Does anyone feel that volunteering in this time and age is

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 1:46 pm

...wrong?

I'm not judging the people who do it, but it seems to me that these people are making decisions that are having a bad effect to their mental and physical health. It's like getting jailed out of free will without doing something wrong or like being a prostitute who works for free, it's sort of hazardous to their own health and sometimes even to others too imo.

I done volunteering once in the past and it felt like one of the worst working experiences in my life. I personally cannot imagine anyone getting fun out of it, it's still working and there is a reason people get paid for work, it's because it's hazardous and unpleasant.

I don't get the idea behind it unfortunately. I might just be stupid I guess.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 4:00 pm

Not all work is hazardous and unpleasant. I've done various kinds of voluntary work in the past - I do it because I find it rewarding to do things that will help other people and because I believe that God wants me to do things to help others. I don't have a lot of money, so donating time is one way that I can give back.

At the moment I'm looking for paid work, but there are not many jobs. In the meantime I would like to do some volunteering again. I've worked in retail for several years and I know that my knowledge of that might be helpful to a charity shop, for example. Some people also volunteer because it benefits them - for example helping with their confidence, updating their skills if they have been out of work for some time etc. For me I feel that it is important for me to have a routine, I don't want to feel I am being idle just because I don't have a job. If I have been getting up every day, dressing properly and going out to a volunteer job then it will be easier for me to adapt to working again than if I have been at home, wearing my pyjamas and looking at pictures of cats on the internet all day!