Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 3:04 am

Has anyone here successfully gotten off disability? Receiving it has destroyed my life. I have zero marketing/business skills. Being an independent thinker I cannot stand needing to rely on the state. My self esteem is extremely low and I feel like I have been condemned to a life of poverty. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I cannot stand to live this way.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 4:35 am

There are many types to choose from.

>> Lawn mowing/yard work/gardening.
>> House cleaning.
>> Errand/shopping service.
>> Wait for service people, so the home owner/renter doesn't have to take time off from work.
>> House/pet sitting.
>> House chores for the elderly/disabled.
>> Handyman.
>> Tutor.
>> Computer maintenance/repair.
>> Website design.
>> Other website based businesses.
>> Paint houses indoor/outdoor.

There are many other self employment opportunities. Your local libraries will have books with lists and descriptions of them, so look into it.

noname_ever
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 3:46 pm

If your ethics are flexible, consider working for cash under the table until you determine if you can work successfully.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 4:04 pm

What skills do you have?

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2012, 5:21 am

Self-employment is hard, the income drastically varies month to month, and it takes a lot of networking, marketing, and people skills.

What about a "quieter" job, such as working in a library, as the hostess or bus boy in an upscale restaurant, or perhaps the receptionist at a very small clinic or office?

Or, house cleaning, house sitting, pet sitting, and that sort of thing.

Good for you for not living off the state forever.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2012, 7:51 am

I'm on disability in the highest unemployment area of the most unemployed state in Australia. I don't have a trade. I spend a lot of time thinking about this.

My conclusion is that there are two options that could result in long term work that doesn't suck. Both are based on improving my situation.

* Train in an area of skills shortage via a recognised course.

* Train in an area that interests you, not via a recognised course.

The first speaks for itself. Your location finds it difficult to attract people with particular skills or trade, then you turn up with a piece of parchment that says you are the answer to their dreams and their problems.

The second is similar, but targets those subjects that don't require such an impressive document as required by solution number one. Like flowers? Libraries and op-shops have more books on flower arranging than a church has bibles. Set yourself the task of reading nothing but flower arranging books for a couple of months. Get some oasis, a few flowers, ask the ladies at that church who do the flowers if you can have any spare shaping wire and help out doing the flowers. Is that enough to become a florist? Don't know. Probably not. But if you were to try to convince a florist to give you a trial or apprenticeship...

Cocktails? Plenty of books on the subject. Memorise a few hundred recipes, demonstrate a knowledge of bar procedures, even if only in theory. All available in books.

Gardening, horticulture, carpentry, cake decorating, languages...

Time flows in one direction. In five years time, you will be five years older, not five years younger (sorry). So set yourself some goals. Choose a subject and choose a time. The aim is not to be a master craftsperson in a year. The aim is to convince a prospective employer. That's all. Convince.

Address the inevitable question of your time on disability. Why it doesn't mean you're unemployable.

They'll get lots of applicants. You need to shine. Not impossible. A lot who turn up just want to do anything, and as such, don't have a clue about what they're applying for. But you can build a reputation in your area. You can demonstrate interest.

Just wish I'd listen to my own waffle :)

HilarityEnsues
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jun 2012, 11:04 am

I'm on disability. Due to the nature of my disability and the fact it gets progressively worse over time, I don't know if I'll ever begin to work a full time job to pay the bills. Just keep in mind it doesn't hurt to try, I am taking college courses for a field I am very intersested in, And hopefully I'll be able to accel in.