Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Morphius
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Feb 2013, 11:58 pm

I've posted very little here, but do so to maybe help someone else. I'm turning 60 in early April 2013, have been married 40 years this July and been in the same technical job all my life. I went the technical school route after dropping out of college after being told by my English Comp. teacher to do so. I had flunked English for three straight times, very much later in life I discovered Austism & AS and Dyslexia. Over the years I learned to reread what I write many times over to correct it, so my posting is somewhat labored. I discovered the above conditions at age 50 , the doctor said it was easy to diagnose me. Anyway, my trade is that of an offset pressman. It allowed me to deal with machines a lot and people very little most of my working life. It is very much a dying trade now with newspapers dying out, etc., and computers taking over the newsletters on the small press markets. At age 60, I have just taken a bold step and changed to a state job to get much need benefits, etc. The last five years I have worked with a hourly wage only with no health and retirement benefits. We were a small business group plan that ran into problems when the boss and a young co-worker came down with lymphoma and leukemia. The boss five years back dropped all health insurance except his. So from 55 years of age on I've worked overtime to land some sort of job with benefits. It took five years to get the right job to at least answer the job security problem of a terminally ill boss, no health insurance and no anything other benefits. But I did have a non criminal record and a good job history in the graphic arts industry. A few years back I took a second weekend job for extra money as a "Self Storage" weekend manager and found this to be a good job for an Aspie. These jobs provide the "full time" manager with an apartment on site and nice paying job with benefits. These are just some thoughts, on my job history trying to find the "Non-Toxic" job situation.