Using the Otherness label to gain recognition

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Gita
Raven
Raven

27 Apr 2012, 11:25 am

I am a bit scared to ask this question.

I am an artist, and am considering outing myself as an Aspie, in order to make my art more understandable to those who see it. I am also moving away from purely representational/objective art, to a more internalized symbolic dream oriented sort of art. Often I am asked where my ideas are coming from. Well, here it is. In the same way, when I did some fiction writing (which is when I first understood my mind was more different than I knew) the product was unusual, even the way I wrote was unusual, and I was usually criticized that it was not mainstream, or the way a "normal" person would write.

Now, the understanding that I am an aspie, really has made me understand much of my idiosyncrasies, and not be so defensive because I am not "normal."

With this understanding and knowledge about myself, I am able to expand and do my own thing to a far greater extent.

Since my start in arts, I have had to carefully edit my work in order to make it seem normal. I generally ended up dissatisfied with the result. This parallels the typical mirroring of (female) asperges in learning how to behave in public. My art suffered because all though it was well done, it had no soul. The main criticism was that it was "beautiful, but without feeling." Strangely, very much the way that I do not understand various emotions. I ended up restricting myself to typical fare in order not to become too strongly invested in the outcome. But-- I tell myself tossing and turning at night-- If they knew that I was seeing the world with a different kind of brain, they might not expect what they expect and see it more as a cultural difference than a lack of understanding of the predominant culture. All art is metaphor after all, and what I am hoping to express with the metaphor is something that must be experienced to understand.

Can it all backfire? Yes. I don't know how yet.

I am not totally in favor of labels-- I think an artist should be an artist-- but if it gives people a little more understanding of what they are seeing, is it a useful tactic?

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 1:29 pm

Well, why not? You are in a unique position as an artist, a profession unlike any other. I guess you can afford to be candid and, as you've stated, it might be an attribute. I do not think it's at all 'shameful' to recognise your AS as a strength - it is! You are obviously a gifted artist - play up on that talent.

As an aside, I had believed before that it would be somehow disingenous of me to use my innate maths abilities (I can sometimes flash count) in my science. But why? The underlying reason why I can 'see numbers' really does not matter, does it? The reason for my reticence is that I've been teased, a lot, and shamed.

About the implication that others may not be approving: true, but if you have confidence in yourself and your art, then the gamble may be worthwhile. I understand what you mean about labels being arbitrary but unfortunately most people do judge based upon such labels. If you think your art would benefit and grow through disclosure, then do so.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 1:37 pm

As an aside, in another venue I recommended this compelling book to another, Autism and the Edges of the Known World by Olga Bogdashina. If art is a metaphor then autism certainly is - maybe your reading this book would elucidate your own message as an Asperger's artist.

http://www.jkp.com/catalogue/book/9781849050425

(Apologies for the double-post and I do know better :) )

Gita
Raven
Raven

27 Apr 2012, 5:06 pm

You know LabPet, that is a fantastic answer.

Mychal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jul 2012, 9:26 pm

I'm not a professional artist, but I have actively created art for as long as I can remember. These are just some ideas to consider because I do not know exactly how you utilise your skills, but I think making a series/collection of works specifically outlining how you see the world through AS eyes could be effective. If you did a collection of sorts, you would be able to give a distinct voice to your take on the world. Then in the future, if you present a portfolio, you would have these pieces included and it would give your future non-AS focused work some context. Alternatively, if your work is on display, sometime there are artist bios for viewers to read... you could mention your AS (maybe partway through, not at the start) in one of these bios allowing you to give a small explanation to frame your work, but without dwelling on AS as a main focus.