Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tica
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2011, 1:08 pm

Since i am still job seeking i figured that i should do some more volunteer work in my free time. It is a good way to socialize with people and it stands out more on a resume. In the past i have had several types of volunteer jobs. The most recent was working in an office doing various tasks. Unfortunately right now there is no work for me to do. Out of all my experiences that would have to be my favorite. Anyone else volunteer?

glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2011, 1:32 pm

I like to walk the dogs and visit the cats at the shelter. They appreciate the attention and love.

NowWhat
Raven
Raven

06 Sep 2011, 2:41 pm

I was a volunteer master gardener, and answered phones and walk in questions. Liked the smart interesting people involved in that. All of the troubleshooting, reference material, and phone #'s of experts was pretty cool.

Miyah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2011, 2:52 pm

As a matter of fact, I sure do. I volunteer at our city zoo by working with the enrichment team and then informing guests about certain animals on display like what they eat, what part of the world their from etc. As for yourself, go right ahead and volunteer as I agree that you will get some connections.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 2:23 pm

HELL YES! :D

I love volunteering. In fact, I am due to volunteer this Saturday
at a non-profit movie theater in Portland.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 9:53 am

I have volunteered a whole lot with various organizations, it was the way I was brought up and I love it. Although I'm not doing any volunteering at the moment because there is too much I need to do for myself, I'm sure I will be in the future. Volunteering is an excellent way to socialize and met new people while providing a valuable service and giving back to your community.

Your Aspie score: 167 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 35 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie.

Raydiate
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Sep 2011, 3:33 pm

Like glasstoria, I volunteer at my local Animal Rescue League to walk dogs. I'm too busy now, so instead I volunteer to make follow-up calls. 6-8 weeks after someone adopts a dog, I'll call them and ask a series of questions. If they're struggling, I just give them the contact info to the shelter's counselor. It's a great way to volunteer for just 10 minutes at a time.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 4:36 pm

I volunteer at two museums here in Houston. I work as a tour guide/docent at the Museum of Natural Science, and as a tour guide/docent/usher at the Museum of Fine Arts.

StillStanding
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Sep 2011, 12:27 am

I begin a volunteer job tomorrow afternoon, just working 1 1/2 hours in a computer lab. Nothing biggie but will get me on the path to being around people more.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 11:01 am

StillStanding wrote:
I begin a volunteer job tomorrow afternoon, just working 1 1/2 hours in a computer lab. Nothing biggie but will get me on the path to being around people more.
That's great. :) As soon as I can, I'm going to get back to volunteering again. It does help out a lot with socializing if you're around other people.

Your Aspie score: 167 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 35 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie.

Yumeji
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Sep 2011, 12:01 pm

I am currently trying to find a place to volunteer; however, it's proving to be quite difficult. This morning I received a response from Big Brothers and they request that I provide 3 references (I have 0) and a resume (the last job I worked at officially was in 2006) for their HR department. Here I thought volunteering would help me practice my social skills, control anxiety, and possibly provide me with some experience and a reference for a real job, but that looks to be out the window now.

EmDaise
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Sep 2011, 2:37 pm

Yumeji wrote:
I am currently trying to find a place to volunteer; however, it's proving to be quite difficult. This morning I received a response from Big Brothers and they request that I provide 3 references (I have 0) and a resume (the last job I worked at officially was in 2006) for their HR department. Here I thought volunteering would help me practice my social skills, control anxiety, and possibly provide me with some experience and a reference for a real job, but that looks to be out the window now.

I've run into the same issues as well.

dontslowmedown
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 5:18 pm

ive seen this http://www.vso.org.uk/event/29773/meet- ... 2011events

It interested me enough to bookmark it, the only problem being i dont really have any professional skills to offer them. I'm wondering if i should use volunteering to help these guys be my long term goal and a motivation to gain some kind of professional skills. I know i have ability and ive proven that to myself in more than a few ways. I know that i'd do well in any profession that took my interest, ive long since learned how to harness my autistic ability to focus on one subject and get good at it, i also know that it doesn't matter whether i'm suited to something or not, just wanting to be good at something gets me past the lack of natural ability in the area.

The only thing ive ever been missing is the will. Money doesn't motivate me, the will to prove myself to other people doesn't motivate me, the will to make a name for myself doesn't motivate me. The only thing i'll happily work for is other people. Helping other people in general gives me a nice feeling. And it's not so much that i empathise with them or know what they're feeling, it's because they look so happy. They seem to get so much more from being happy than i ever could.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 5:51 pm

I am a volunteer too. Hoping that I'll make some good connections or impressions in the meantime. I am working with 2 different animal rescue groups this weekend. I have been doing photography for years (not professionally), & have found there's a need for good photographs of homeless pets to encourage adoptions. Anything I can do to help some homeless pets find families is a good thing.

I'm also doing some office work for one of the rescues as they are way behind in updating information regarding adopted pets in their spreadsheet. It's also something I can do at home while job hunting.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 7:14 pm

I volunteer occasionally, packing and addressing mailouts for a charity with my grandparents. It means a lot to the organization without being a huge time commitment for me at all. A few of us doing a couple hours work every few months saves the charity $1000s of dollars in mail processing fees a year. Volunteer work definitely looks good on your resume. I also try and do a bit of pro-bono website design / consulting for people at my church every so often - but it kind of depends on how busy I am with study.

OP I think anything to do with kids and mentoring and such will be harder to get into than something office based or environment related simply because of child protection and so forth. Volunteer work definitely helps to fill our your resume when it's a little on the skinny side.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 3:43 pm

I have done voluntary work before at a few organisations and since that paid work is very difficult for me to find i am thinking to start voluntary work again to increase my confidence and boost my self esteem.