Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 3:01 pm

I'm having problems with my boss at work.

We are very busy and this gets quite stressful my boss repeatedly complains about my communication:
He says "I am always telling him stuff he knows and not telling him the things he ought to be told".
This is an ongoing problem and he believes there is something I can do about it.

He dislikes any interruption but if I have a salient question in my head I have to express it right now as if I wait I will forget what it was.
This of course he finds annoying.

Sometimes it feels to me that he just can't stand the sound of my voice although I know that cannot be true but I am at a loss, when I communicate I am told to shut up and when I don't I am asked "why didn't you tell me this" and both of us get terribly frustrated.

At one time we had a system of an email list I would send him daily this sort of worked but was very tedious for me as I am very dyslexic I also need access to a computer most of the time which at some times is not convenient.

He values my loyalty, my being punctual for an early start and my enthusiasm (all good aspie traits) but finds that stress level increase when I am working for him.
I feel anxiety all the time doubting if what I am doing is right and am occasionally stressed to the point of meltdown.
(BTW a special thanks to the lady on the tube Saturday when I completely lost it retuning to the office from an errand believed falsely I had got on the wrong train she told me simply and clearly that it did go to the right stop and she would tell me when it was due but most importantly left me alone as I squatted non verbal by the door).

I am looking for information and help with resolving these issues as currently we are very busy and if the stress was eliminated this would be highly profitable.

Lucywlf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jun 2012, 4:21 pm

I can't help you with your issue; just dropped in to say LIBERATOR! (I love your icon.)

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 5:27 am

your boss is just like any other annoying boss
reminds me of movie Devil wears Prada

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 10:09 am

Bosses are usually goal minded, which means they want to hear about results more than about the procedure. So if you are telling him things about the process try not to, instead try to just tell him about the results.

If something is going to be delayed just tell him and offer a short explanation of why then tell him when you think it will be done.

In my experience bosses get frustrated sometimes because of themselves, they are just people like everyone but they get stressed because responsibility usually lands on their shoulders if something goes wrong.

If you are good at your job then keep doing it and try to only communicate with the information he wants, and not the things he doesn't want.

Hope that helps.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 12:05 pm

Lucywlf: Yes B7 is a great :)

namaste: may or may not be true but unhelpful.

Robdemanc: Very good, this I try to do. The problems I have when I tell him the thing is that there is often a log jam of information in my head and I am unable to access and sort the stack of information in my head in order to tell him the imprtant thing he needs to know this is of course worse the more pressure I am under :(
Worse he will always ask a question for which I am not prepared and am unable to answer.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 1:30 pm

I think this is a very manageable issue.

The easy one is your questions. I hate when I'm busy with something and someone comes up and starts asking questions. Now if it's very important I will understand, but if it's routine I'm going to get annoyed.

Perhaps you can write down the question and if it doesn't need to be answered right on the spot; wait till your boss has a few minutes and ask if he has a minute and then present the question.

The one about you telling him what he knows; can you give an example?

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 4:12 pm

Ok examples:

Quote:
In office Boss and co worker disussing specification for monitors and projectors to be used for a project
Boss: "What is the resolution of the projector"
Co Worker: "Is that with the HD lens"
everyone???
me "the lens can only change the aspect ratio"

Boss "SHUT UP!"

Another thing that annoys is when I repeat a verbal instruction given to me this I do without even being aware of doing it and I find it quite disorientating not to.

As they happen more examples will follow.

It just leaves me with the impression that my voice is the most offensive sound in the world.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 1:58 am

Quote:
Returning from a delivery trip from I had collected a faulty unit from the chap on site it is not a large item
Boss: "why didn't you phone me"
me "I was going to hide it in the back of the van
Boss that is unsatisfactory ,,,, he has a right go at me

Eventualy I drop the item at his house on the way to the office I get there about 10pm and I know we will be in at about 6:00 the following morning it is on an industrial estate with an automatic gate. may have not been most desirable but I see as no big deal either?

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 5:24 am

After a series of incidents this week the relationship with my boss has deteriorated to a point where I have been sent home today.

I really cannot afford to have a loss of income.

I do not know what to do

HELP!

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 1:29 pm

First Example:

You didn't actually answer his question. You made a know-it-all comment about what the co-worker said, but you didn't mean to. I work in technology and I hear people say dumb s**t like that all the time in meetings. Focus on the question the boss asked. He didn't need to know that the lens changes aspect ratio, he needed to know the resolution.

Second Example:

I would be upset too if my employee received a broken unit and didn't tell me, and I'm perplexed by the comment about hiding it in the back of the van. Why? You didn't break it, it was given to you broken. Your employer needs to know, especially if that unit had been slated to go somewhere else.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 2:11 pm

Quote:
would be upset too if my employee received a broken unit and didn't tell me, and I'm perplexed by the comment about hiding it in the back of the van. Why? You didn't break it, it was given to you broken. Your employer needs to know, especially if that unit had been slated to go somewhere else.

This unit was faulty on site and needed return to warehouse although not cheap it was not very expensive and the only reason to hide it was so it would not attract attention from the curious, we have dozens of this item which is about the size of a shoe box.

In any case our relationship has deteriorated to one that is impossible for either of us to cope with.

I really have not found the time to write about the other incidents each of which I find completely baffling cumulation today when I retired with an empty cage (we have some large cages we use to carry florescent fittings in) which as far as I can see all that matters is we know where it is the chaps at the site did not want to unload and had no where to put it I saw no reason whatsoever to unload it and leave it on site.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2012, 1:02 pm

Well somehow we are still working on it.

Have to see how things go.