Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

alien91
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Oct 2013, 6:54 am

Hate it! Every job I have had I end up hating.I hate the unpredictability of it all and not knowing if I am going to deal with diificult co-workers or customers. I hate all the pressure from bosses and co-workers to learn the ins and outs of the job lighting quick. I hate having to be around tons of people because it reminds how weird and awkward I am.Almost all workplace enviroments make me extremely nervous and anxious. Are there any jobs or careers that are aspie friendly? Because I know I have to earn my living, I just don't want o be miserable in the process.

J-H-H
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2013, 7:06 am

I know what you mean, few workplaces are perfectly suitable for aspies. Maybe you should try to work in a field that involves your interests? Perhaps it will be easier and more fun. Then again, since I'm a teenager I don't have much work experience, so I don't know if I'm helping or not. Anyway, best of luck!

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

28 Oct 2013, 7:37 am

It took me a long time to learn that I am better working with things than people. So I switched from service oriented jobs (dental assistant, clerical, etc.) to computer programming. There's plenty of other jobs like that where you have considerably less interaction with others. I tend to like a more casual environment where you're not cooped up in an office all day. I'm salary and punch no clocks. Some days I work from home. This suits my aspie brain much better. In the past I'd stare out the office windows wishing I could be free. Now I lose track of time doing what I like.

TreeShadow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2013, 10:42 am

I would suggest you stay away from retail or other service jobs, unless as a last resort. I know that I would not be able to succeed in that type of environment. It would be bad for me, for the customers, and for the store. Right now I work in an office job at a university and it's not that bad. I am very lucky to have an outstanding boss, which makes things a lot easier. Once I finish my degree I plan to apply for library or archives jobs. My main goal is to be an archivist. I was one for a year and it was the perfect job for me. Even though I sometimes had to deal with the public, I didn't mind it because I was doing research for them, something I am good at. I got many compliments on my ability to find information that others could not.

alien91
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Oct 2013, 9:09 pm

I don't have a whole lot of options because I haven't been to college yet.all the jobs I have worked at have been a bust for one reason or the other. 1. Most job shifts are from the morning to afternoon and that doesn't work for me because im a night owl , always have been. So im frequently tardy when I work that shift because I oversleep and end up feeling like a loser because I hate letting people down. 2. Im shy and awkward and don't do well in retail environments or anything that deals with the public. 3. Factory environments have also been problematic for me because of the long hours and constant overtime and sensory overload on the job (lots of loud noises, bright lights, smells etc.). If you take away all that stuff there's not much an unskilled person like myself can do. :(

TreeShadow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2013, 11:32 pm

I suggest that you look at temp agencies. That is how I got my current job. Even though I have a degree, they didn't require one. In my second temp position the office wanted to hire me more permanently. Your luck may vary, but it doesn't hurt to look into it.

DizzleJWizzle
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Oct 2013, 12:36 am

1800 why did this ceo get a pay check of 800 million dollars!! !
wtf

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 10:21 am

That was a bit out of place.

What about a trade? Much less working with people, lots of puzzles and problem solving.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 3:06 pm

dizzleJwizzle appears to be some sort of bot? They posted elsewhere recently spouting nonsense.

Poor motivation

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 4:50 pm

I never liked any job I had, either. Mainly I worked as a nursing home nurse, but it was all torture, misery and pain from Day One. I did it only because I needed money to pay the rent. The job blew chunks. No wonder now only foreigners are employed in nursing homes as nurses and aides.

DizzleJWizzle
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Oct 2013, 4:59 pm

trolling... i'm not a bot... just very mad at the stupidity of humanity!! ! also concerned...

glow
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2013, 7:06 am

alien91 wrote:
Are there any jobs or careers that are aspie friendly? Because I know I have to earn my living, I just don't want o be miserable in the process.

And you say you are working? has anyone complained about your performance yet? if not, its up to you to find your niche there in order to fill more satisfied with your job. nobody is going to thank you for each task you do, but I reckon it does pay off to find a suitable employer. What I don't get in my country is the deal about not having any re-employ centres anymore to cater for disabled needs at work as they have already axed most disability benefits for the long-term disabled. I get it s because the correct speed and value of the work, involving intervention wasn't quite there, but there ought to be a better long-term solution for these people rather than parking them off with job centre schemes that don't serve any purpose towards helping them with housing needs. I do think that taxpayers shouldn't pay for their living expenses, so it was right to have the housing benefit scrapped, but what about the right to live independent lives? shouldn't the government think about the fact they're taking others lives for granted?