Want to find a new job, but dread job hunting again

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 9:09 pm

I've been at the same job for nearly 5 years, but because of physical issues and "office politics" I want to find another job.

My job requires me to be pretty active (I detail cars), but do to my physical disability, it's getting harder and harder. I do like my job, but I want to find something closer to home and that suits me better physically.

Also, lately it seems that my job description has expanded to include "scape goat".
I delivered a car in which a reflector lens in the bumper fell out (because someone left the screws out) as I was pulling it up to the customer The customer saw that the part was missing and complained to the manager.
Instead of the person who did the work on the car getting in trouble, I had all the blame laid on me because I "delivered the car with damage", and my manager said if anything else happens, I'll be fired. From what I've heard, there has been no effort to look into who actually worked on the car.

A couple really nice things about my job is the limited interaction with the customers and that they let me listen to my Ipod all day. If they said I couldn't use my ipod anymore, I'd quit on the spot! (I call my ipod my anti-insanity device! :lol:

I'm trying to think of a job that would suit me well that I can do from my wheelchair since my legs are only getting worse. Honestly, I can't really think of any jobs that would be good for me (that I'd be interested in).
My biggest fear is having to get new health insurance. Having to deal with stuff like that is my biggest problem. Things that seem simple to others (even things like renewing my license or taking care of a traffic ticket is a HUGE problem for me)
This is kind of turning into a rant :o
Anyone have any suggestions on what kind of jobs in general are good for aspies?

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 9:49 pm

I am curious about something. Even though you didn't work on the car, was it really your responsibility to make sure it was ready, cosmetically or otherwise, for the customer? Was there a checklist to follow?,

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2012, 10:07 pm

It's my responsibility to visually inspect the car to make sure it's clean and has no obvious defects before I deliver it. The lens fell off after my check (while I was driving it up to the delivery area). The customer saw that the part was missing before I got out of the car. I found the part half way between there and my department.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/