Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 2:04 pm

Hi:
I work as a telemarketer for a nice company and I have been doing so for a year. Anyway, for those of you who are telemarketers yourselves, you get all kinds of people and responses.]

In my case, some of these people I had to laugh at when I get off the phone because their responses can be anything from petty to ludacris.

In this case, I was doing my work and spoke to one person and I will call A. I went into my pitch and then I got a no. A then told me that they had to run because they were in the middle of something. I told them I too had to run and thanked him for his time since I had calls to make and chuckled quietly while hanging up.

A called back a little irritated and maybe insulted. "Miss, we just spoke on the phone while you were trying to sell me something. Do you view me as a joke or something?" Paraphrased.

I said I was sorry and hung up.

So, the next time someone tells me that they are busy and I want to let them know that I am as well, what is the best way to do so without causing so much as a stir to make the other person nasty.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 2:42 pm

Just say "Thank you. Bye!" and hang up, then classify them as a non-contact/disconnected and never call them again.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 3:45 pm

I usually do and I sometimes tell other prospects that I understand that they are busy and try to relate by mentioning that I am also busy. This was the first a prospect tried to cross the line

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 6:36 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Hi:
I work as a telemarketer for a nice company and I have been doing so for a year. Anyway, for those of you who are telemarketers yourselves, you get all kinds of people and responses.]

In my case, some of these people I had to laugh at when I get off the phone because their responses can be anything from petty to ludacris.

In this case, I was doing my work and spoke to one person and I will call A. I went into my pitch and then I got a no. A then told me that they had to run because they were in the middle of something. I told them I too had to run and thanked him for his time since I had calls to make and chuckled quietly while hanging up.

A called back a little irritated and maybe insulted. "Miss, we just spoke on the phone while you were trying to sell me something. Do you view me as a joke or something?" Paraphrased.

I said I was sorry and hung up.

So, the next time someone tells me that they are busy and I want to let them know that I am as well, what is the best way to do so without causing so much as a stir to make the other person nasty.

The proper send off is what Fnord said "thankyou, bye."

But I have to ask you something.

Do you have a death wish?

YOU are calling them, and taking up THEIR time.

Not the other way around.

If you respond to them saying "Im busy" ( which fifty percent of the time is a lie to just to get you off the phone) dont EVER say "Im busy too".

Not only do you run the risk of sounding like you're mocking them.

Not only are you sounding dumb by informing them of the obvious (they know that you're on the clock doing a job).

But you come off as sounding like you're saying "my time is more valuable than yours, I can call you up and take up your time- but I only have limited time to spare to give you the great priviledge of wasting your time."

Last edited by naturalplastic on 02 Apr 2013, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 6:42 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
That galls me that you would have the nerve to say that to stranger that you're soliciting on the phone.

Dude ... she's a telemarketer! What did you expect?

:wink:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 6:58 pm

Fnord wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
That galls me that you would have the nerve to say that to stranger that you're soliciting on the phone.

Dude ... she's a telemarketer! What did you expect?

:wink:

Lol!

Ive been on BOTH sides of the telemarketing gun.

But I never lasted a whole year (like the op) at any one boiler room job.

I guess thats why!

Didnt have chutzpah to assume that folks were just dying for the privilege of having me bother them!

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 10:49 pm

Okay, I will not use the "I'm busy too," since it sounds like I am calling someone out on the carpet for their lying.

I also have been on both sides of the coin and it does not feel good to be the prospect. So, how do I keep myself from sounding like a telemarketer and more like someone trying to consult?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 7:27 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Okay, I will not use the "I'm busy too," since it sounds like I am calling someone out on the carpet for their lying.

I also have been on both sides of the coin and it does not feel good to be the prospect. So, how do I keep myself from sounding like a telemarketer and more like someone trying to consult?

You can't. You follow your script with as nice a voice as possible, stay polite no matter how rude they are, and basically be a machine. That is the job, as far as I can tell (sitting only on the other side).

If they want the product, they will turn the conversation into more of a consulting one. You don't start the turn, they do.