Are aspies immune to being fired?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Quinntilda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Oct 2012, 9:55 pm

I currently have a good job at a greenhouse with a high position. Some of the workers there have Aspergers (mostly borderline cases like me) but there was a casheir there who had it the real kind. The stereo type as people really see it, This person is good at his job but he is a jerk. He thinks having something will make him have some special privilages. I know some people take it as a "gift" but they dont brag about it. He thinks he can knock the trash over and make people pick it up, push a handycap person over for no reason, clog all the toilets, curse at the boss, make comments about my sister, spit on things etc. Even did this to a customer once. He will constantly blame the NT assistant cashiers. The worst part is the boss is afraid to firehim or anyone else and someone defends him saying things like he didn't understand his actions.

When he started saying things to me I politely asked him to stop but he didn't listen. What really set me off was when he called me a spaz for having a seizure at work. I couldn't sleep for 2 days after that withthe words in my head. I have to come in early as the head janitor and saw the trash he threw from the day before (enough to fill a can) and dumped it on his counter. When he came in he demanded me to clean it or get one of the janitors to do it. I said "Its on the counter and its your trash. You should clean a mess for once you rude f***". (followed by cursing and comments and rant about him ). He sat down and took it in for a minute and started crying uncontrollably and fell off the chair crying so hard. No one cared after about 5 minutes of watching everyone left the room. We could hear it through almost the entire building. Of course today he goes and acts really polite to everyone to try and earn their respect.
*The boss talked to this person today after this.
I also heard he has something else besides AS. (I pretty much figured it because people with it only aren't extremely rude)

Last edited by Quinntilda on 25 Oct 2012, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taverson
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2012, 10:26 pm

Sounds like you aren't dealing with just someone with the condition...

You're dealing with a horrid human being with the condition.

You can not use Asperger's as a plausible defence for that sort of behaviour in my opinion.

There comes a point where you can not hide behind the diagnosis.

I think you did the right thing minus the cursing.

Sucks that he threw a tantrum afterwards but if that's what it takes for him to respect others, then that's what it takes.

And with regards to your question: I was fired from Chik-fil-a for being too "aloof and distant", fired from Wal-mart for breaking regulations in order to gather carts more efficiently, and fired from Sonic for caring more about customers who had been waiting for their order for over half an hour than the manager's buddies who got the wrong drink after only waiting five minutes. I would have been fired from Braum's for being basically too slow and methodical.

My Aspie traits are usually a hindrance to my quest to gain and maintain a job, so no I am not immune to firing THOUGH I do not tell them I have Asperger's so that I actually have a decent chance of gaining the job.

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 10:27 pm

pfft. i wish. i have been fired for BS. it amazes me that people like that are able to remain employed, but polite, hard workers aren't.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 10:29 pm

Quote:
Are aspies immune to being fired?

No. But if your boss is afraid to fire anyone, then he, most likely won't.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 10:29 pm

Of course not. AS is in no way an excuse to be a total a-hole. He clearly needs the boot, but in the meantime, it would be wise to not do or say anything that would get you into hot water. If your immediate supervisor will not fire him, it may require complaints from your other coworkers or even customers if he is rude to them.

lexicon2600
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Oct 2012, 10:50 pm

It sounds like he needs to be set straight or let go. Someone with actual leadership skills and a solid understanding of aspie issues needs to sit him down and lay it out.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 10:51 pm

Aspies niether should be, nor are, immune from firing.

Dont know why your coworker doesnt get fired.

(Atleast you rammed some sense into him).

But aspies definetly DO get fired. I guy I worked with whom the company knew was an aspie got fired. There is no federal law against it if thats what you're asking.

Im surprised you know so many people at your workplace are aspies. Were kinda few and far between.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 12:22 am

Quote:
Im surprised you know so many people at your workplace are aspies. Were kinda few and far between.

I suspect aspergers to be more and not as far between as published statistics suggest; especially in the older adult demographic. I work in a supermarket with a staff of @ 150. At least 10 of whom have marked aspie traits. The woman who lives above me is aspie and her boyfriend may be, too. My Godson is diagnosed and his father is lately self identified. My mother's second husband seems aspie to me. My cousin's son is diagnosed and I'm pretty sure his dad is aspie, too. Aspergers simply was not recognized, in general, except in last 20 years. Most folks are still unaware that aspies have jobs, careers, degrees & marriages; so they're not going to guess that a functional co-worker might have aspergers. The age range of my seemingly aspie co-workers is 17 to @ 60. Approx 1/3 of the folks I suspect to be aspie are female and I believe female aspies, especially, fly under the radar.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 2:03 am

Quinntilda wrote:
I currently have a good job at a greenhouse with a high position. Some of the workers there have Aspergers (mostly borderline cases like me) but there was a casheir there who had it the real kind. The stereo type as people really see it, This person is good at his job but he is a jerk. He thinks having something will make him have some special privilages. I know some people take it as a "gift" but they dont brag about it. He thinks he can knock the trash over and make people pick it up, push a handycap person over for no reason, clog all the toilets, curse at the boss, make comments about my sister, spit on things etc. Even did this to a customer once. He will constantly blame the NT assistant cashiers. The worst part is the boss is afraid to firehim or anyone else and someone defends him saying things like he didn't understand his actions.

When he started saying things to me I politely asked him to stop but he didn't listen. What really set me off was when he called me a spaz for having a seizure at work. I couldn't sleep for 2 days after that withthe words in my head. I have to come in early as the head janitor and saw the trash he threw from the day before (enough to fill a can) and dumped it on his counter. When he came in he demanded me to clean it or get one of the janitors to do it. I said "Its on the counter and its your trash. You should clean a mess for once you rude f***". (followed by cursing and comments and rant about him ). He sat down and took it in for a minute and started crying uncontrollably and fell off the chair crying so hard. No one cared after about 5 minutes of watching everyone left the room. We could hear it through almost the entire building. Of course today he goes and acts really polite to everyone to try and earn their respect.

Honestly I think people with AS are more likely to get fired, providing they can get hired at all. And your boss needs to set limits. In the event that the employee really doesn't understand his actions, your boss is not doing him any favors by not talking to him about it. Having AS is not a license to bully other people or treat them poorly.

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Oct 2012, 3:15 am

Quinntilda wrote:

Sorry... the way you start your post sets my hackles up. Either I am misunderstanding what you say - or your point of view is rotten. You say - "but there was a casheir there who had it the real kind. The stereo type as people really see it, This person is good at his job but he is a jerk."

1. What is "The real" kind? It is ALL real.... it is just a sliding scale.

2. We are aspies - we do NOT lack in personalities... even rotten ones at times.

3. Anyone who treats co workers like crap and acts inappropriately at work is NOT good at their job no matter how well you run a cash register. #1 thing in a cashier position? IT IS customer service and HOW you treat people.

All that said - I am a cashier. I am great on the machine, I am extremely nice to my co workers and would NEVER dream to knock a trash can over and expect others to pick it up. I am an aspie... The REAL kind.

He may be an aspie - but his personality is only influenced by his asd... it DOES NOT make him be a jerk in the way you describe... that is, in my view pure bad upbringing and pure bad personality.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 4:23 am

What does you boss do about him? Does he ever take him aside and explain that his behaviour is unacceptable? He should at least be getting verbal warnings. No name calling and no spitting are basic rules which he should be able to adhere to.

Last edited by Mummy_of_Peanut on 24 Oct 2012, 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 7:00 am

To play devil's advocate, is it possible you mistook his lighthearted comments for insults? I ask because in his mind, maybe he thought he was joking around. As you're emotional about your seizures, you kind of sank to his level and had a tantrum with him. Maybe the whole garbage thing was his vengeance for what he saw as your misbehavior.

That said, I can't understand why he knocks people over and has tantrums at work. Is there more going on there that just AS?

As far as the boss, he probably sees the guy as mentally challenged, meaning he's afraid to fire him for fear of some discrimination lawsuit.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 11:56 pm

He sounds more like a jerk than just AS. Aspies can get fired and it's happened before. The boss may be too afraid to fire him because he is worried about a lawsuit. Some people with disabilities do abuse the ADA act. Another reason why places may not hire someone with a disability.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 5:33 pm

At work my autism gives me all of the special privileges that no one else had. At the hospital I practice medicine without a license and get away with it. I come to work anytime I want to because I am in a car pool and I am allowed the flex-time privilege. I get to drink coffee at the meetings when no one else is allowed to because coffee is a drink and not food. I get a desk and my own private office and not a cubicle even though I am not the boss because I am better than the boss. If I work overtime I get paid more than the Boss because he is on salary.

I don't understand the silly rules that hospitals have. Why is a combat medic allowed to perform surgery to allow a wounded man to breathe but a civilian emergency medical technician who has combat experience has to let a man die. I ask these EMT's how they can live with themselves after they see a man gargling in his own gore and they did nothing to save him because they wanted to keep their jobs and obey the silly rules.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 12:09 am

Yes, I agree that being an Aspie does not make you immune to being fired.

Or quietly let go at the end of the contract, even when you have done the project very well.

What has happened, though, is that I have seen different managerial styles, and am better able to pick and choose the type of manager that I want to be, and how I want to treat my employees. That is one of the two upsides to the ordeal that has been the past three years of my life. The other upside was that by not staying on at jobs I found difficult, I eventually wound up at a place that I love.

okie

04 Nov 2012, 12:43 am

Quinntilda wrote:
Of course today he goes and acts really polite to everyone to try and earn their respect.
Problem solved.