacles are placed in my path.

This focuses on the applicant's disability, but rather than deterring the selector, it sells the skills she has gained from overcoming her disability ; awareness of the needs of others, determination and perseverance. It is short, to the point and effective. http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/cv/CVProfiles.htm

It's work in progress, but here's what I have so far. I intend to put it at the end of the CV, with Education, and Skills sections coming first. I think it would be too "in your face" to put it at the top of a CV as a personal profile.
Quote:
I have Asperger’s Syndrome, an Autistic Spectrum Condition characterised by significant difficulties in social interaction. Despite not taking GCSE exams at school due to resultant bullying, this did not prevent me successfully completing GCSE’s and A levels at College, followed by a Degree and Masters. Experts recognise people with Asperger’s typically show above average skills in concentrating, persevering in the face of obstacles, attention to detail, ability to identify errors, and technical ability. These positive aspects certainly helped me succeed in education. I find interviews particularly difficult and they pose the sole barrier to employment.

Anyone have any thoughts on this subject?

Last edited by anewman on 06 May 2012, 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 4:50 pm

Unless Asperger's causes significant problems within the work place DO NOT put it on your CV - this is one of the first rules of writing a CV, never put anything on there that may lead to an employer rejecting you, even if you're getting rejected at interview stage* at least you're getting a foot in the door where as if you put this on your CV employers may reject you in initial screening.

* You say "apparently" due to Asperger's - what makes you think that?
A lot of us do get rejected based on the problems we have during interviews such as problems with eye contact or anxiety, but unless an interviewer specifically gives you feedback explaining this as the cause you don't know this for sure - if they do confirm that the reason was that you came across as overly anxious etc. THEN consider discussing AS during your interviews in the future being sure to put a positive spin on the diagnosis (e.g. benefits of people with AS to employers, struggles you overcame, how you are as capable as NT's, etc.).

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

anewman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 May 2012, 5:24 pm

Bloodheart wrote:
Unless Asperger's causes significant problems within the work place DO NOT put it on your CV - this is one of the first rules of writing a CV, never put anything on there that may lead to an employer rejecting you,

My attempt was to show the difficulties I have overcome, and try highlight positive aspects. I would find this particularly difficult to do at interview. To be honest, if they're going to ultimately reject me for those reasons anyway, I'd rather not bother going to an interview. I find it difficult to cope with the negative feedback about things over which I have no control. It certainly causes significant problems in interviews - which employers will automatically assume would translate to significant work place problems. I know that once I get used to the environment and people I'd get along ok.

Bloodheart wrote:
* You say "apparently" due to Asperger's - what makes you think that?

Feedback usually makes reference to not showing enough evidence of teamwork skills, or in managing work. I find interviews notably difficult and am very nervous and anxious during them, and this is beyond my control. I therefore cannot communicate as effectively as I might with, for example, my partner/gf. Teamwork would be an obvious issue anyway. Managing work, I'm wondering if those who are getting through are just those who had a job while they studied - something I have extreme difficulty in getting anyway. I once had feedback that I was obviously anxious, but for that interview did not divulge I had AS

pastafarian
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 6:11 pm

I think it could be a good idea. Isn't it worth a try just to see what happens?

CV "Rules" are meant to be broken, and if you have had a string of interview failures, what have you got to lose?

Personally I would delete "significant" (soften it), and reorder it. Go straight for the positive aspects of AS.
I also would not refer to bullying. It sounds better to just say significant challenges at schools.
And dont be afraid to sell other positive aspects. You needn't mention AS again (or they will worry it defines you) but
if you repeat and emphasis the positive traits if they fit the job, they will realise you make an interesting candidate.

"I have Asperger’s Syndrome, an Autistic Spectrum Condition characterised by difficulties in some social interaction. Experts recognise people with Asperger’s typically show above average skills in concentrating, persevering in the face of obstacles, attention to detail, ability to identify errors, and technical ability. These positive aspects certainly helped me succeed in education. Despite not taking GCSE exams at school due to significant challenges, Aspergers did not prevent me successfully completing GCSE’s and A levels at College, followed by a Degree and Masters. I find interviews particularly difficult and they pose the sole barrier to employment.

Chimera68
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 May 2012, 12:24 am

pastafarian wrote:
I think it could be a good idea. Isn't it worth a try just to see what happens?

CV "Rules" are meant to be broken, and if you have had a string of interview failures, what have you got to lose?

Personally I would delete "significant" (soften it), and reorder it. Go straight for the positive aspects of AS

"I have Asperger’s Syndrome, an Autistic Spectrum Condition characterised by difficulties in some social interaction. Experts recognise people with Asperger’s typically show above average skills in concentrating, persevering in the face of obstacles, attention to detail, ability to identify errors, and technical ability. These positive aspects certainly helped me succeed in education. Despite not taking GCSE exams at school due to significant challenges, Aspergers did not prevent me successfully completing GCSE’s and A levels at College, followed by a Degree and Masters. I find interviews particularly difficult and they pose the sole barrier to employment.

This above paragraph sounds pretty good to me.
When filling out online job applications, (99% of them are online now) I have had to mention briefly some facts about myself to that effect, because this is how I lost my last 2 jobs and I don't want any ugly suprises during my next interview...

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 6:48 am

Bloodheart wrote:
Unless Asperger's causes significant problems within the work place DO NOT put it on your CV - this is one of the first rules of writing a CV, never put anything on there that may lead to an employer rejecting you, even if you're getting rejected at interview stage* at least you're getting a foot in the door where as if you put this on your CV employers may reject you in initial screening.

I agree with this. If anything, I would say an interview might be a better place to bring it up. Pretty much every interview will ask about your greatest weakness, and I think that the paragraph you posted about Aspergers would actually make a pretty good answer to that question (minus the last sentence about being bad at interviews though lol). You also have to remember that employers likely aren't going to be familiar with Aspergers at all. So if they have two people with similar qualifications, and they see that you put that you have Aspergers and that it causes difficulties with socializing, they will likely pick the other person (even though legally employers can't discriminate based on this, it's no secret that many do).

Foxx
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2012, 7:13 pm

anewman wrote:
As I seem to be stuck in the rut of apply for job -> go to interview -> be rejected for reasons apparently due to Aspergers, I thought I might take a different approach.

I would personally not do this, as it really decreases your chances of getting a job, as Bloodheart mentioned, you get a foot in the door, meaning you may be taken up for future consideration if another position is free. A rejected interview is not always a permanent "no". A chance is better than nothing.

A better way to do this, would be to practice your social cues with a friend or someone in your family. I did this numerous times with my dad to practice this, not only eye contact (or fake eye contact, where you look at the interviewer's nose bridge), but also, with getting rid of bad habits and adding good ones.

A few good pointers:
The main thing you have to do, is to show interest in the job and in the company or organization. Ask into the work mentality, special things you need to read up on (eg. some propietary system), why the position is open, what goals are there for the position, in what way is my performance measured etc.
Prepare at least 5 questions for them, because you may seem passive and "just in it for the money". Don't just ask about the position, but also about the company itself, the market etc.

Keep eye contact (or fake eye contact as described before), if there are more than one interviewer, make sure to switch between them.

Come well prepared, have your CV, application, your questions, and the job ad (if available) with you, refer to some of the points in the job ad if you need clarification on them. Good preparation can also reduce your anxiety.

Dress a little more formally than you would on the job, but don't go overboard. Find out if they have a dresscode and dress accordingly if they have one.

Come with a smile, leave with a smile, greet your interviewer(s). Answer their questions concisely and to the point, don't delve into the deeper aspects unless they want to dig deeper.

An additional way of increasing your odds of getting a job, would be to start a profile if professional social sites like linkedIn. Make sure to connect with friends, family, associates and previous colleagues. It's another way of getting a foot in the door, and you'll be able to talk on vanrious debate forums etc, which may show a boss out there what you really can do.

Getting a job may seem like an endless battle, but go through enough companies, departments and organizations, and eventually you will find one that wants YOU. If a company you've previously applied for has another open position within your comptences, apply again. The worst you can get is a "no" and a foot in the door.

And if they say no, ask them why they didn't think you were the one. Learning from your mistakes and using them to improve your jobhunting skills is the best thing you can do.

Keep up hope, mate and good luck

Electricbassguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 May 2012, 9:40 pm

I would never mention it on my resume. However, given how I use the same usernames most places (including here), just posting here is sort of admitting it. But I don't want to be hired because I have "issues" or be treated like I'm mentally challenged.

Alex440
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 May 2012, 4:24 am

Don't do it. Ever.

EDIT:

Employers are afraid of taking risks. If they have 100 applicants and one of them has a disorder they don't know much about, and 99 of them don't have it... guess who they're going to pick.

No matter how much positive spin you put on it, they'll always pick the one that looks the most 'normal'.

Talk about your skills and advantages *without* mentioning Asperger's, or any other 'abnormality'.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 5:59 am

I've been told not to put it on a CV.

foxfield
Toucan
Toucan

12 May 2012, 9:19 am

I think your paragraph is very good. If I was a potential employer I would be very impressed by your honesty and your ingenuity in pointing out the positive aspects of your condition.

However: The thing you need to be careful of is that is that the vast majority of employers nowadays see having social skills as one of the most important attributes of an employee. This is true even of scientific and technical jobs. Welcome to the nightmare of AS job hunting. So I would say if you suspect that the potential employer sees good social skills as being even a little bit important, do not put AS on your CV. They will reject you for it. Depressing, but true.

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 May 2012, 12:31 pm

Advanced disclosure (pre interview) may help if the employer is sympathetic. If allowances can be made for communication difficulties at the interview stage then may help the applicant.

Definitely go into detail about how the condition affects you (emphasising strengths) since the person reading the form/CV may not know much about AS and the impact it has varies from person to person.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 12:52 pm

xmh wrote:
Advanced disclosure (pre interview) may help if the employer is sympathetic. If allowances can be made for communication difficulties at the interview stage then may help the applicant.

I was told to do this for a different reason.

ASocialconstruct
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jun 2012, 3:02 pm

Reality check :!: :

FACT. Employers who interview you don't care much about your skills, your ideas, your accomplishments, your potential, how well you've prepared for the interview, or even how well you relate to coworkers. They think they do, but they don't. All they care about is how "comfortable" they feel when you speak with them; and in some cases, how quickly you can solve a simple problem (if you run out of time due to stress they won't care about the problem that was 100 times harder that you solved 100 times better than their own best solution as a homework assignment prior to the interview). You can have references, including managers, saying wonderful things about you, and a decade or more of proven accomplishments. It all goes out the window during an interview. :study:

:?: How could that be? Here are three reasons.

(1) People are stupid. You, me, them, we're all stupid. Forget AS. :duh:

(2) Understand, interviewing is an inherently flawed process, just as all people are inherently flawed. I've done it and I never trusted myself to pick the right person. At least I knew my limitations. This is all true for normal people - forget AS. :scratch:

(3) Companies aren't looking for the best qualified candidate (probably you). They're looking to minimize risk - risk that the person MIGHT NOT be adequately qualified in SOME way, MIGHT NOT be a good fit, or MIGHT cause a problem for them. People who are normal look "safe". That is why anyone who looks, acts, or smells different gets the boot. And that is why interviewing is generally a process of blackballing, which people with AS typically cannot survive (take pleasure, at least, in knowing that one of the people probably like REALLY loved you and fought hard for you). :salut:

I get along well with people, am friendly, often appear normal, and can project confidence. I just have trouble sizing up situations with people I just met, and you only have to guess wrong with one of the five peope who interview you and you're rejected. In my last rejection, I was told I talked too much. Normally, I don't talk enough. I was just guessing, and guessed wrong that time. These are the people making the mistakes, not you. These are supposedly the people who have better social skills than you... yet they come away assuming all the wrong things about you, let alone how you would perform at your job. They are the ones with a problem. It's their loss as much as yours. But remember, we are ALL stupid. If 99% of the people in our society had AS, WE would be the ones discriminating against the 1%. :hail:

I have to accept that I am twice as qualified as the average job applicant, but out of 60 interviews in the last 17 years, I have less than half the success rate than them at an interview (10 offers). One quarter if you consider the phone screens to get the interviews. There is nothing I can do about it. I know all the trite platitudes (eye contact, etc) and I can see the target; only when I shoot at it it misses. I feel sorry for the majority of AS people who are not as high functioning as I am. :wall:

I had to leave <censored> as part of <censored> discrimination, based on sex, disability and retaliation. :silent: My former best friend developed feelings for me, turned hostile and tried to destroy my career. She knew I had AS and lied saying we were never friends and that I misunderstood her. She committed perjury saying I grabbed her hand when she seduced me to hold hers months earlier. She has a doctorate in communications and is adept at manipulation. I told them what SHE did and they refused to investigate my complaint. Yet 95% of discrimination cases (typically women who were raped) LOSE (yes - according to statistics taken by my mediator's judge colleagues - contrary to the 77% quoted in literature) because the justice system is AGAINST YOU. They are further victimized by losing $200K plus traumatized by the added stress of dealing with the justice system. All you can do is threaten them with legal fees, hope they will settle, leave with a (crappy) settlement, and hope that what's left after legal fees will last until you can find another job. There is no justice in this world. :rambo:

My recommendations are: :idea:

(1) NEVER disclose AS on a resume. They fear liability so they won't touch you. You'll never know, so that's an easy call for them!! ! :lol:

(2) Be prepared, and take the phone screen. If you pass, ask them details of their face-to-face interview process. :wink:

(3) If it sounds like their process will discriminate against you, disclose your AS during the interview process, explaining that it only affects how you interact with people you just met (if you're in sales that's different). :?

(4) Otherwise don't disclose it unless and until you think you made a bad impression with someone. :oops:

(5) Once you are employed, don't disclose it until you think it is affecting you professionally. Then disclose it and request accomodations to protect you legally (but in that case your days are numbered - start looking for a new job). :(

(6) If things are going downhill, intimidate them (e.g. in Massachusetts, reference 151B.4.(4A,5,16)). :x

(7) If you lose your job or suffer extreme injustice or emotional distress you cannot live with, file a charge with a state agency, threaten to file in superior court, hire a lawyer, get them to mediation, and take as much as you can in a settlement so you have a cushion when looking for your next job. :evil:

(8) If all else fails, think about whether this life is worth it for you :skull: . I won't say more or this post will be trashed. :help:

But don't trust my opinion. That's like a liars paradox or something :lmao:

bettalove
Raven
Raven

15 Jun 2012, 9:22 pm

I have the exact problem you do. I've been unemployed for two months and have had 1-2 interviews each week. I look good on paper, but can't beat the interview process. :(

poppyfields
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jun 2012, 10:39 pm

I've been unemployed for a year and I still would never ever ever put it on my resume. It is one thing to explain it face-to-face with someone who has already decided they like you enough for an interview. But when you put it on a resume, that is like asking for it to go in the trash pile. One thiing I learned at a disability program is that hiring people don't read everything you send them unless they see potential. A quick glance is enough to tell them if it is worth their time to read further. Don't put your resume in the auto-delete file.